User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 03-Jun-10 16:33:42
Print Post

Re: New long-distance wireless broadband in Essex?

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Thanks for sharing with us your experiences so far with this provider.

I got an e-mail from them yesterday and they said they would get in touch with me next week. Hope to get a site survey done as soon as possible, and if this service can be provided at the advertised speeds, then we'll go for it. However, we are about 20 miles from their transmitter mast, but there might be a good reception when the transmitter/receiver dish or box gets installed on our roof top.

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Sun 13-Jun-10 22:23:09
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

One small point, if you go for it and they still use the Ubiquiti Nanostation receiver, it's supplied with cable ties for a pole fixing but the UK supplier suggests fixing with hose clips instead.

I'm just therefore wondering if my problem is that with the gusty spring winds here it's moved slightly out of alignment with the transmitter accordingly. Still have my speed issue, but with the increased signal strength no outages at all for 10 days now.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Wed 16-Jun-10 22:01:47
Print Post

Well, it's over 2 weeks now since FibreWiFi launched its wireless service, and we have heard nothing from them. Is this just another flop like some of the other counsel sponsored WiMax trials in Essex in the past?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-Jun-10 22:49:30
Print Post

Probably.

And if you expect to get a link from 20 miles away then I fear your optimism matches your naivety in expecting to receive such a high speed service for so little, and then expecting it to be a financially robust solution. Perhaps understandable in the era of marketing where Broadband is a commodity that has no value attached to it. I may be proved wrong, but unlikely.

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:
Well, it's over 2 weeks now since FibreWiFi launched its wireless service, and we have heard nothing from them. Is this just another flop like some of the other counsel sponsored WiMax trials in Essex in the past?
Standard User kijoma
(member) Thu 17-Jun-10 08:32:15
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

hi,

the usual checks show Fibrewifi was formed at the end of March this year via a "make me a company" agent , Buzcom doesn't seem to exist..

Time will tell if Mr Disley and Miss Turner produce results i suppose.

Lets hope for the sake of the reputation of the Wireless industry, which could do with less failed wannabe's, that they can deliver the claimed speed at the claimed price!

I know from years of experience that you can only meet those objectives if you don't expect a large wage as director, invest heavily (i.e. nearly everything out goes back in) and don't go employing a load of numpties laugh.

Oh and of course don't let potential customer demand bully you into deviating from your sustainable plan tongue

Give them time and see what unfolds...

Cheers

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Probably.

And if you expect to get a link from 20 miles away then I fear your optimism matches your naivety in expecting to receive such a high speed service for so little, and then expecting it to be a financially robust solution. Perhaps understandable in the era of marketing where Broadband is a commodity that has no value attached to it. I may be proved wrong, but unlikely.

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Thu 17-Jun-10 08:43:03
Print Post

A pity. I grant you are pushing it at 20miles, though see the PDF datasheet referred to on this page which indicates it can be done (normal range 10km, but up to 100 with external antenna so it's a more complicated install, and their stuff is ordered from the US though delivery in my case was within a week if in stock): http://ubnt.com/nanostation and download the NS5 datasheet. I've now got a continuous service with the increased signal strength and they have been going, formerly as W20, since 2004. It all I think depends on whether there are tall obstructions: e.g. buildings, woods, hills in direct line to the transmitter. (I also know they have at least one customer on their "old" service who got a signal over 15 miles from the transmitter with the same receiver as me (because the "line of sight" was OK) so it can be done. And that was not over the Dengie, which is largely flat isn't it? The newer Nanostation which they now use is more powerful, as well as I suspect the new transmitter which will serve you. (Is it the St. Lawrence water tower, which must be the highest thing for miles? As an afterthought before I'm corrected, as long as the decommissioned Bradwell nuclear power station isn't in the direct line of the signal, presumably!!)

They've now confirmed I've an old version Nanostation which is limited to max. 10Mbps aggregate (which is why I can't get the enhanced speeds, but which I don't need), but I have in the past achieved about 13Mbps aggregate at 6km from the transmitter (over 7 down/6 up) Remember like most WISP operators they only have 1 or 2 engineers and they will probably tackle easy jobs first so they can use their resources more effectively: I think if you want to pursue it you might have to make yourself a bit of a pest by regularly reminding them. There's no guarantee you'll be able to get the service, but if you do there is a very good prospect it will be stable and reliable.

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 17-Jun-10 12:12:23)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 17-Jun-10 12:22:07
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Well, I called them today, and they said that this service was launched at the beginning of June. They promised to call me back today, will see what happens next. We are definately in their coverage area according to their map.

Edited by JNeuhoff (Thu 17-Jun-10 12:23:29)

Standard User kijoma
(member) Thu 17-Jun-10 22:19:10
Print Post

Hi,

20 miles is no big problem if nothing is in the way, we have customers in excess of this distance using kit we fitted over 3 years ago (way before the Ubiquiti stuff came out)

these customers still get our headline speeds of 16 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up for the business services.

Stretching a nano M5 over 15 miles is a painful idea, if they are of course they are definitely not staying within the legal power limits of the band. that can be worked out easily with a path loss calculator , distance and power/aerial gain etc..

The older nanostation i think you refer to tops out at about 30 Mbps (tested here) , that's with an ideal signal. the limit is actually the CPU used in the device and 30 Mbps of course is only in "turbo" mode. in normal mode it would do ~24 Mbps tops.. so not much point for turbo apart from reduced on air time (which can be important).

the newer nano M product can push 85 Mbps one way or 150 Mbps aggregate in an ideal scenario.. again in a "turbo" mode..

the 16 dB gain antenna means the M5 isn't one for long distances and high speed combined!

Trees are an evil device , without care when surveying they can come back and bite hard in a year or two... fortunately in the 5 years+ we have been providing we have only had three cases of having to move a client aerial due to tree growth and there are a lot of trees! here..

What is interesting is that without external software the nano's do not comply with UK regs, we spent a lot of time writing code on our servers to emulate the functionality required by the licence... (automatic power control and proper DFS).

Cheers

In reply to a post by smurf46:
A pity. I grant you are pushing it at 20miles, though see the PDF datasheet referred to on this page which indicates it can be done (normal range 10km, but up to 100 with external antenna so it's a more complicated install, and their stuff is ordered from the US though delivery in my case was within a week if in stock): http://ubnt.com/nanostation and download the NS5 datasheet. I've now got a continuous service with the increased signal strength and they have been going, formerly as W20, since 2004. It all I think depends on whether there are tall obstructions: e.g. buildings, woods, hills in direct line to the transmitter. (I also know they have at least one customer on their "old" service who got a signal over 15 miles from the transmitter with the same receiver as me (because the "line of sight" was OK) so it can be done. And that was not over the Dengie, which is largely flat isn't it? The newer Nanostation which they now use is more powerful, as well as I suspect the new transmitter which will serve you. (Is it the St. Lawrence water tower, which must be the highest thing for miles? As an afterthought before I'm corrected, as long as the decommissioned Bradwell nuclear power station isn't in the direct line of the signal, presumably!!)

They've now confirmed I've an old version Nanostation which is limited to max. 10Mbps aggregate (which is why I can't get the enhanced speeds, but which I don't need), but I have in the past achieved about 13Mbps aggregate at 6km from the transmitter (over 7 down/6 up) Remember like most WISP operators they only have 1 or 2 engineers and they will probably tackle easy jobs first so they can use their resources more effectively: I think if you want to pursue it you might have to make yourself a bit of a pest by regularly reminding them. There's no guarantee you'll be able to get the service, but if you do there is a very good prospect it will be stable and reliable.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Thu 17-Jun-10 23:11:12
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Very helpful reply, thanks. A lot of it gels with what W20/Fibre Wi-Fi have told me, including the need to use their own customised software. They reckon the new NanoM is vastly superior to my older version (horizontal and vertical aerial and the MIMO technology?) but if I understand you correctly my installation is under-performing (depending on the transmitter) at less than 10km and with speeds which were around 7Mbps down/6 up, and have halved in the last couple of months - any ideas on what could have caused that sort of reduction in your experience? There are individual trees around, none of enough height within 0.5 mile, the transmitter is on the only tower block in the area, between me and it lies a river valley, a couple of housing estates on the valley sides, and I'm on a hill! . Nothing has changed in my internal set up (ethernet cable to PC). There's no dropouts, just the speed issue. They've enhanced the backhaul and increased the power at the transmitter.(There used to be a cap at 10 Mbps as it was an advertised 4Mbps SDSL service, but it's been removed).

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 17-Jun-10 23:13:33)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Mon 21-Jun-10 11:29:48
Print Post

Well, it seems you are the only customer of FibreWifi smile

I first got in touch with them about a month ago, and still haven't heard from them.

I have had similar experiences with other long distance wireless operators in the past, I don't think FibreWifi will last very long.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to