User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheTanner
(newbie) Thu 17-Mar-11 14:34:56
Print Post

vFast install in Chartham, Kent

[link to this post]

Just had vFast installed into my house in Chartham, Kent.

Previously I was using Zen and able to get ~3Mbit/s on a good day, whereas at initial install with vFast I was able to hit the following:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1202719740.png

About 3ms of the latency is due to my HomePlug networking, so it's really quite an impressive figure.

Since then it's peaked at the full 24Mbit/s downstream, and around the 10Mbit/s mark upstream. It's staggering.

The install engineer was great, really helpful and did a very neat job - much better than the Sky engineers who 'bodged' my dish install.

Would certainly be interested if faster services are trialled - I do a lot of remote working, and having some proper upstream has made a real difference.

Thanks guys!

--
TheTanner
Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 17-Mar-11 23:26:33
Print Post

Re: vFast install in Chartham, Kent

[re: TheTanner] [link to this post]

Is this the Vmax service for £37 as you're getting 24mb down and 10mb up?

When they installed mine in Thanet I was getting this for a period of time while they were trialling the new equipment:

http://speedtest.net/result/1039530000.png

Unfortunately, as I'm only on the Vhome package I now get a lowly 15mb down / 2mb up... Can't say I'm disapointed though, but I may consider a faster service later.

I notice Kingshill get 34mb/2mb on the VHome package (http://www.vfast.co.uk/kingshill/) so a bit disapointed to see that I'm paying the same amount for a slower service. Hopefully this will be adjusted for all users on the Airmax kit in the near future (I'm guessing Kingshill have more funding and more bandwidth available at the moment).

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User cervaro
(newbie) Thu 05-May-11 13:06:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheTanner:
Just had vFast installed into my house in Chartham, Kent.

Previously I was using Zen and able to get ~3Mbit/s on a good day, whereas at initial install with vFast I was able to hit the following:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1202719740.png

About 3ms of the latency is due to my HomePlug networking, so it's really quite an impressive figure.

Since then it's peaked at the full 24Mbit/s downstream, and around the 10Mbit/s mark upstream. It's staggering.

The install engineer was great, really helpful and did a very neat job - much better than the Sky engineers who 'bodged' my dish install.

Would certainly be interested if faster services are trialled - I do a lot of remote working, and having some proper upstream has made a real difference.

Thanks guys!

--
TheTanner

In Chartham myself, and looking at a better alternative to Sky Broadband, which slows down to a near crawl in the evening!

Looked at the Vfast service before at a previous address with similar problems, and really interested in hearing how the service has been working for yourself. Any chance you could provide me with some real life experience in terms of average speeds, support quality, etc. Did you use an existing router or pay for one provided by Vfast? If the latter, would you recommnd getting it from them, or buying an alternative?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheTanner
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 09:23:31
Print Post

[re: cervaro] [link to this post]

Apologies for the long delay in response.

The service has been excellent, with consistent high speeds and fairly low-latency. I've noticed the latency does seem a little higher than my old Zen DSL in some online games, but this may be a limitation of serializing a high number of small packets onto the radio network.

I use my own router - a Cisco Linksys WRT610n, which seems to cope fine. I can't really comment on what their routers are like.
Standard User irtuk
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:17:14
Print Post

Hey,

We also live in Chartham on the estate and I am getting poor service from by BT broadband package.

Thinking about Vfast and I am curious about your experiences with it, how good is it when it's raining / snowing / windy etc? Does the weather affect it at all ?

Cheers.

-Ed.
Standard User slimj
(member) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:34:58
Print Post

[re: irtuk] [link to this post]

I've never had any issues with weather affecting the service, it's been snowing, wet and windy, rubbish winter weather and the connection has stayed consistent.

Providing you have good line of sight to a transmitter you will be fine. smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User discomad
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 16:26:51
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi All,
very interested in your thoughts on VFAST as an ISP, we live in Crundale, not far from Chartham and we have a KCC grant towards infrastructure in areas with little or no rural Broadband. Wireless could well end up being one of the potential bidders and we have had mixed feed back about the service delivered so far so would appreciate any feedback that you have had as users of Vfast products anb any pitfalls you have seen so far would be extremely useful to us.

Many thanks
Mark
Standard User slimj
(member) Sun 25-Sep-11 00:30:45
Print Post

[re: discomad] [link to this post]

Hey,

Here are my thoughts.

As an ISP, VFast are fantastic, I've been with F2S for ADSL before and they were ok but when I had problems with my connection they were pretty unwilling to help. VFast however are quick to reply to tickets and will do their best to get you the best possible connection. Everytime I've contacted support, Jonathan has always been swift to reply.

The only pitfull I can see is that you need a good line of sight to a transmitter, and with wireless that's not always possible. With the KCC grant, as far as I can tell with the documents that were issued before VFast gained the funding to cover the parish of Manston (Thanet), was that they are supposed to provide all properties with reliable and fast broadband, and I think this is probably impossible to achieve without adding multiple repeaters.

In all honesty, if there was an option of getting a fibre feed into the villages where you're based I would consider this the best option, all properties would be able to access the service without needing a clear line of sight to a transmitter. It would probably be more reliable too.

I've been with VFast since the beginning and I can't really fault the service, I do have a problem with latency at the moment but I've been informed that this should be resolved in the coming weeks as more capacty is added to the Thanet network. Download speeds are good though, no problems downloading at 15mbit/s smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Sep-11 12:25:49
Print Post

Due to the problems with BT Broadband in Chartham Hatch - have you found vfast reliable and easy to use since having it intsalled?
Standard User TheTanner
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 18:16:05
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The vFast service has been excellent - I'm consistently able to sustain full downstream and upstream speeds (25Mbit/s & 10Mbit/s respectively). Latency's been very low (though can be occasionally slightly high in some online games, but nothing that causes a problem). Service from vFast has been very consistent. It's not been affected by the weather, though I've not tried it in the snow yet - knowing what the winter is like here in chartham that could be interesting wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to