User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 03:42:34
Print Post

Help!!! What kind of Wireless Broadband Antenna is this?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I think our wireless broadband carrier is using our "antenna" (not to mention our electricity) to give services to people around us. Does anybody know what kind of set-up this is? We are a place of healing and compassion, but unfortunately mismanagement in the past has led entities to take advantage of us and us newbies are trying to fix this so we don't go broke and have to give up all the services we provide to the homeless and recovering (12 steps)

Here are the pics:
http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/hlavoe/

Any help would be truly appreciated!!!

Edited by LostOne (Sun 17-Jul-11 03:45:59)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Jul-11 13:18:28
Print Post

Re: Help!!! What kind of Wireless Broadband Antenna is this

[re: LostOne] [link to this post]

Take a better pic and I'd be able to help.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 17-Jul-11 15:19:59
Print Post

Why not switch it off when no one internally is using your service. You'll soon find out if others are using it. If it's powered off a socketed plug you can get a plug in meter to measure the wattage.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Sun 17-Jul-11 17:18:44
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I would also suggest that you monitor the WiFi transmissions in that area, using a program such as inSSIDer - normally it would have to be installed on a laptop or similar which has WiFi facilities built-in.

With that size of aerial/antenna and being in close proximity, it should swamp most other WiFi circuits in the area, then totally disappear when switched off.

It will also provide other information that may prove to be of use..
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-11 05:11:09
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

THANK YOU everyone for reading my post and trying to help. I am a volunteer so I am normally there at the end of the week, but I will try to go on Monday to take better close-up pictures.

I truly appreciate it!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jul-11 06:54:51
Print Post

You should also check your the Centre's Accounts for the name of the company that supplies it with the Centre's Broadband.

Additionally, if that aerial is being used to allow other Users to piggy-back, they will be frustrated if you leave the aerial unpowered, as suggested by others, for a significant period; and will contact the company to complain.

It may be that the earlier Centre "management" made an arrangement with the company, to allow the use of the premises and the siting of the aerial, in return for the Centre having free Broadband.

------------------------------

The actual siting seems strange, as the building will attenuate/reduce signals considerably to the left in the photo,so any potential piggy-back users "behind" the building would have difficulty in connecting.

I would expect such an aerial to be mounted high on a chimney or similar so as to minimise such signal loss.

In your mind, think of a simple tubular fluorescent lamp similarly positioned, there would be practically no light observable to the left, behind the building, only being visible to the more-open right, which may be a clue as to where the potential piggy-back users are located.

Interesting!
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Mon 18-Jul-11 17:24:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Interesting - when I take the pictures today, I will take a picture of where it is facing. We are definitely getting no benefit of having the antenna. They use our electricity AND we are paying $1000 a month ($550 internet, $450 voice) which is outrageous given what other providers are charging for much faster speed. In theory, if they are pushing signals to other subscribers, then they must re-amplify them, using more electricity, correct?

Pulling the plug is a great idea, which I will probably threaten to do when we approach the carrier about it, but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible in terms of the probability that they are indeed giving other service from our antenna.

There is actually another part to this Soap Opera. One of their "Site Acquisition Managers" has approached our facilities manager because they want to move the antenna further up the hill (near the top) and place it on an old, unused, water tower. The "new" set-up would have three antennas. I could post their proposal (minus identifying information so I don't get in trouble) if that would give you any ideas - but I am pretty sure they are using us on this one. Our service is perfectly fine, and they want to put up two additional antennas...? How dumb do they think we are.....

Thank you again for the feedback!!!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 21:02:09
Print Post

It'll only use a few watts (less than 10 watts I would expect) ... lol!

$1000 a month sounds a lot but really that is out of context without knowing where you are and what alternatives you have!

Thing is you'd most likely need two antennas; one directional antenna for the back-haul link and another omni directional or sector antenna to 'repeat' the signal. Unless using WDS peering.

If it is repeating the signal then turning it off risks 'up setting' the provider which would likely re-locate the antenna, cut you off and black list you never to provide you with service again.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Tue 19-Jul-11 05:29:06
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Ok - I've updated the pictures at the link below. You can see the entire set up, as well as the direction the pad is facing, and 90 degrees to the south.

So, is this antenna providing us broadband service as well as other customers further down the hill or around us, or just us? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/hlavoe/

The manufacturer of the antenna-square thingy is MTI Wireless Edge (MT 45600 - 5.15-5.875 GHz or something).

Thanks again!!!!
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jul-11 07:34:08
Print Post

Hi

Can't seem to find the exact model but it looks like a subscriber antenna and would only be suitable for providing service to you and not repeating to others.

Found:- http://www.mtiwe.com/uploads/product/221.pdf

Which is probably a new version of the same thing.

You should really just contact your Wireless ISP and ask them.

Let us know what they say!

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to