Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jun-17 08:43:28
Print Post

Creator's Edition Update timetable

[link to this post]

Just curious.

Several friends PCs have already been updated to V.1703 but neither of mine. One is set to Defer Feature Updates, the other is not so set.

Any idea what the MS timetable is for updating, at least the non-deferred systems? And how long before even a deferred system gets updated?

I'm aware I could manually get it, but that's not the point of my question.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Wed 07-Jun-17 08:44:05)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jun-17 09:00:28
Print Post

Re: Creator's Edition Update timetable

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I don't think there's any fixed timetable. It all depends upon your hardware configuration. Until Microsoft have tested on a similar configuration they won't push the update to you.

You can always chance it, but I'm waiting on the word from Microsoft. My SurfaceBook updated almost immediately, but my desktop hasn't done so yet. The hardware is 5 years old, or so, which probably explains the delay.

==================================
Sovereignty really does mean sovereignty
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jun-17 09:52:44
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Thanks.

That probably explains it, my desktop is March 2011, laptop February 2012 - all working very well on Win 10 1607.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 07-Jun-17 09:55:07
Print Post

The one I use all the time was updated weeks ago. The other was off at the time the "We are preparing your computer for updating" message or similar came up as a large notification on the now updated one. That message asked whether to do it there and then or select a time.

I let it do it next morning. Turned on the other machine and have left it running since. Zilch.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jun-17 10:17:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm visiting elderly friends Friday evening and have had an email from them including
My lap-top has up-dated Windows 10, but I suspect may have added all sorts of things I do not need. I have the impression it just may not have quite enough memory to cope fast with things. When it automatically or because I ask it to save the document I am working on (currently always word documents) it has its circling blue dots, and usually briefly turns the screen off.

Might it have downloaded all sorts of things I will never use? Or might it be because it also has the Acer stuff (it is an Acer computer)?

Would take a look at it and see if you can encourage it to behave better?
Apart from driver problems - early in the Win 10 1703 life? - I'm not aware of anything particular about 1703 that might cause a laptop to run slowly.

But we'll see what's what.

Tony
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 07-Jun-17 11:05:39
Print Post

Maybe it has turned on lots of telemetry which tends to slow win 10 down. You can use Shutup10 to turn off these features
https://betanews.com/2017/04/12/oo-shutup10-1-5-prot...
Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-Jun-17 11:33:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I updated mine manually with no problems

Edited by Oldjim (Wed 07-Jun-17 11:34:07)

Standard User herbgold
(member) Wed 07-Jun-17 11:43:41
Print Post

The only difference I've noticed on my quite powerful desktop is that it takes much longer to shut down - the disk light (it's actually an SSD) comes on solid for a good couple of minutes. It always does shut down cleanly, though.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 07-Jun-17 15:18:59
Print Post

The update immediately removed my SoundblasterZX and disabled it. That's sorted out now. I got sick of the nags to set up One Drive that started after the update and uninstalled it. Every day brings something new, I never know from one day to the next what MS is going to choose to screw up for me.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 07-Jun-17 16:33:23
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I don't think there's any fixed timetable. It all depends upon your hardware configuration. Until Microsoft have tested on a similar configuration they won't push the update to you.

You can always chance it, but I'm waiting on the word from Microsoft. My SurfaceBook updated almost immediately, but my desktop hasn't done so yet. The hardware is 5 years old, or so, which probably explains the delay.

The machine i was using before i updated this was over 5 years old, an d Windows 10 CU worked ok on it, But it is not just the age it is the combination of hardware I presume. i did go back to Windows 8.1.

Now i updated to a ryzen, windows 8.1 will not work, so I have to use flipping awful windows 10.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to