Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Dec-17 09:11:09
Print Post

Re: Win 10 MINUS

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Many people have little choice unless they stop using computers. The software I use works on Windows, sure i could get a Mac, but they are over priced and not easy to update, in fact the latest ones they are almost impossible. Linux whihc i do like, do not have the software i need to do my hobby, sure i could stop doing my hobby.

I would have stayed with windows 8.1, but Ms made sure that would not work with my new processor.

then you have people who need Windows for the job they dd, but again i suppose they could give up their job like some idiot said in another forum.

windows 10 is getting worse, sooner or later it will be apps from the store only and only if you have a MS account.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 10 pro, reluctantly, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 20-Dec-17 10:16:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
windows 10 is getting worse, sooner or later it will be apps from the store only and only if you have a MS account.
Thats windows 10s. I had it on my new Surface laptop until I downloaded Pro from the store wink
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Dec-17 13:24:25
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Thats windows 10s. I had it on my new Surface laptop until I downloaded Pro from the store wink

Give it time and slowly it will spread to normal windows, maybe not the Enterprise version, but I can see it coming to Windows 10 home and then to pro.

More and more of Windows 10 is going into the cloud.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 21-Dec-17 15:04:48
Print Post

Microsoft wants our data.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Iain M. Banks -- Feersum Endjinn
Standard User longedge
(committed) Thu 21-Dec-17 15:19:14
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:

I'm not too worried about that personally - I want to prevent them getting their mitts on my cash!!

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Dec-17 17:37:46
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:

Getting as bad as Google,. but at least with google you are getting services with it and you can runt it off. Try turning off Windows 10 telemetry.
Still at least I can get rid of Cortana, until the next update and Windows re-enable it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Dec-17 21:05:34
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Newer doesn't necessarily mean better. I still use XP on two PCs with no adverse affect. People worry too much about viruses.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 25-Dec-17 09:10:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Newer doesn't necessarily mean better. I still use XP on two PCs with no adverse affect. People worry too much about viruses.

I 100% agree with you, I know someone who still uses Xp and have no problems, in fact due to the fact that Ms is not mucking around with it any more, it seems to be more reliable than it ever been.

I would love to put windows 8.1 back on here, but MS do not like that idea and have done their very bets to make sure windows 8.1 or lower do not work on this machine correctly.

Windows 10 seems to be all about how MS can get us to use their cloud service, I do not understand why they are trying so hard to get us to use their free services. I can understand google doing it because they use our data to sell advertising, but by all account MS do not, not that I believe that.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Dec-17 06:55:56
Print Post

If only I could continue to use XP but my (> 10 year) old XP PCs are now so sluggardy. What is it about OSs that make them go slower over time?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Nervous
(experienced) Tue 26-Dec-17 14:55:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Things like the registry clutter that builds up over time and broken shortcuts in the system.

Try a 30 day trial of AVG PC Tune UP which will clean up these things.

You have to take into account while the trial is 30 days they will take payment 14 days before trial ends so use PayPal and if your not interested in buying cancel after 10 days in your PayPal account.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to