Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 04-Jun-18 21:14:12
Print Post

HP full factory reset claims to remove personal information.

[link to this post]

.. it doesn't!

Long story short is that last week we bought a new office computer to replace an ageing Win7 machine. After initial setup, I installed Sage 50 Accounts which initially ran OK but on second run it crashed with a dll error on SGSchemeManager.dll. Google led me to hundreds of similar instances but no resolution. After wasting a couple of day, in desperation I did a full factory reset which HP claims removes *all* personal information and resets the computer to factory conditions

After going through the initial setup again, I installed Sage 50 Accounts once more and was mildly suspicious that this time I wasn't asked for a serial/key. After installation it crashed again straightaway.

I did another full factory reset choosing to wipe all drives completely. After the initial setup I searched the PC for SGSchemeManager.dll and it was still there (in C:/Windows/WinSXS). When I opened the file location there was a whole load of Sage files along with the problem one.

It seems to me that HP are deliberately telling lies.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-18 12:08:58
Print Post

Re: HP full factory reset claims to remove personal informat

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I've taken a sledge hammer to crack this nut. Returned the computer and got a brand new replacement. I suppose that it's down to Windows 10 recovery/factory reset failing to fully reset Windows.

I think this time I'll boot with a mobile apps USB and make an image of the SSD before I even do the initial setup.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 08-Jun-18 13:23:25
Print Post

So whatever other Sage (and possibly other) information on it has now been handed over to unknown people at an unknown place. Neat! tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-18 16:52:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes quite. Despite the assurance that all information has been erased - Microsoft/HP are telling porkies. In this case there is clearly the Serial/Key for Sage 50 embedded somewhere. I've done it knowingly.

I've followed the Microsoft/HP recommended procedure prior to disposal of a computer 3 times over. How many others do so thinking they've protected themselves.

Didn't feel like scrapping a week old PC. I normally remove and reformat HDD's with a lump hammer and cold chisel.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jun-18 17:22:11
Print Post

What Microsoft recommended procedure? Here's a Microsoft procedure that would do the job: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downlo...

It's really pretty easy to securely wipe a hard disk (but I wouldn't class a manufacturers' factory reset as one of those methods).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Fri 08-Jun-18 17:46:43
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Yes - SysInternals stuff is good. (Edit - perhaps better before MS swallowed it)

But built into Win 10 and described at - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windo...

--------------------------
Remove everything

Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
Removes apps and drivers you installed.
Removes changes you made to settings.
Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.
-----------------------

It's a moot point now as it's a done deal.

Edited by longedge (Fri 08-Jun-18 17:51:35)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 09-Jun-18 00:34:42
Print Post

When uninstalling Sage and other programs from a PC prior to handover from being a company PC to someone's home PC (probably a relation of one of the directors), I basically uninstalled all non-essential programs, created a new dummy account, deleted the old user accounts, and cleaned out all the user and system folders that pertained to said programs.

Then ran CCleaner cleanup, then did a secure erase of all free space. Also deleted all old system restore points and so on.

Can't speak for winsxs as its a system mirror for lots of stuff (including drivers).

Looking forward, if I was to pass on any system HDD or SDD, I would clean erase it, format and whatever else before handing it over. Pretty sure it's not HP's fault; rather their lack of knowledge.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 09-Jun-18 00:43:04
Print Post

But does it do a comprehensive wipe of the disc, which requires several passes to cater for position variation of the head each time wink. Though I am talking of GCHQ security level wipes smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 71307/12780Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to