User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Dec-10 09:51:10
Print Post

Re: New long-distance wireless broadband in Essex?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Really, what package are you looking at? The cheapest they have for business is 4down / 2up for £49.00. I really want to get away from BT but at the moment I am getting 4.5down / 0.40up for £26.99, £49.00 is a big jump.

Saying that, I would love the benefit of 2m up, no more hanging of large emails.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Sep-11 10:03:48
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

This is a very useful thread, both for and against. Thanks.
Can anyone add any experience of other radio broadband operators in the area e.g. County Broadband? Do they have similar problems?
W. Sunnucks
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 11-Sep-11 20:20:31
Print Post

Just a quick update on Fibre WiFi. Since my old model receiver was replaced in summer 2010, things have improved. There hasn't been any outages for months, and downloads have been consistent around 10 Mbps as I'm on their older Chelmsford network not the newer Maldon and Uttlesford ones and uploads of about half that. Pings usually below 20 and packet loss about 4%. All in all I think it's been good value and reliable if you're stuck on a poor ADSL line. The choice between operators is I think who can give you the better line of sight. Service hasn't been affected by weather over the last 15 months, and no noticeable problems from contention at usual busy times.

No-one was ever convinced by what I said, but by what they understood.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Oct-11 11:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
This is a very useful thread, both for and against. Thanks.
Can anyone add any experience of other radio broadband operators in the area e.g. County Broadband? Do they have similar problems?
W. Sunnucks

There is a company called Skyline Networks that covers much of the South East but they are more tailored to the SME market. SLA is very impressive as is their client list but way too expensive for a small business or residential.
Standard User foresight1
(newbie) Tue 15-Nov-11 18:52:49
Print Post

Hi All

Very useful thread, thanks to all.
Would anyone be on this thread who's using WB at present in the Bradwell, St Lawerence, Stone area who could advise on the transfer quality, lost packets are more of a concern than outright speed
Thanks in advance
Standard User nigelo
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 13:51:30
Print Post

[re: foresight1] [link to this post]

Just to add some balance on this thread, I've been with FibreWiFi for over a year and just renewed my annual contract. I have clear LOS to the water tower at Latchingdon (actually Cold Norton) at apprx 3km.

Performance varies depending on time of day but usually 10/12 mb download and 6/10 mb upload using speedtest.net. Carrying out simple tracert tests at times of low speed suggests the issue to be within easynet backbone and not the wifi connection. Packet loss is usually zero and actaul download / upload is ultra reliable.

Just for the record, I am not connected to FibreWiFi or even the industry in any way, just VERY satisfied with the standard service.

hope this helps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 14:52:40
Print Post

[re: nigelo] [link to this post]

I now have Fibe wifi fitted and very pleased. In Bradwell but going across river to Tiptree water tower.
Drop outs been zero so far and packet loss seems to be zero.
The high up load speed, tend to get 10/10 most of the time makes voip very clear to the recieving party
Not sure how well encrypted the data is over the wifi, does any one care to enlighten me ?
Standard User Essex
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 16:14:47
Print Post

Well this is now the second year. I have had numerous problems. When it was link to / Norton tower it is was fine. To improve the signal although I had Line of Sight. I had a ' Dish' and not the normal radio installed later. perfect. Then at some point they decided to do another upgrade flash to the rom. This was corrupted and I lost my service for over 3 weeks. Eventually after a second install the dish was taken away and finally replaced with a radio. This was linked to a new local repeater in the village. Started out ok. approx 9-mbs down 5-6 up. after a couple of months all sort of things things started happening. The last time Mr Disley blamed Google DNS servers.!!

Gary Disley ( Director was repeatedly contacted over the poor service. At one stage i was told to 'go away and return the kit.' He no longer could be bothered to resolve the problem. A friend of mine who also had similer problems was told the same. He is another village and has line of sight to a different Tower.

I have kept a complete excel chart from speednet.net since inception It is clear as my line of sight that i am getting an appalling service. It can work, but Mr Disley just cannot be bothered to make it work if a problem occurs.

As this organization is run with BDUK, Uttlesford Council funding. Hence the Super FstWith approval of Chelmsford County Council, Local Maldon Council and prominent named MP John Whittingdale and MEP Vicky Ford.

Maybe it is time an investigation is required into the business practices of Mr Disley and his company. As a well known Member of Parliament and MEP have put their.names. to this service. Or lack of might be better.

I have tried very hard to get Mr Disley to rectify a wrong. I have even paid for further engineers to come, Offered to pay for better more update Radio from Unbiquiti

Today i have just done a speedtest from thinkbroadband.

This is the result
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Mr Disley does not agree he says it is all ok from his end ???

This product can work, when setup and serviced correctly it works great and I was very pleased.
But the backups for faults is appalling.

Should I ever get my service working like it it did initially I will happily report back.

During the meantime I advise you to really tread carefully with Mr G Disley and ask a lot of questions. Especially about those backup and service.
Standard User anglianbroadband
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 10:40:34
Print Post

[re: Essex] [link to this post]

To be fair what Buzcom offer is amazing for the price. A £30/month 2meg service is more achievable but is only attractive in not-spot areas. Airzone, Stour Valley Wireless and Anglian Rural Broadband offer these in Essex as an alternative to Buzcom.

Connecting you to 2meg or more in rural Essex
Standard User arthurmeg
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 11:31:27
Print Post

[re: anglianbroadband] [link to this post]

Contacted fibrewifi & Stour Valley Wireless about providing a connection to Wakes Colne, they didn't reply so does anyone know if these companies are still in business? Alternatively does anyone know of other alternatives as the BT connection is rubbish in Wakes Colne.

PS County Broadband have been approached by the local parish council but nothing is happening.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to