Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 01-Aug-17 17:23:51
Print Post

Re: Google Earth Pro automatically installed on Windows 10

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
Surely that is the fault of Creative rather than Microsoft?

I found it difficult to see it that way. It was working perfectly and the update broke it.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Aug-17 17:30:49
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

When a bad driver prevents a device from working properly I blame those who provide the driver.
Standard User flippery
(experienced) Tue 01-Aug-17 21:25:03
Print Post

Driver updates for Windows 10 and many devices (such as network adapters, monitors, printers, and video cards) are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update.
Who do you blame if Windows does not detect device. This has happened to me and I had to install driver separately.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 01-Aug-17 21:47:08
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

The device drivers, in general, are not written by Microsoft but by the manufacturer of the device, so an error in the driver is down to them. It would not be reasonable to expect the developers of an OS to write drivers for every possible device.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Aug-17 22:07:06
Print Post

Yes but the drivers are supposed to be tested by WHQL lab.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 71334/17938
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 01-Aug-17 23:42:08
Print Post

I don't use generic drivers if there is a specific one available. Might as well get full functionality if you can. I was surprised that an OS update caused my sound system to suddenly be plunged into silence 8^).

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Aug-17 08:58:43
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by longedge:
Surely that is the fault of Creative rather than Microsoft?

I found it difficult to see it that way. It was working perfectly and the update broke it.

Me too, i had problems with my Asus sound card on windows 10, windows 10 kept trying to change the drivers as they was suppose to be better, but they was not, because the Windows 10- drivers would not work at all.

To stop it happening I had to stop updates on all hardware, because you can not just stop updates on certain hardware. Ms really did not think this out.

One reason why I went back to Windows 8.1, The problem is i am still getting a memory management error now and again, not as often as I did, but still annoying. I blame Ms, not doubt done something to make it happen on new gen CPUs.

As for having software auto update, I tend not to allow it happen apart from my antivirus.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 02-Aug-17 13:47:31
Print Post

The device drivers, in general, are not written by Microsoft but by the manufacturer of the device, so an error in the driver is down to them. It would not be reasonable to expect the developers of an OS to write drivers for every possible device.
Microsoft has consistently, for several years, replaced HP AIO printer drivers with its own without asking, when upgrading from one version of Windows to another.

The result has always been the loss of facilities such as network access from other machines via the router; ink level monitoring; and the scanning facility.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 71288/12440Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Aug-17 14:24:56
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

That's not true. Manufacturers can self-certify their drivers. This means that they will install without an error message but aren't allowed to display the "certified for Windows" logo.

WHQL tests are normally performed by the manufacturer and the logs submitted to Microsoft, though Microsoft do test some hardware.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to