User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 05-Jun-11 12:18:17
Print Post

VFast viable for gaming and remote working?

[link to this post]

Hey guys!

I am moving to thanet this August to get away from the rat race and when I was researching isps, it turns out that the houses i'm looking at aren't capable of receiving a service from BT or Virgin...

That leaves VFast, both my son and I are very avid computer gamers and currently we enjoy really good pings and speeds for the gaming in London, I am not an expert on internet so I dont know if wireless is good for gaming.

I have been told too that it is very bad for remote desktop working. I work for a Norwegian company and most of us work from home, which is fine with our virgin but some of my work mates said that wireless isnt good for this either. As I said I dont know much about itnernet but im not too keen to get a service what isnt good for what i need it for.

I am looking at houses in the Manston/Fleet/Lydden/Minster sort of area, do any of you guys live near there and have any feedback?

Thanks for reading,

Espen Olsen
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:53:03
Print Post

Re: VFast viable for gaming and remote working?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi Espen,

I would say that the advice you have been given is out of date.

I've been with vFast for a couple of years (served from a mast in Dunkirk) and my pings are around 10ms to sites like the BBC etc and also for gaming.

I'm currently on the 15mb down / 2mb up package which works perfectly for home working (tried and tested). If you need the increased upload (and lower contention) there is a 25mb down / 10mb up package.

SlimJ is in Thanet on vFast and will be able to give you a better report on the local service.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~10 mbps (megabits per second) - ~1250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Upstream ~2 mbps (megabits per second) - ~250 KBps (kilobytes per second)
Sky MID
Downstream Att. ~62db - SNR ~5.5db - Sync - ~2784 Kbps
Upstream Att. ~31db - SNR ~16db - Sync - ~832 Kbps
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Sun 05-Jun-11 21:17:20
Print Post

Hi

Ping times are comparable to ADSL, in some places better than ADSL and should average between 10-20ms.

Manston parish is a KCC funded area therefore please see vfast.co.uk/manston for further details.

Regards,
Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Jun-11 08:50:58
Print Post

I suspect your workmates are confusing wireless with satellite which would give issues both with gaming and remote access/vpn due to the very high pings associated with satellite broadband.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 06-Jun-11 22:36:36
Print Post

Hi,

I don't really have much more to add than what has been said.

Service has been great, I'm on the 15mb/2mb service but could upgrade to a faster package if required - there is also the talk of even faster speeds in the future as and when required. Not had any problems with gaming online through Xbox Live, been very stable with no lag at all, same on the PS3 network (when it's working that is.... lol!).

If you do indeed move to Minster, the telephone exhange is there near the railway station so you should get ok ADSL speeds of up to (a boring) 6-7mb, but there is every chance you could still connect to the Vfast service.

James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Jun-11 22:20:05
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hey Espen.

I live in the area you are looking to move to (in Lydden, just across the road from the caravan park you'll have seen if you viewed any houses).

I've been with VFast now for about 4 or 5 years and on the whole I can say they are a good ISP, the support staff are helpful most of the time and when the service works it's extremely good. However over the last two and a half months i've been having really poor download speeds and really high latency in the evening - we have a couple of avid gamers in the family and they are constantly complaining about it.

The support people have been as helpful as they can possibly be in trying to get the issue sorted but ultimately the issue seems really hard to trace. If you move to Lydden and like gaming it could be a while before it's fixed.

Before I started getting this problem though, latencies were fantastic and speeds were really stable. Probably the best service you'd find, even if you can get cable / adsl (which you can't, but if you could you'd never get a quality of service that is anywhere near as good as vfast was before this issue occured).

Overall, yeah gaming works, remote desktop stuff works, just often in the evening you'll have big problems with it until they manage to find the cause.

Out of interest, what sort of games were you looking to play? Some games are pretty uneffected by connection quality - poker games and turn based games would run pretty well even on dialup, it's only really things like first person shooters, real time strategy games and mmorpgs that end up having issues.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Jun-11 13:47:13
Print Post

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

Espen here again!

Thank for the many replies it has been very helpful.

I play a lot of varied games, mostly first person shooters and things like Starcraft 2. My son he plays call of duty on xbox, lots of playstation (when it works!) and we both together play World of Warcraft and Aion.

It is very different here compared to Norway, back home pretty much everyone I knew had access to 100/100 fibre so comparitively it is very hard to find that level of quality but I dont expect it to be that good obviously, especially when the wife wants to go and live in the country.

Tim, I cant get on vfast.co.uk/manston in fact it doesnt seem to want to load any vfast web pages.

To the man who said he has problems, what sort of time do you get problems? I spent about 2 hour of my time in the morning at home teleworking and a lot of that 2 hour time is spent testing things which need me to have pretty good latency during the day (I work for a company that designs online multiplayer games (Funcom)). Rest of the day is just my son at home "studying" by which I mean he plays games all day and does nothing useful! In the evening that is when we mostly are together playing the games i mentioned before... So kind of would be nice if it is reliable all the time.

We were particularly interested in one of the houses near that caravan park because it gave quick access to the shopping centre which the wife was really keen on, but if it means that my son and i cant relax in the evenings doing what we enjoy i might get dragged out doing boring husband stuff!

Thanks for the replies,

Espen
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:04:25
Print Post

Hi Espen

That's odd that the Manston page isn't loading, works fine for me. Try with the www. as well http://www.vfast.co.uk/manston/

That reminds me I still need to get the speeds updated on the Manston page! Should read:-

VLite - 256kbps Up and 2Mbps Down, £FREE installation, £17.99 per month
VHome - 2Mbps Up and Up to 15Mbps Down, £FREE installation + Free Wireless Router, £24.99 per month
VMax - Up to 10Mbps Up and 24Mbps Down, £FREE installation + Free Wireless Router, £36.99 per month

Yes in Thanet there have been some latency spikes in the evenings, however we have already made some improvement and will be installing a new router soon to balance the load.

Regards,
Tim
  Print Thread

Jump to