User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maxhector
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 14:11:36
Print Post

List of Wireless Providers?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

AM moving shortly to a new property that's out in the sticks a little and the current owners have wireless home broadband due to the distance to the exchange etc.

I'm trying to find a list of wireless providers for the area (the list on here in FAQ says there is only one for Kent and that link doesn't work anyway!). Could anyone assist? I also need to know of any specific questions that I may need to ask?

Postcode for the new place is CT3 1EG.

Many thanks in advance! Cheers,

Gareth
Standard User johnclay
(learned) Tue 04-Jan-11 14:26:56
Print Post

Re: List of Wireless Providers?

[re: maxhector] [link to this post]

hi try this link http://www.vfast.co.uk/ a quick check if you use the residential tab there speed check page is there I did a quick check and it sems it is available at that post code you gave hope this helps you
Standard User maxhector
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 14:39:15
Print Post

[re: johnclay] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Yup, have been to the V-Fast site, was hoping to find other providers to ensure I get a) the best deal and b) the best service. Can't beat competition - if there is any! Cheers.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jan-11 15:13:00
Print Post

To be honest, you are VERY unlikely to get more than one wireless broadband provider in any particular geographic area. The sums simply do not add up for more than one to be viable.

When we first started 7-8 years ago one of the villages we decided to provide service to thought that such competition was a great idea. The result was that there ended up three providers in the same (small) area! As a direct consequence of this, all three of us basically washed our hands over pushing up take up in the area and more or less simply took what customers happened to come our way.

By the time the other two providers had died away, the exchange had been adsl enabled and thus we had all of the adsl-based isps to compete with. Again, there seemed very little point in putting our efforts into that area compared to other (larger) areas we also covered.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury Broadband; Highnam Broadand; Newent Broadband; Painswick Broadband
=======================
Symmetric Pro

Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User maxhector
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 15:53:00
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Thanks Peter.

Whilst I understand your point, it doesn't sound great for the consumer! So I'll be looking at £75 a quarter just for my broadband, when I know there is another provider out there offering a similar service for £42 or £54 a quarter but who doesn't cover my area.

It seemed a bit of a task to even find the wireless providers (all google searches annoyingly just came up with [censored] dongles!)

I'm sure it can probably be a lot higher in other areas too and that if I want to be connected, will just have to stump it up. All the same, I still need to make sure that I'm signing up to the right and best thing available.

Cheers, Gareth
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 04-Jan-11 16:32:24
Print Post

Hi Max,

VFast are the main operators in that area, my cousin lives very close to where your address is and is also on the service. I'm also on the upgraded service in Thanet seeing speeds up to 40mbps down.

To be honest, £25 a month for the service you get will be far better than any current BT /ADSL offering, if Vfast can install the new equipment for you you should see at least 20mb down and 10mb+ up with unlimited usage. I personally think the value for money is great!

Who is the other provider by the way?

James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User maxhector
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 16:41:51
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi James,

There is already a receiver on site which will be staying I believe, so that's one cost not to worry about. That's certainly quick, right now we're on around 4-5mb down and maybe 1mb up using just under 10GB a month I'd estimate. This for £15 a month with BT (who I do hate with a passion of course!). The £25 a month with VFast is for the 10mb down and 2mb up or £37 a month for 10mb both ways.

The other provider, Kijoma I think is where I referenced the other prices.

Cheers,

Gareth
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 04-Jan-11 20:29:38
Print Post

[re: johnclay] [link to this post]

My wife used to live in shotfield close, broadband there runs at about 256k from any provider apart from vfast.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jan-11 12:23:46
Print Post

The only possible competition might come form three (3G mobile broadband). Although in that post code signal will be week and service could be intermittent and slow.

Vfast is a far better bet, the network is already superior to what 3G is capable of and with Vfast's next-gen network you'll be able to get even faster connection speeds than most in towns.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
  Print Thread

Jump to