User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheeseontoast
(newbie) Thu 16-Jun-11 14:14:23
Print Post

Does anyone use Village Networks?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I'm connected to a Rural Market 1 exchange with the Sky Connect Package. My line comes into the house on a telelgraph pole - if that's relevant.

Up time was around 11 hours when I took the following stats last night.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1888 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 56.0 db 26.5 db
Noise Margin 9.6 db 19.0 db

I have experienced slow downs and disconnections in the evenings and have decided to change ISPs.
As far as I can see I have two options:-

Number 1
We have a wireless provider in our area called "Village Networks" http://www.villagenetworks.co.uk/.
Assuming I can get line of sight to their exchange. They seem to offer speeds of around 5Mb - unobtainable on my fixed line. However the downside is the monthly charge of £30 and I'm tied in for a year. Does anyone have experience of using this company? Will I get the advertised speed? Is gaming still possible or will latency be an issue?

Number 2
Change to another wired ISP where I won't be throttled and shaped in the evenings. (I assume that's what's happening at the mo) But my connection speed will remain the same. A bit slow....

Or should I wait for Fujitsu to cable my area with the 'spare' digital switch over money? wink

Cheers,

John
Standard User kijoma
(member) Fri 17-Jun-11 12:28:55
Print Post

Re: Does anyone use Village Networks?

[re: cheeseontoast] [link to this post]

Hi,

A quick look at their site and their "live blog" for news was last updated in 2009, not a great sign ..

The issue you report about slow downs in the evening is unlikely to be anything to do with Sky or any other market 1 provider you choose there.

Your issue is most likely Radio stations getting into your overhead cable in the evening due to ionospheric propagation effects.

Not a lot you can do about this as the frequencies they use are the same ones your router uses and as you are on a long line their signals are swamping the weak dribble the exchange is getting to you.

The effect of crosstalk on the line as it becomes part of ever large bundles as it heads back to the exchange can also have a notable effect too.

whereabouts are you?

Cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User cheeseontoast
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 14:51:53
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Thanks Kijoma,

That's one of the reasons I asked if anybody had used them. There doesn't appear to be much activity on their website and I also sent them a mail a few months ago and didn't get a reply. I think Talk Talk may also be involved when the wireless signal eventually reaches a fixed line. (But I could be wrong)

I live near Bicester on the Stratton Audley exchange. One big not spot between Bicester and Aylesbury.

Am I right in saying that even if I change ISPs I'll still have similar issues because of the overhead line?

I suppose the only way to tell if the 'Village Networks' service is any good would be look for a wireless broadband aerial on house, knock on the door and ask them to do a speed test....

Cheers,

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User villagenetworks
(newbie) Mon 22-Aug-11 16:26:58
Print Post

Village Networks is alive and well, with many hundreds of active users. The network continues to grow across the Vale of Aylesbury, parts of the Thames Valley, east Oxfordshire and west Herts. (It's a point-to-point line-of-sight network, so some communities may have to wait until the network reaches their area.) We offer up to 6 Mb/s download speeds and 0.5Mb/s . The service is uncapped, but subject to a fair use policy. The monthly subscription is £29.50 inc VAT. While there is an initial 12-month contract, it's a simply monthly contract after that. Compared with the charges and commitments actually applied by other providers, for slower services, and after the initial special offers have expired, it's actually a very comparable subscription rate.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Aug-11 16:55:28
Print Post

Sky Connect is an abysmal oversold service, nothing to do with interference or overhead lines.

A decent ADSL ISP would be better than Sky Connect.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
  Print Thread

Jump to