Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Jan-18 21:58:11
Print Post

Windows 7 startup and closedown service messages

[link to this post]

Been helping a friend with his laptop - HP Probook 4740S running Win 7 Pro - as it was running slow and had various browser extensions that were causing popup issues.

All now resolved and the PC is running fairly sweetly, But there are some oddities that I've not seen before nor can I find anything via Google.

On Closedown or Restart it goes through various screens, including:

Shutting down Windows Update service
Shutting down Group Policy Client service
Shutting down Authentication Service service
Stopping services

On startup it again goes through various screens, including:

Please wait for the Local Session Manager...
Preparing your desktop

When it does start the desktop is correct and fully populated with the correct icons.

There are no other PCs around.

I'm wondering whether any of the browser extensions and/or similar stuff may have set some services or something else up.

I've run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, both found PUPs which have been cleaned up.

I tried using Set Userprofile from a CMD window to make sure it was pointing to his user.

It's noticeable slow when both closing down and starting up which makes me wonder if there's something else around that I need to sort.

I can only get occasional access due to difficulty inb getting a mutually suitable time. Clearly if/when I do go round it would be nice if I can progress these issues to help him.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Mon 29-Jan-18 22:00:19)

Standard User ian007jen
(experienced) Tue 30-Jan-18 20:35:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 startup and closedown service messages

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Are you sure it's not running Server(2012) and not Win7?

Seen these on server restart not desktop before....

Has something like this been done http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-verbose-status-...

Edited by ian007jen (Tue 30-Jan-18 20:39:30)

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Tue 30-Jan-18 20:53:52
Print Post

When I was trying to identify startup/close down issues I enabled verbose messages on startup and see the same sort of thing - Link (same thing as ian007jen posted)

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Jan-18 21:09:44
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Definitely Win 7 Pro.

Looks like something has enabled verbose messages (didn't know about that one smile .

I'll disable them next time I'm there.

Thank you.

Looks to be called highly detailed status messages on Win 10.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Tue 30-Jan-18 21:10:43)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 31-Jan-18 13:03:39
Print Post

Might be an idea to list the processes / services / scheduled tasks that have been disabled or changed in priority.

Failing that...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/wi...

It does sound that you're just getting the info on normal boot, rather than it all happen behind the scenes. This is why I don't tend to use msconfig, but prefer CCleaner for startup processes, services.msc for services, and so on.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 31-Jan-18 13:11:51
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

As it happens, I revisited my resources last week and gave the system a virtual enema. Another half a dozen processes, services or scheduled tasks were found and disabled. Latest boot utilisation:

https://ibb.co/c7A9Om (8GB Ram, with 2GB allocated to Gfx on the CPU)

If you fancy making a list of that system's processes, services, scheduled tasks in use, throw them my way, and I'll be happy to compare notes.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jan-18 18:18:12
Print Post

As someone said it will just be the reg key for highly detailed status messages has been enabled. Nowt to worry about, however why that setting got switched on is rather unusual.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Feb-18 18:36:24
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Might be an idea to list the processes / services / scheduled tasks that have been disabled or changed in priority.

Failing that...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/wi...

It does sound that you're just getting the info on normal boot, rather than it all happen behind the scenes. This is why I don't tend to use msconfig, but prefer CCleaner for startup processes, services.msc for services, and so on.
I also tend to use CCleaner
In reply to a post by camieabz:
As it happens, I revisited my resources last week and gave the system a virtual enema. Another half a dozen processes, services or scheduled tasks were found and disabled. Latest boot utilisation:

https://ibb.co/c7A9Om (8GB Ram, with 2GB allocated to Gfx on the CPU)

If you fancy making a list of that system's processes, services, scheduled tasks in use, throw them my way, and I'll be happy to compare notes.
Thanks for the other, I may well take you up on it. The startup processes, CCleaner listing, seem fairly reasonable for his needs, though I'd like to get rid of iCloud if I can persuade him, he uses Dropbox so I'm not aware of any real need for iCloud. As it's 'only' got 4GB RAM stripping stuff out of the start up sequence would be beneficial.

I'd also like to try to find out why it apparently often has a process or two stopping closedown, and why closedown takes so long, after the Shutting Down message
In reply to a post by Pipexer:
As someone said it will just be the reg key for highly detailed status messages has been enabled. Nowt to worry about, however why that setting got switched on is rather unusual.
Indeed, it intrigues me also. I'm not aware of anyone else having had a 'play' with the PC, I'll try to find out.

As ever, thanks for all these thoughts. It might be a little while before I can get to have another look. I'll get back as and when.

Tony
Standard User Aabia
(newbie) Mon 05-Mar-18 06:13:21
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 startup and closedown service messages *DELETED*

Post deleted by seb
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Mar-18 08:17:28
Print Post

[re: Aabia] [link to this post]

You should avoid sites like this purporting to offer Windows support. At best they are, as you have discovered, useless. At worst they are scams or host malware.

Use the Microsoft support forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to