User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Tue 11-May-10 09:36:10
Print Post

New long-distance wireless broadband in Essex?

[link to this post]

This morning there was a news item on BBC Essex about a new long-distance wireless broadband service being launched in Essex, starting with Chelmsford, with symmetric speeds of 25mbps or 50mbps.

Unfortunately, I was unable to catch the details of this new provider.

Has anybody else listened in to this BBC Essex show and took down some notes about who thbis new broadband provider is?

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-May-10 13:32:21
Print Post

Re: New long-distance wireless broadband in Essex?

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

quick google found:- http://www.airzonebroadband.co.uk/index.html might be them.

Very little info on their web site though.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Standard User Hysteria
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-May-10 13:38:52
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

A client in my last job used these, connection was pretty reliable.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Vivaciti via Murphx - So far as good as Zen!
Nov '09 - Jan '10: ZeN - Excellent Speeds/Low Latency 24/7 - Bit pricey for allowance
Nov 08' - '09: O2 - Great Speed and Latency - between 2am and 2pm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Tue 11-May-10 14:04:19
Print Post

I don't listen to BBC Essex, but for the last few months I've had a fixed wireless service north-west of Chelmsford from W20 Net (www.w20.net), based at Great Leighs race course and with a transmitter in north-east Chelmsford. They have a new backhaul line coming into Chelmsford apparently this month (which must be good since speeds have deterioriated recently from their advertised 4Meg SDSL residential service which was giving speeds up to 7Meg, much better that BT or LLU providers can offer in villages here of a max 3.5Meg!), which I'm told should herald a significant speed increase (though I'm dubious its what's quoted). I also understand they were looking to expand though it depended on the outcome of a local bidding process to improve broadband to the east Essex coastal areas. Perhaps I got a good deal in that case with just the installation/equipment cost.

If it is they, then they're not new being around since 2004 (I think) when they won an earlier bidding process to provide wireless broadband to Roding valley villages between Chelmsford and Harlow who didn't have ADSL through their exchange.

Edited by smurf46 (Tue 11-May-10 14:12:34)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 11-May-10 17:37:16
Print Post

Or in North Essex this might be of interest: http://www.countybroadband.net/coverage/
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Wed 12-May-10 15:11:52
Print Post

Thank you all for your replies.

In the meantime, I found it on the BBC Essex site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p007phpd/Mid_mo...

It refers to a company called FibreWiFi located in Chelmsford, Essex.

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Wed 12-May-10 19:25:32
Print Post

Very interesting. From http://www.fibrewifi.com/about-us/people it is the same people as those who run and installed my existing service. I do remember them saying they were considering the change of trading name to BuzCom and were bidding for Essex council funds, but heard nothing more about it, and assumed it had become mired as many government initiatives do.

For the time being, I seem to be stuck in the slower lane, but the current 4Meg SDSL is actually OK for my existing use! It's been a bit erratic lately though so hopefully that will improve following the recent works to their network. Reliability is certainly better this week than for the last month!!

(PS they did say when I mentioned the recent fall off that "the new line to Chelmsford due in May will make a big difference to my connection" but I don't think I become this sort of local wi-fi hotspot though!!).

Edited by smurf46 (Wed 12-May-10 20:02:39)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 13-May-10 11:10:13
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Meanwhile, I got in touch with them. We are in their covered area, and if they can really provide the symmetric 25 or 50 Mbps service, this is certainly much more useful for business users than the unreliable Max DSL over the old BT copper wires.

Standard User Hysteria
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-May-10 16:25:29
Print Post

Damn, they're coverage is just a few miles short from around where I live. Never mind !
Looks good, prices are excellent too, will be interested to see how the service performs if you go ahead with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Vivaciti via Murphx - So far as good as Zen!
Nov '09 - Jan '10: ZeN - Excellent Speeds/Low Latency 24/7 - Bit pricey for allowance
Nov 08' - '09: O2 - Great Speed and Latency - between 2am and 2pm
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Fri 14-May-10 08:19:18
Print Post

[re: Hysteria] [link to this post]

As an existing customer on their (4 Mbps SDSL) residential service, I understand we are getting moved over to this new service this month, so if there's anything useful to report I'll post back.

Generally their 4Mbps service achieved an aggregate of up & down speeds of between 7 and 10 Mbps split 6:4 (which could be either way!). I think that was its max. using, I believe, a Nanostation 5 receiver on the TV aerial pole, as the highest point on my roof, some 6km from the transmitter. The installation and CS were exemplary, and the service too through the winter. The downtime was normally less than an aggregate hour or so a week, usually overnight, apart from the inevitable disruption during works on the new upgrade. I think I'm lucky being on a hill, and mostly not obstructed by trees or higher buildings, but I surmise that neither are problems over much of the Dengie/Essex coast, which makes it a suitable area.

A couple of things which might need clarification are an installation cost for the aerial/connectors (mine has a power supply over ethernet cable) and contention (less likely I assume on the higher cost business packages). Download speeds tended to be a bit higher in the later evenings. Also if t&c's remain the same it's a 12m min. term, with auto- renewal thereafter for 12m unless 30 days notice of termination given before the anniversary, though of course they might not implement this.

Edited by smurf46 (Fri 14-May-10 14:33:20)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Tue 18-May-10 09:54:58
Print Post

As regards the T&C:

It will be still the same. According to their website:

The minimum contract period is 12 months, after which time the contract will renew for a further 12 month period each year unless 30 days written notice is given prior to the annual renewal anniversary. The customer will be notified by electronic mail to their nominated email address 60 days prior to a contract anniversary.

What worries me is that even their highest package has a monthly limit of no more than 80GB. I can't find any details about the costs for excess usage, e.g. how much is it for each additional GB used?

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Tue 18-May-10 14:53:35
Print Post

Ask them, I think they're feeling their way on usage limits and you could negotiate. Their "old" package stated "unlimited usage of it's service by it's subscribers. However where [W20 Ltd/old name] detects the service is being compromised due to excessive demands being placed on it's infrastructure then it reserves the right to introduce usage limits". No evidence of such "excessive demands" to date. In practice I use it in addition to the ADSL landline for things where the higher speeds are useful. I surmise they wouldn't be rigid on the limits from their normal attitude (so wouldn't automatically disconnect or reduce speeds though they have the capacity to do so) BUT it all depends on how popular the service will be, and I've no idea on that or what the business demand will be. Their driver here is the extra capacity from their new fibre link (provided for this service expansion, and hopefully with room to spare).

From experience so far I'd be a bit nervous of relying just on fixed wi-fi other than as, or without, a backup, not just on the limits but more the risk of signal interference (which I do have for instance putting it out for several hours over last night) UNLESS you are in clear line of sight to the transmitter or a repeater station (which I'm not).

Edited by smurf46 (Tue 18-May-10 15:12:37)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Tue 18-May-10 18:44:44
Print Post

From experience so far I'd be a bit nervous of relying just on fixed wi-fi other than as, or without, a backup, not just on the limits but more the risk of signal interference (which I do have for instance putting it out for several hours over last night) UNLESS you are in clear line of sight to the transmitter or a repeater station (which I'm not).

Several hours of disrupted service is quite a long time (though it frequently happens on our landline with IDNet, too). Was there any announcements on this somewhere on their status pages? Planned maintenance works? I would expect a business class service to be more reliable.

Edited by JNeuhoff (Tue 18-May-10 18:47:18)

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Wed 19-May-10 07:43:01
Print Post

You're right my current disruption might well be down to work around their transmitter in connection with the new service provision but there are no status pages. However that's the exception (this sort of upgrade is one event in six years and was also confidential for contractual reasons) and whilst I'm no expert and my apologies in advance as you probably know this already, I think the general issue is slightly different from fixed line broadband. And don't forget I'm on the resi not business package which has a 99% SLA.

As I understand it wi-fi uses a small unlicensed portion of the wireless band, and very low strength signals by law, so the signal can become blocked e.g. it once happened unexpectedly with some new security fencing around the roof of the the tower block which contains their secondary transmitter (from which I'm served), and I suppose could be whilst people are working around the transmitter (which could be other operators doing overnight maintenance). There are also only 4 broadcast channels.

I think the new service is served from a local water tower on the Dengie, where I suspect there is less competition. My signal crosses hilly north Chelmsford and there are other new operators in the area, so I suspect there is a greater risk of interference, as well as the trees coming into leaf. As I said earlier "usual" downtime is <1 hour per week and any issues tend to be overnight and addressed by 8am. But any signal issues (apart from at the transmitter and I know of only one example bar the recent expansion in their 6 years of operating) are likely to affect only a single connection (because of the "line of sight" issue) rather than generally, so I don't think could be addressed on status pages realistically even though the connection is monitored (DPA apart from anything else). The benefit of wireless is that if you have a good signal on installation, it will stay that way unless there is something like a new building or forest that gets in the way and they don't tend to spring up overnight, and then it'd more likely be a drop in signal strength which doesn't translate directly to a drop in speed. (For me the great advantage was to by-pass the flaky underground cables and regular DSLAM faults which plague the landline).

I also think but stand to be corrected, it's a mesh network so aerials act as repeaters which strengthens the signal (which you receive from more than one direction), unfortunately this doesn't work for me as the first customer in my area. Their tech guy Alex seems to be very highly regarded by local techies so you could probably get much more comfort from a discussion with him.

Edited by smurf46 (Wed 19-May-10 08:33:13)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-May-10 12:10:23
Print Post

Re: New long-distance wireless broadband in Essex? *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-May-10 22:58:29
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That post is spam!

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury Broadband; Highnam Broadand; Newent Broadband; Painswick Broadband
=======================
380 customers in total (and growing)!
=======================
Symmetric Pro

Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Wed 26-May-10 14:10:54
Print Post

My existing fixed wireless service was transferred to their new FibreWiFi service on Thursday last week, and since then no further outages. However I can't be of much help on actual vs. projected speeds as I'm in a projected poor service area (very light green on the coverage map), and it shows: whilst upload is a consistent 3.5Mbps, download varies from 1.4Mbps up to 4.7Mbps (and stays at whichever level for several days), so it will become the ADSL (a steady 3.5Mbps download on a poor quality local loop with 49.5dB att.) backup.

Unfortunately my problem is that I'm now outside the new coverage area for the improved service, so what was my old minimum download speed has become the new maximum. That's life, I suppose, and the risk of paying a for service upfront rather than on subscription!
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Wed 26-May-10 20:26:00
Print Post

Unfortunately my problem is that I'm now outside the new coverage area for the improved service, so what was my old minimum download speed has become the new maximum. That's life, I suppose, and the risk of paying a for service upfront rather than on subscription!

Can't you go back to the old service? Also, didn't they do a site survey before installation and the sigup for the new contract? Your speeds are well below the advertised 25Mbps.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 31-May-10 14:14:07
Print Post

Post deleted by seb
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Wed 02-Jun-10 14:33:40
Print Post

Yes they do a site survey, and have now increased the power level in my sector. Unfortunately the installation was in winter, and I think there is a huge tree (within 0.5 mile) obstructing the direct line to the transmitter which is the problem. For instance on the 4Mbps SDSL service I was contracted for, I was getting a combined figure up/down of near 13Mbps in early May, now its risen to just over 8 (4 each way). I think summer surveys are better for that reason, but if you're thinking of getting the service find out where the local transmitter is, and do a visual inspection for any nearby obstructions in the direct line e.g. tall buildings or trees, and obviously the higher the receiver than on a domestic building the better. Other physical factors such as weather conditions had no effect at all, even during the relatively "bad" recent winter, when the speeds were at some of their highest.

Touch wood no dropouts since they increased the power level, and apart from the less than 1 hour aggregate/week overnight, that was also the case during the winter period. In a village without its own exchange, flaky underground wiring for 2m+ and insufficient population for FTTC, I still think these are some of the best speeds and reliable service I'm going to get for the foreseeable future.

The new service would be a no-cost upgrade for me so I don't think I can justifiably complain, but obviously with new sign-ups you'd be assessed for the new service. I'm just a bit jealous (& too far from the transmitter for the max potential 50Mbps)!
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 03-Jun-10 16:33:42
Print Post

Thanks for sharing with us your experiences so far with this provider.

I got an e-mail from them yesterday and they said they would get in touch with me next week. Hope to get a site survey done as soon as possible, and if this service can be provided at the advertised speeds, then we'll go for it. However, we are about 20 miles from their transmitter mast, but there might be a good reception when the transmitter/receiver dish or box gets installed on our roof top.

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Sun 13-Jun-10 22:23:09
Print Post

One small point, if you go for it and they still use the Ubiquiti Nanostation receiver, it's supplied with cable ties for a pole fixing but the UK supplier suggests fixing with hose clips instead.

I'm just therefore wondering if my problem is that with the gusty spring winds here it's moved slightly out of alignment with the transmitter accordingly. Still have my speed issue, but with the increased signal strength no outages at all for 10 days now.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Wed 16-Jun-10 22:01:47
Print Post

Well, it's over 2 weeks now since FibreWiFi launched its wireless service, and we have heard nothing from them. Is this just another flop like some of the other counsel sponsored WiMax trials in Essex in the past?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 16-Jun-10 22:49:30
Print Post

Probably.

And if you expect to get a link from 20 miles away then I fear your optimism matches your naivety in expecting to receive such a high speed service for so little, and then expecting it to be a financially robust solution. Perhaps understandable in the era of marketing where Broadband is a commodity that has no value attached to it. I may be proved wrong, but unlikely.

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:
Well, it's over 2 weeks now since FibreWiFi launched its wireless service, and we have heard nothing from them. Is this just another flop like some of the other counsel sponsored WiMax trials in Essex in the past?
Standard User kijoma
(member) Thu 17-Jun-10 08:32:15
Print Post

hi,

the usual checks show Fibrewifi was formed at the end of March this year via a "make me a company" agent , Buzcom doesn't seem to exist..

Time will tell if Mr Disley and Miss Turner produce results i suppose.

Lets hope for the sake of the reputation of the Wireless industry, which could do with less failed wannabe's, that they can deliver the claimed speed at the claimed price!

I know from years of experience that you can only meet those objectives if you don't expect a large wage as director, invest heavily (i.e. nearly everything out goes back in) and don't go employing a load of numpties laugh.

Oh and of course don't let potential customer demand bully you into deviating from your sustainable plan tongue

Give them time and see what unfolds...

Cheers

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Probably.

And if you expect to get a link from 20 miles away then I fear your optimism matches your naivety in expecting to receive such a high speed service for so little, and then expecting it to be a financially robust solution. Perhaps understandable in the era of marketing where Broadband is a commodity that has no value attached to it. I may be proved wrong, but unlikely.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
High Speed Wireless broadband ISP
The UK's top rated Wireless ISP 2005 - 2008 - ISP Review
Top 5 finalist in best UK wireless ISP - ISPA's 2008
Members of the Internet Service Providers association (www.ISPA.org.uk)
http://www.kijoma.net
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Thu 17-Jun-10 08:43:03
Print Post

A pity. I grant you are pushing it at 20miles, though see the PDF datasheet referred to on this page which indicates it can be done (normal range 10km, but up to 100 with external antenna so it's a more complicated install, and their stuff is ordered from the US though delivery in my case was within a week if in stock): http://ubnt.com/nanostation and download the NS5 datasheet. I've now got a continuous service with the increased signal strength and they have been going, formerly as W20, since 2004. It all I think depends on whether there are tall obstructions: e.g. buildings, woods, hills in direct line to the transmitter. (I also know they have at least one customer on their "old" service who got a signal over 15 miles from the transmitter with the same receiver as me (because the "line of sight" was OK) so it can be done. And that was not over the Dengie, which is largely flat isn't it? The newer Nanostation which they now use is more powerful, as well as I suspect the new transmitter which will serve you. (Is it the St. Lawrence water tower, which must be the highest thing for miles? As an afterthought before I'm corrected, as long as the decommissioned Bradwell nuclear power station isn't in the direct line of the signal, presumably!!)

They've now confirmed I've an old version Nanostation which is limited to max. 10Mbps aggregate (which is why I can't get the enhanced speeds, but which I don't need), but I have in the past achieved about 13Mbps aggregate at 6km from the transmitter (over 7 down/6 up) Remember like most WISP operators they only have 1 or 2 engineers and they will probably tackle easy jobs first so they can use their resources more effectively: I think if you want to pursue it you might have to make yourself a bit of a pest by regularly reminding them. There's no guarantee you'll be able to get the service, but if you do there is a very good prospect it will be stable and reliable.

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 17-Jun-10 12:12:23)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 17-Jun-10 12:22:07
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Well, I called them today, and they said that this service was launched at the beginning of June. They promised to call me back today, will see what happens next. We are definately in their coverage area according to their map.

Edited by JNeuhoff (Thu 17-Jun-10 12:23:29)

Standard User kijoma
(member) Thu 17-Jun-10 22:19:10
Print Post

Hi,

20 miles is no big problem if nothing is in the way, we have customers in excess of this distance using kit we fitted over 3 years ago (way before the Ubiquiti stuff came out)

these customers still get our headline speeds of 16 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up for the business services.

Stretching a nano M5 over 15 miles is a painful idea, if they are of course they are definitely not staying within the legal power limits of the band. that can be worked out easily with a path loss calculator , distance and power/aerial gain etc..

The older nanostation i think you refer to tops out at about 30 Mbps (tested here) , that's with an ideal signal. the limit is actually the CPU used in the device and 30 Mbps of course is only in "turbo" mode. in normal mode it would do ~24 Mbps tops.. so not much point for turbo apart from reduced on air time (which can be important).

the newer nano M product can push 85 Mbps one way or 150 Mbps aggregate in an ideal scenario.. again in a "turbo" mode..

the 16 dB gain antenna means the M5 isn't one for long distances and high speed combined!

Trees are an evil device , without care when surveying they can come back and bite hard in a year or two... fortunately in the 5 years+ we have been providing we have only had three cases of having to move a client aerial due to tree growth and there are a lot of trees! here..

What is interesting is that without external software the nano's do not comply with UK regs, we spent a lot of time writing code on our servers to emulate the functionality required by the licence... (automatic power control and proper DFS).

Cheers

In reply to a post by smurf46:
A pity. I grant you are pushing it at 20miles, though see the PDF datasheet referred to on this page which indicates it can be done (normal range 10km, but up to 100 with external antenna so it's a more complicated install, and their stuff is ordered from the US though delivery in my case was within a week if in stock): http://ubnt.com/nanostation and download the NS5 datasheet. I've now got a continuous service with the increased signal strength and they have been going, formerly as W20, since 2004. It all I think depends on whether there are tall obstructions: e.g. buildings, woods, hills in direct line to the transmitter. (I also know they have at least one customer on their "old" service who got a signal over 15 miles from the transmitter with the same receiver as me (because the "line of sight" was OK) so it can be done. And that was not over the Dengie, which is largely flat isn't it? The newer Nanostation which they now use is more powerful, as well as I suspect the new transmitter which will serve you. (Is it the St. Lawrence water tower, which must be the highest thing for miles? As an afterthought before I'm corrected, as long as the decommissioned Bradwell nuclear power station isn't in the direct line of the signal, presumably!!)

They've now confirmed I've an old version Nanostation which is limited to max. 10Mbps aggregate (which is why I can't get the enhanced speeds, but which I don't need), but I have in the past achieved about 13Mbps aggregate at 6km from the transmitter (over 7 down/6 up) Remember like most WISP operators they only have 1 or 2 engineers and they will probably tackle easy jobs first so they can use their resources more effectively: I think if you want to pursue it you might have to make yourself a bit of a pest by regularly reminding them. There's no guarantee you'll be able to get the service, but if you do there is a very good prospect it will be stable and reliable.

Bill Lewis - MD
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Thu 17-Jun-10 23:11:12
Print Post

Very helpful reply, thanks. A lot of it gels with what W20/Fibre Wi-Fi have told me, including the need to use their own customised software. They reckon the new NanoM is vastly superior to my older version (horizontal and vertical aerial and the MIMO technology?) but if I understand you correctly my installation is under-performing (depending on the transmitter) at less than 10km and with speeds which were around 7Mbps down/6 up, and have halved in the last couple of months - any ideas on what could have caused that sort of reduction in your experience? There are individual trees around, none of enough height within 0.5 mile, the transmitter is on the only tower block in the area, between me and it lies a river valley, a couple of housing estates on the valley sides, and I'm on a hill! . Nothing has changed in my internal set up (ethernet cable to PC). There's no dropouts, just the speed issue. They've enhanced the backhaul and increased the power at the transmitter.(There used to be a cap at 10 Mbps as it was an advertised 4Mbps SDSL service, but it's been removed).

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 17-Jun-10 23:13:33)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Mon 21-Jun-10 11:29:48
Print Post

Well, it seems you are the only customer of FibreWifi smile

I first got in touch with them about a month ago, and still haven't heard from them.

I have had similar experiences with other long distance wireless operators in the past, I don't think FibreWifi will last very long.

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Mon 21-Jun-10 13:15:54
Print Post

I think they've bitten off more than they can chew: think about it, offering 25Mbps (or even 50) SDSL over an entire rural district of 50,000+ souls (where 2 or less is probably the norm) - a recipe for anarchy. Even an established operator like Kjoma has complaints on here about unresponsiveness to potential customer enquiries, and they are a much bigger business. I also think the software may be having trouble coping (e.g. this morning I have good download but effectively no upload). There's a big jump from a few successful trial connections on the new service however well you might plan. (And this is an entirely diffferent scale from their existing and long standing service to the Rodings, so no I'm not their only customer but a very recent comer to the party!).

Their existing service to me has deteriorated significantly since the introduction of the new service: no two ways about it. I think the new service should be viewed as experimental and the launch was in a bit of a hurry (which is why I said make sure you have a back up) and IF all comes good I'd think it needs up to six months to settle down. (ADSL didn't happen overnight even with BT's resources). From bitter experience with new services you need to be very patient (and unfortunately I'm not) as I've seen the attempts to improve my service don't always work first or even second time around, so it does all depend whether you can afford the patience, and as a business I suspect may be not.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Mon 21-Jun-10 16:38:01
Print Post

They have now replied! A site survey will be done later this week,hope it will work out fine.

Standard User Essex
(newbie) Mon 28-Jun-10 10:39:34
Print Post

Very helpful reply, thanks. A lot of it gels with what W20/Fibre Wi-Fi have told me, including the need to use their own customised software. They reckon the new NanoM is vastly superior to my older version (horizontal and vertical aerial and the MIMO technology?) but if I understand you correctly my installation is under-performing (depending on the transmitter) at less than 10km and with speeds which were around 7Mbps down/6 up, and have halved in the last couple of months - any ideas on what could have caused that sort of reduction in your experience? There are individual trees around, none of enough height within 0.5 mile, the transmitter is on the only tower block in the area, between me and it lies a river valley, a couple of housing estates on the valley sides, and I'm on a hill! . Nothing has changed in my internal set up (ethernet cable to PC). There's no dropouts, just the speed issue. They've enhanced the backhaul and increased the power at the transmitter.(There used to be a cap at 10 Mbps as it was an advertised 4Mbps SDSL service, but it's been removed).

HI Just too add, I now have this product installed. After a 3 appointments changes ( I have also a 3mb adsl with Idnet. copper line of 5.5km).

I am in a Dengie village with Line of Sight to latchington Water Tower of 4.4km. I have had cause to doubt a few things, Especialy after having spoken to Gary Disley this morning along with having cause to email Jill Turner on previous occasions as well.

I have a split feed of 8.8 down and 12.3 mb up.

Alex the engineer / Installer. Stated that he would boost power to get better reception..

Spoke to Gary today, who states that my testing on various speed test websites including this one are useless in determinig the headline speed. Now I may be wrong but this smack a bit of ' double glazing' talk.

How can you advertise a speed related product, ie where does that seed coem from?

How can a customer check the actual speed of this product if the industry speed checks are in Gary's words 'worthless and not reliable'?

Is this product being overhyped. Remember Chelsmford County Council, Maldon Distict Council and http://www.johnwhittingdale.org.uk/ are all party to this. Have they been shall we say 'oversold' on this so that funding could be found for the new company Fibrewife / Buzzcom.?

I am i believe, far short of the advertised 50mb split, with http://www.speedtest.net/result/861816128.png. But according to Gary this figure is false! not accurate I agree no speedtest are. But they are very good indicators.

Advertised products http://www.fibrewifi.com/pricing

Can the more in tune wirless experts such as Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - please advise on how we are to 'check' what is being sold to us.

Now i am not being dumb I know what I know. But I would like an experts opinion on how the 'consumer' can check and verify that a product is doing, or is at least, within the parameters as stated. Not all consumers will know or even bother to come to a site like this for information.

As long as their new installed sytem is 'working' they may not have cause to check that the product they bought have is actually what is being advertised.?

Considering that I am only 4.4km with L.O.S to the antenna. With new Ubiquiti NSM5 EU that had a test date 17/12/09

After all there are legal issues here. And I at the moment am not content with what I am being told by Gary Disley.

All comments very appreciated on a much needed faster internet connection for the Dengie Hundred of Essex.

For information as well, this product is getting a lot of new customers. Alex did not not finish installing until 9pm on Friday.

Edited by Essex (Mon 28-Jun-10 10:46:44)

Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Mon 28-Jun-10 14:23:31
Print Post

[re: Essex] [link to this post]

As you can see from my previous posts I've had a bit of a runaround on speeds too, but admittedly on their "old" service. My experience is that this site's tester on Fixed Wi-Fi pretty well corresponds with the speed measured by an actual file download from an uncongested server to my PC. Initially my speeds increased over the first month to six weeks by about 50%; and although I stand to be corrected my belief is that WiFi like ADSL can't guarantee everyone will get the maximum speed, what it does take out of the equation is the exchange problems, line joints and wiring defects that affect ADSL, and the usual range of weather (apart from some deterioration in torrential rain) doesn't seem to affect it. I also believe there can be software issues that can affect the receiver, and for that reason it's best not to loose the power supply to the receiver if possible; though I suspect the new Nano is better in that respect. My case with wildly fluctuating speeds isn't normal, and fingers crossed will now settle down.
Standard User Essex
(newbie) Mon 28-Jun-10 20:22:14
Print Post

As you can see from my previous posts I've had a bit of a runaround on speeds too, but admittedly on their "old" service. My experience is that this site's tester on Fixed Wi-Fi pretty well corresponds with the speed measured by an actual file download from an uncongested server to my PC. Initially my speeds increased over the first month to six weeks by about 50%; and although I stand to be corrected my belief is that WiFi like ADSL can't guarantee everyone will get the maximum speed, what it does take out of the equation is the exchange problems, line joints and wiring defects that affect ADSL, and the usual range of weather (apart from some deterioration in torrential rain) doesn't seem to affect it. I also believe there can be software issues that can affect the receiver, and for that reason it's best not to loose the power supply to the receiver if possible; though I suspect the new Nano is better in that respect. My case with wildly fluctuating speeds isn't normal, and fingers crossed will now settle down.

An update to my previous. I have again spoken to Mr Disley today. More adjustments have been made to optmise my end with the receiver / trasnmitter / base station. My speeds are now http://www.speedtest.net/result/862341360.png - http://speed.io/backend/result/33078021?pID=project1 Which is a vast improvement against the original installation.

Having now had further conversations as well email correspondence I feel a lot more confident with this product and along with some suggestions that I have forwarded. I believe the system will improve greatly.

I will keep the forum updated. With the hope that it will be all positives for the future of a desperatly needed fast internet WiFi product in the Dengie and surrounding areas. Coupled to the Easynet Fibre network into Chelmsford.

I am currently using a Buffalo AirStation Afinity router to expand my network enviroment. Will look around the market to see if there is anything superior. But at the moment it is all working very well indeed.

Well done http://www.fibrewifi.com/ keep up the good work.
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Mon 28-Jun-10 22:39:16
Print Post

Curious: Did you or any other already existing or new customer of FibreWifi experience a considerable slowdown of connection speeds this afternoon or evening (Monday 28 June) because of the football cup or some tennis matches? Or did the FibreWifi service manage to cope successfully with the additional bandwidth demand?

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Mon 12-Jul-10 23:33:26
Print Post

Some findings from a new install

This morning there was a news item on BBC Essex about a new long-distance wireless broadband service being launched in Essex, starting with Chelmsford, with symmetric speeds of 25mbps or 50mbps.

The company Buzcom is a london based outfit - I've seen the name before. I'm sure google is helpfull but I'm not looking now.

I have 1 customer on the network and am waiting for some real feedback once they have been using it for a few weeks.

Some things we did find out thought;

They use Easynet for therebackhaul to the internet

The 'survey' they did for my customer was a mess - they used a survey tool for a motorola point to point microwave link and not the actual hardware they are using on the live network.

They came to install and didn't bring a long enough pole to mount the CPE unit and had to go away and come back another day once they had the correct one.

They got the thing installed then found out the path they had 'surveyed' was blocked by another house and had to re align the link to another site (without a further survey)

You get an external IP at the CPE but there are lots of bridged connections within the network.

Ping times look ok at the moment, BBC is only 7 *shown* hops to the BBC most via easynet

Throughput looks ok at the moment but we have no way of finding out how many people are on the system.

The internet connection was reported to max out at about 10mbit both ways - but they have done at least 1 upgrade since that test and I'm waiting for more results.

They had an entire weekend of down time - we have no idea why at the moment.

There coverage projection maps are just that - projections as far as we can tell.

They provide support for the radio link, but we are not sure about the rest.

There radius is not working correctley at the moment, there are no usage figures logged or viewable by the end user.

No obvious lightning protection was installed at the CP End

We have not had any 'bad weather' tests yet - due to the err lack of bad weather!

They apear to also be offrering a normal WiFi network with AP's at local places - we have no details of that part of the network as yet.

We don't know how many sites they have, or if there sites are sectored or not.

We don't know what resilliance there is within the network yet.

It's been hard to get any details out of them - the website is shocking.

We have found no SLA's or anything involving a path that becomes later blocked by something (A building or something)

Also beware planning restrictions and things in the link path of which both may stop you getting this installed.

A friend of mine runs a local IT firm out Essex way he was looking at them as something he can offer his customers but at the moment is not impressed with the little info he's been able to get, or the install of my user out there.

We await more details. It's a nice idea and could work very well, but given the start I won't be putting anyone else on there for a while.

This thread is a bit long and I've not managed to read through it all - sorry. If this post attracts enough attention I may ask a mod to move it, or split it off somewhere to make it a bit easier for everyone.

Edited by IamQ (Mon 12-Jul-10 23:44:40)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 22-Jul-10 12:09:15
Print Post

Re: Some findings from a new install

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

Surely, if this network is being supplied with public money in association with Essex County Council then much of the above stats should be provided through the council to the public domain shouldn't it? Would be interesting to know if there was a tender process for this public money. Would imagine any such tender would specify what should be being supplied and how the success of this "pilot scheme" is being recorded.
Standard User smurf46
(newbie) Fri 23-Jul-10 08:31:53
Print Post

Just thought I'd post an update in view of the negativity I think is developing on this thread. My problem proved to be a faulty old-style Nano (not the one they're now using) which has now been replaced. At 5 miles from the transmitter across North Chelmsford, speeds are 12 Mbps+ both ways, pings around 10, packet delay less than 120 at max; the killer for me is that that this compares to max 3.5Mbps download, (pings up to 200 and packet delays that start at 400ms) on ADSL which will never improve due to the number of constantly increasing number of repair joints on the local loop. Things are exactly as promised: the new Nano gives speeds twice as fast at the old version. Over the six months I've had their services there was no deterioriation in the bad weather of Jan-March, and downtime (apart from faults with my equipment) seems always to be overnight usually about half an hour once a week and within the hours of 3am - 8am, worst ever was 4 hours between those hours on a couple of occaisons. Sure there's no lighning protection - but there isn't on my TV aerial either, nor is it something I think BT provide to overhead lines!

I'm not sure the website or amount of information is any worse than every other wireless provider (including others in receipt of public funds) though the inquisitive can use an FOI on the records of a public authority! And no-one holds a gun to your head to move from a BT supplied landline as they will after all always give you the best service they're prepared to!

Edited by smurf46 (Fri 23-Jul-10 08:37:17)

Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Fri 23-Jul-10 10:57:00
Print Post

Thanks for the update.

Hope to have it available in my area soon. Certainly beats BT because symmetric broadband is far more useful than asymmetric DSL. Will go for FibreWiFi's 50mbps package.

Standard User dengieuser
(newbie) Wed 28-Jul-10 10:54:28
Print Post

fibrewifi service was installed yesterday, I was previously in a dial up only area, so made a huge difference, connection speed I recorded yesterday is 12mb up 12mb down. The download is as fast as the fibreoptic line at my previous address; the 12mb upload is massive, virgin media offered 10mb down 500k upload in comparison. The monthly download limit is 40gb, which is probably more than enough more most, but I will avoid large amounts of hd video to be safe.

In terms of range, I'm around 8miles from the tower at latchingdon.I have been told that a direct line of sight has a positive effect on the signal.

With regard to bandwidth I clocked 15mb download today, Fibrewifi's website says that if bandwidth usage is low then additional bandwidth is directed to the remaining users, which suggests that bandwidth is not an issue on the network. Apparently more towers we be up and running in the near future.

Getting a bit more technical I also tested ping speeds and lost packets ect. on speedtest.net The latency of the line is very low as advertised ~19ms ping (A decent broadband connection should give lower than 100ms) The line should be really good for VOIP or VPN. Lost packets are a real problem @ 86%, which seems ridiculously high (should be close to 0% really), strangely this doesn't seem to noticeably impact the quality of the service, I'm not sure if this is a router or ISP problem. This result makes me question how meaningful the test is more than anything else.

Someone mentioned the possibility of lightning strike in a previous post, I wouldn't expect this to be too much of a problem since the receptor does not need to be at the top of the house, in most areas there will be something else that will get hit first such as power transformers, aerials/trees etc.
Standard User dengieuser
(newbie) Wed 28-Jul-10 11:21:23
Print Post

[re: dengieuser] [link to this post]

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/894635601.png[/IMG]
Standard User smurf46
(learned) Wed 28-Jul-10 23:15:49
Print Post

[re: dengieuser] [link to this post]

Yes I've noticed a packet loss issue: pingtest.net showed zero loss, but I've used Jack Dinns monitoring tool (which gets a mention elsewhere on this site) to sample my connection 3 hourly which shows a consistent 56% loss from bbc.co.uk or google (and I believe their preferred monitoring tool also hints at this). It doesn't seem to noticeably affect anything including video though. The measured download speeds tend to shoot up overnight, and can vary by 2-3Mbps during the day (though I suspect that might be congestion from the TB test file download servers?). Jitter is normally 1-2 with very occaisonal spikes, the pings at 1-3 are I think measuring the backhaul rather than the local connection. It seems to me that torrential rain can halve speeds or cause signal loss which recovers as soon as it eases, though mere heavy rain or anything less, wind, snow or fog has no effect in my experience.

Edited by smurf46 (Wed 28-Jul-10 23:43:08)

Standard User smurf46
(learned) Thu 05-Aug-10 16:57:13
Print Post

Good luck: it seems generally for me the upload speed maxes at 50% of the download speed so I believe you'd be better with the Nano dish which has, I gather, a higher electrical power (22W/16W) so gives a stronger upload signal.
Standard User kijoma
(member) Fri 06-Aug-10 11:27:55
Print Post

Good luck: it seems generally for me the upload speed maxes at 50% of the download speed so I believe you'd be better with the Nano dish which has, I gather, a higher electrical power (22W/16W) so gives a stronger upload signal.

Hi,

The legal power limit for Band C in the UK is 4 Watts EIRP, the nano dish has a lower power maximum output power than the nano M5 but does have a higher gain. The power would need to be backed off even then to conform to the +36dBm EiRP (4 watt) limit.

Basically subtract the gain of the antenna from 36 and that's the power level the radio needs to be set at.

The base station isn't allowed any more power either. This is what makes the technical challenges of the WiSP industry so much more "interesting" smile

The funny thing is, if you are a radio amateur with no technical expertise at all then you can legally transmit far higher powers on that band.. funny old world blush

I suspect your speed differences are more to do with how speed test sites deal with upload measurements as they often assume the upload is quite slow (as it is with most wireline technologies).

Bill Lewis - MD
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Aug-10 11:40:09
Print Post

if you are a radio amateur with no technical expertise

aren't they licensed after passing an exam or something ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User kijoma
(member) Fri 06-Aug-10 18:11:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

hi,

i took that exam back in the early 80's (I was 15 and didn't do any course before taking it), its a multiple choice one and they only need very basic electrical knowledge and have 4 answers to choose from.

i suspect it isn't any harder now and i doubt it covers what hazards you could encounter with 400 Watts input on 5.8 GHz (stick it into a sky size dish and experience an EIRP of ~100kW !)

In reply to a post by yarwell:
if you are a radio amateur with no technical expertise

aren't they licensed after passing an exam or something ?

Bill Lewis - MD
Standard User stewyl
(newbie) Mon 09-Aug-10 10:59:48
Print Post

It will be intresting to see what happens when they have > 100 people connected to the access point.....

And they already have packet loss across the network.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Dec-10 08:28:30
Print Post

[re: stewyl] [link to this post]

I have been trying to get FIBREWIFI for my business but to no avail, they are not available in the Coggeshall area as of yet. I then looked at County Broadband http://www.countybroadband.co.uk/
Anyone here has any experience with them? Their tariff seem a bit expensive for business use.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Dec-10 09:18:32
Print Post

no experience with them, but that doesnt seem expensive at all for business use, cheap if anything!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Dec-10 09:51:10
Print Post

Really, what package are you looking at? The cheapest they have for business is 4down / 2up for £49.00. I really want to get away from BT but at the moment I am getting 4.5down / 0.40up for £26.99, £49.00 is a big jump.

Saying that, I would love the benefit of 2m up, no more hanging of large emails.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Sep-11 10:03:48
Print Post

This is a very useful thread, both for and against. Thanks.
Can anyone add any experience of other radio broadband operators in the area e.g. County Broadband? Do they have similar problems?
W. Sunnucks
Standard User smurf46
(member) Sun 11-Sep-11 20:20:31
Print Post

Just a quick update on Fibre WiFi. Since my old model receiver was replaced in summer 2010, things have improved. There hasn't been any outages for months, and downloads have been consistent around 10 Mbps as I'm on their older Chelmsford network not the newer Maldon and Uttlesford ones and uploads of about half that. Pings usually below 20 and packet loss about 4%. All in all I think it's been good value and reliable if you're stuck on a poor ADSL line. The choice between operators is I think who can give you the better line of sight. Service hasn't been affected by weather over the last 15 months, and no noticeable problems from contention at usual busy times.

No-one was ever convinced by what I said, but by what they understood.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 18-Oct-11 11:50:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
This is a very useful thread, both for and against. Thanks.
Can anyone add any experience of other radio broadband operators in the area e.g. County Broadband? Do they have similar problems?
W. Sunnucks

There is a company called Skyline Networks that covers much of the South East but they are more tailored to the SME market. SLA is very impressive as is their client list but way too expensive for a small business or residential.
Standard User foresight1
(newbie) Tue 15-Nov-11 18:52:49
Print Post

Hi All

Very useful thread, thanks to all.
Would anyone be on this thread who's using WB at present in the Bradwell, St Lawerence, Stone area who could advise on the transfer quality, lost packets are more of a concern than outright speed
Thanks in advance
Standard User nigelo
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 13:51:30
Print Post

[re: foresight1] [link to this post]

Just to add some balance on this thread, I've been with FibreWiFi for over a year and just renewed my annual contract. I have clear LOS to the water tower at Latchingdon (actually Cold Norton) at apprx 3km.

Performance varies depending on time of day but usually 10/12 mb download and 6/10 mb upload using speedtest.net. Carrying out simple tracert tests at times of low speed suggests the issue to be within easynet backbone and not the wifi connection. Packet loss is usually zero and actaul download / upload is ultra reliable.

Just for the record, I am not connected to FibreWiFi or even the industry in any way, just VERY satisfied with the standard service.

hope this helps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Feb-12 14:52:40
Print Post

[re: nigelo] [link to this post]

I now have Fibe wifi fitted and very pleased. In Bradwell but going across river to Tiptree water tower.
Drop outs been zero so far and packet loss seems to be zero.
The high up load speed, tend to get 10/10 most of the time makes voip very clear to the recieving party
Not sure how well encrypted the data is over the wifi, does any one care to enlighten me ?
Standard User Essex
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 16:14:47
Print Post

Well this is now the second year. I have had numerous problems. When it was link to / Norton tower it is was fine. To improve the signal although I had Line of Sight. I had a ' Dish' and not the normal radio installed later. perfect. Then at some point they decided to do another upgrade flash to the rom. This was corrupted and I lost my service for over 3 weeks. Eventually after a second install the dish was taken away and finally replaced with a radio. This was linked to a new local repeater in the village. Started out ok. approx 9-mbs down 5-6 up. after a couple of months all sort of things things started happening. The last time Mr Disley blamed Google DNS servers.!!

Gary Disley ( Director was repeatedly contacted over the poor service. At one stage i was told to 'go away and return the kit.' He no longer could be bothered to resolve the problem. A friend of mine who also had similer problems was told the same. He is another village and has line of sight to a different Tower.

I have kept a complete excel chart from speednet.net since inception It is clear as my line of sight that i am getting an appalling service. It can work, but Mr Disley just cannot be bothered to make it work if a problem occurs.

As this organization is run with BDUK, Uttlesford Council funding. Hence the Super FstWith approval of Chelmsford County Council, Local Maldon Council and prominent named MP John Whittingdale and MEP Vicky Ford.

Maybe it is time an investigation is required into the business practices of Mr Disley and his company. As a well known Member of Parliament and MEP have put their.names. to this service. Or lack of might be better.

I have tried very hard to get Mr Disley to rectify a wrong. I have even paid for further engineers to come, Offered to pay for better more update Radio from Unbiquiti

Today i have just done a speedtest from thinkbroadband.

This is the result
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Mr Disley does not agree he says it is all ok from his end ???

This product can work, when setup and serviced correctly it works great and I was very pleased.
But the backups for faults is appalling.

Should I ever get my service working like it it did initially I will happily report back.

During the meantime I advise you to really tread carefully with Mr G Disley and ask a lot of questions. Especially about those backup and service.
Standard User anglianbroadband
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 10:40:34
Print Post

To be fair what Buzcom offer is amazing for the price. A £30/month 2meg service is more achievable but is only attractive in not-spot areas. Airzone, Stour Valley Wireless and Anglian Rural Broadband offer these in Essex as an alternative to Buzcom.

Connecting you to 2meg or more in rural Essex
Standard User arthurmeg
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 11:31:27
Print Post

[re: anglianbroadband] [link to this post]

Contacted fibrewifi & Stour Valley Wireless about providing a connection to Wakes Colne, they didn't reply so does anyone know if these companies are still in business? Alternatively does anyone know of other alternatives as the BT connection is rubbish in Wakes Colne.

PS County Broadband have been approached by the local parish council but nothing is happening.
Standard User steveali
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-17 16:25:33
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User steveali
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-17 16:40:26
Print Post

[re: stewyl] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User JHo1
(member) Wed 18-Jan-17 16:49:27
Print Post

[re: steveali] [link to this post]

Is today Vampire Thread Day? Another one rises from the grave.

John
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jan-17 16:53:58
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

I will happily apologise if I am wrong but I have already raised that I think this is spam posting - I would be shocked if the poster is not someway involved with Essex WiFi (or APC Solutions UK Ltd who are the actual registered company). Necro of a very old thread and making 3 posts all of which have URL links to the website (and one of which suggests they already have the WiFi because of how good it is but then another which asks if they are any good). All looks very spammy to me.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jan-17 17:07:52
Print Post

Deleted as too spammy

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jan-17 17:08:50
Print Post

A genuine user finding a 7 year old past is a surprise, but when someone throws the same link three times onto the bbs in quick succession spam warnings sound

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wirefree
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-17 14:25:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi All

I found this thread on a google search while checking the effectiveness of our current rankings.

I am happy to confirm Essex WiFi is part of APC Solutions UK Ltd and we are genuine! Indeed we have been trading since 1996. Essex WiFi was established as an alternative wireless broadband provider in Essex for homes and businesses in addition to all the other work we do nationwide as APC.

No plugs on this post, just establishing the facts. I have no idea what has been posted as its deleted but happy to confirm its nothing to do with us.

Thanks

Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 28-Feb-17 12:10:05
Print Post

[re: wirefree] [link to this post]

There was no doubt that the wireless service was genuine, reason post was deleted was

a) Three links of the same in a short period of time
b) No actual involvement in posting debates
c) Resurrecting an old post (a 7 year old one at that) is the pattern followed by spammers

Happy if an ISP wants to confirm their IP blocks to see if it was a customer, and also if they have ever employed SEO consultant have they confirmed that they do not enter into this sorts of promotionally activity. The later is mentioned as we see lots of marketing for precisely this

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to