User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Aug-11 18:17:45
Print Post

CCBP - Wireless Broadband Project in Carmarthenshire

[link to this post]

Hello All

Is anyone here aware of the new wireless broadband scheme being set up in Carmarthenshire communities?

http://ccbp.org.uk/

The first connection is already up and running, I live in a phase 2 area so it should be another couple of months before I am up and running.

Is this kind of setup as good as it sounds?

Thanks
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Aug-11 20:59:44
Print Post

Re: CCBP - Wireless Broadband Project in Carmarthenshire

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Have to admit it comes across more as a scheme to extract the "free" money that is available rather than to provide a wireless braodband service. £800 for an install is a huge amount of money for a residential grade service. The true cost ought to be around the £100 to £150 mark for the actual customer end of the work, and that is before any "subsidy" from ongoing monthly service fees.

The FAQ also comes across as a little naive. For instance:

4.5Mbps seems a strange speed to advertise as, for example, 5Mbps ought to be perfectly feasible if 4.5Mbps is.

4.5Mbps symmetric (taken literally) means 9Mbps of aggragate throughput capability per customer. Afterall, no download limits implies they could be uploading and downloading at max speed at the same time.

SDSL really is a copper based service not a wireless based one.

No download limits, but a fair usage policy. No mention of what that fair usage policy is though. The effects of contention kick in much more quickly with a wireless network than with a cabled network, and therefore need much tighter management if the "download junkies" are not to impact on normal users.

"The service should not slow down noticeably..." If there is no download limit, the it would probably not take many users downloading a movie to max out the serving transmitter site.

20:1 and 50:1 contention levels have not been used by (for example) adsl based ISPs for years.

"you can use your existing router". Not really, as the existing router is most likely to be an adsl one and the connection here will be ethernet.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 08-Aug-11 21:44:24
Print Post

Apparently the new wireless scheme is being set up by Bluewave Internet. They are offering packages of 10, 20 & 30meg using a wi-max system linked back into fibre connection in Carmarthen. The first scheme has been approved by the welsh assembly government and installations are starting straight away. Jones Television are also doing all their customer installations.
Check out their website if youre interested www.bluwaveinternet.co.uk
Looks quite promising!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 08-Aug-11 21:45:41
Print Post

sorry website is www.bluewaveinternet.co.uk
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 09-Aug-11 15:20:31
Print Post

Hi,

I am with Peter on this one..

It looks like a poorly thought out proposal with little substance behind it. the pricing page has the price after 3 months so small/blurry it is barely readable.

Wi-Max?, that is such an out of date technology, are they serious?

Sadly, many well established WiSPs have difficulty receiving these funds as they are too damn honest and actually provide a proven service as opposed to puffed up marketing speak.

So on the strength of what i see there, they should get plenty of public dosh, spend it and a year later....?

For every wannabe that fails, the industry gains a new layer of tarnish..
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 09-Aug-11 22:25:12
Print Post

Thanks for the replies.

Bluewave Internet is an alternative supplier, they have nothing to do with the CCBP project. ResQ from Cross Hands are the ones running the one that I mentioned.

http://www.resq.co.uk/

The cost is £24 a month.
Standard User CJ75
(newbie) Tue 09-Aug-11 22:40:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi,

I am with Peter on this one..

It looks like a poorly thought out proposal with little substance behind it. the pricing page has the price after 3 months so small/blurry it is barely readable.

Wi-Max?, that is such an out of date technology, are they serious?

Sadly, many well established WiSPs have difficulty receiving these funds as they are too damn honest and actually provide a proven service as opposed to puffed up marketing speak.

So on the strength of what i see there, they should get plenty of public dosh, spend it and a year later....?

For every wannabe that fails, the industry gains a new layer of tarnish..

I have decided to register, it was getting too confusing with all these anonymous users smile

This company is also involved with it, http://www.apcsolutionsuk.com/
Are your opinions still the same for the scheme knowing that it has nothing to do with Bluewave?

I have to ask the person who posted re: Bluewave, are you linked to the company?

Edited by CJ75 (Tue 09-Aug-11 22:47:20)

Standard User CJ75
(newbie) Tue 09-Aug-11 22:42:31
Print Post

[re: wirelesspacman] [link to this post]

Thanks wirelesspacman, there are still some questions that I need to ask them, your post will give me some pointers.
Standard User wirelesspacman
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Aug-11 23:58:05
Print Post

[re: CJ75] [link to this post]

No problem.

It is always possible it will be a good service, and just a little naive at the moment. Afterall, a lot of us WISPs started out that way! smile

Please do feel free to post and/or pm me if you wish.

Peter

Loop Scorpio Ltd
Ledbury; Highnam; Newent; Painswick; Arlingham, Cranham
===============================================

Symmetric Pro
Now also offering 20 Mbps symmetric broadband!
Standard User jl20210
(newbie) Fri 26-Apr-13 00:09:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for the replies.

Bluewave Internet is an alternative supplier, they have nothing to do with the CCBP project. ResQ from Cross Hands are the ones running the one that I mentioned.

http://www.resq.co.uk/

The cost is £24 a month.

I have been using this broadband service for over 6 months now, and I cannot speak highly enough of it.
I get 6meg up and down, no apparent restrictions, and it has only been out for a couple of very short periods during that time.
Also, I can now use VOIPfone for my normal "landline" telephone line , so have been able to ditch BT completely.
What a relief that is, and I am paying half what I paid BT for a much superior and infinitely more reliable service for my broadband and telephone, which is everything BT was not.

If you are thinking about signing up with RESQ IT, www.resq.co.uk just do it; you won't regret it! No call centres, just real people who get things done.

I have no connection with this company, other than being a happy customer.
  Print Thread

Jump to