Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 05-Nov-18 04:33:14
Print Post

Browser with easy to disable updates

[link to this post]

Is there such a beast?

Also...easy to configure, optional, as opposed to forced settings and so on.

More and more software is forcing updates on users, whether they have brains or not. I don't want unsolicited drive / network activity. I want to decide when updates happen.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 03:29:16
Print Post

Re: Browser with easy to disable updates

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Firefox has the option to choose updates manually.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 06-Nov-18 03:51:20
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Hmmm. Tried it tonight. It has the option to:

- Automatically install them (recommended)

- Check for updates but check with you which ones to install

What I want is manual update checking. I might go down the route of disabling or deleting whatever app or script FF uses to update.

Main reason is that if I do find a setup I like, I don't want it changing to some other setup that some other person prefers.

Thx though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Nov-18 06:35:19
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Cent browser which is based on chrome allows you to turn off updates and then you can check manually., I have been using Cent browser for around 12 months now and i think it is one of the better chrome based browsers.,

Why you would want to turn of browser updates is another thing, but up to you at the end of the day.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered and back to windows 8.1, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 06-Nov-18 10:22:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Apart from Firefox, where ppl are forever tinkering for fun and because they think the more tricks and complexity the better, arenít most browser updates fixes to newly discovered security vulnerabilities?

And of course Edge, where it was never completely written before release anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 06-Nov-18 13:20:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well you would think, but I was on Opera 45/46 (forget which), and updates were ok, because they could be disabled. Then Opera updated to 47, and suddenly there's a red box on my browser's bar when there are updates. It can't be got rid of easily, if you're not in the mood to update. That to me is intrusive. Not all updates to browser versions are security, and not all are guaranteed to work. I prefer letting other, more naive intrepid users test software. wink

To get rid of the persistant red box, I had to create a shortcut with:
"C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\47.0.2631.55\opera.exe" -disable-update

So for me, if I have to hack my browser to get it working the way I want it, I don't want it. smile
  Print Thread

Jump to