User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Jul-11 15:18:48
Print Post

Re: Help!!! What kind of Wireless Broadband Antenna is this

[re: LostOne] [link to this post]

If that is all there is, then I would say with 99% certainty that it is just a "receive" antenna and thus only you are getting a service from it.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Tue 19-Jul-11 16:54:59
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

The reason why we questioned our original antenna is because of the dicey way they came to us and proposed an "upgrade". I have uploaded a picture of the plan. Further up the hill is an unused water tank with nothing in its line of site. They want to put three antennas up there. Our service has been solid with our existing antenna, but they said this will "improve" our service. I have never heard of a company spending $15,000+ to improve one customer's service. In addition, he didn't approach management, he only approached the maintenance manager. The person's official title is "site acquisition manager", which in the cell tower world, are the guys that offer to lease out your land for a cell tower.

Now, would you say this proposal is going to serve only our site? They told the maintenance guy that they wanted to improve our voice communications........?

This is the last question and thank you so much for your time and help. After what has happened at the center over the years, it is hard to trust anybody......

They have not indicated what would be on the pipes, but with its triangle shape, it will become an endpoint to their network and will expand service.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n581/hlavoe/Prop...
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jul-11 19:53:54
Print Post

I am amazed how little grasp you seem to have on the whole situation.

1) is the water tower your property?
2) is the water tower even connected to your property?
3) are they actually proposing to install additional antennas on your property?

If you answer no to all of the above why were you even asking the question in the first place? What does it have to do with you?

The reason they would have told you that you would be able to upgrade is because if the water tower base station was installed they would be able to re-location your antenna to connect to that. You would then only need a small (short distance) antenna and would likely see a very real boots in speed, unless you are already rate limited down to the service level you are paying for.

Even with a base station on the water tower you (your property) would not be a 'repeater'.

Understand yet?

3 poles likely means they plan to have 3 sector antennas. Going by the fact that these are all one side I expect they are only planning 180 degree coverage using 3 x 60 degree antennas. Which if there is a hill or no properties behind this would make sense

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 19-Jul-11 20:00:51
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I agree and found an earlier but generally similar spec.

If you look at the top of its second sheet, it states-

Broadband Subscriber Antenna

It would appear that the site has either no phone lines or very long ones, so degrading Broadband/ADSL performance; and that this antenna with another at the other end, acts as a substitute.

It has a relatively narrow beam-width, 4.5 degrees, so any significant movement from the direct "line-of-sight" is liable to degrade performance or cut off totally.

In that respect similar to satellite receiving antenna - BUT both ways.

It is probably a planar multi-dipole array.

It may be that it has surplus capacity and thus the installer may wish to use it as a Repeater to give others in the locality similar access, hence his request regarding three other antennae, as the location generally looks good for such purposes.

You would need to read the original contract carefully - I suspect that the hardware remains the property of the installer; and that there may be a clause allowing such use - although access to the proposed site for those additional antennae may be negotiable, especially if the center owns the property.

If you have any members with a legal background, get them to check.
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Tue 19-Jul-11 20:12:42
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

I AM ASKING THESE QUESTIONS BECAUSE:

1) YES - the water tower IS OUR PROPERTY
2) YES - the water tower IS CONNECTED TO OUR PROPERTY
3) YES - THEY ARE PROPOSING IT!!

But as I previously mentioned, they are doing it in such a dicey fashion. One, they didn't contact the person on the account, but the "Site Acquisition Manager" randomly contacted the maintenance guy. Two, they weren't trying to get the director's permission, just the maintenance guy's permission (are you seeing why I am concerned). Three, they are claiming it will give us better "phone service", well our phone service is just fine. Why else would they spend tens of thousands of dollars to throw up three new antennas? To make us happy? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. Not to mention they are going to tear up 300 feet of our beautiful land to bring up cable and electricity (20 amps) for their "cabinet" that requires them to put in a 4 x 6 concrete slab.

Why so much trouble for ONE customer? Why tens of thousands of dollars for ONE customer? I just want someone familiar with how these things are set-up to validate my conclusion that they are going to be using our property and these new antennas to service additional customers, so we can make them sign a lease. These companies LOVE to take advantage of charities and non-profits, because they know that they are not familiar with leases or technology.

Now, do you understand yet?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 19-Jul-11 20:45:16
Print Post

I think your best bet would be to get your organization to write to their organization and request clarification as to why the kit is needed and what it will be used for. I'd be suspicious in your circumstances.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Jul-11 21:55:39
Print Post

Now, do you understand yet?
Yes.

So have you actually spoken to them yet?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:44:41
Print Post

The proposal diagram only shows the poles and not the antenna. They could be aiming to put quite a lot on there (though perhaps not all at once).

I fully agree with your concerns as they seem to be going about things in quite a sly fashion. I would suggest you arrange a direct head-to-head between the bosses of both organisations to thrash out exactly what they want to do and why. That then could give you a view on what (a) you might wish to charge and (b) they might be able/prepared to pay.

On the one hand, if they will be making as much money from it as a mobile phone operator might, then you could expect quite a lot in rental (UK sites can attract rentals of £10k to £20k per annum).

On the other hand, if they are pretty much "just" a small rural wireless ISP then there might not be much margin at all for them to play with and they are just trying to improve coverage to get a few more customers on board.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User LostOne
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:33:03
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Thank you! That is a great approach where we can get them to sign paperwork indicating their intentions, and if they start changing things on the water tower, then a re-evaluation needs to occur.

We knew we would end up talking to them, but we just wanted to have as much info as possible to determine how to move forward carefully and not screwing ourselves. In addition, we are considering a wireless tower as well, so if they aren't straight with us, we have another avenue forward to "balance the budget" which everybody in the world seems to be trying to do these days blush)

Thanks again!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to