User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Sep-11 02:12:22
Print Post

Is VFast the only wireless broadband in Kent?

[link to this post]

I've just moved to Kent from London and now have really horrible broadband - I use Pipex and get only 1mbps download speed, 200kbps during peak times. I am looking for something faster but people in the area have said VFast service is unreliable in the evenings and is extremely expensive.

Unfortunately it seems that there are no plans to improve our phone lines any time soon so I may be forced to go with VFast.

Are there any viable alternatives?

Just for information, I live in Thanet very near to Westwood Cross and I don't get any 3g signals (i've tried) and Satellite is both too expensive and too slow.

I work as a freelance photographer and journalist which means I do often upload a bunch of photographs to my website and even more often I have to download large raw uncompressed image files which are cripplingly slow with this [censored] connection.

In the evening I used to use my internet for streaming video (LOVEFiLM, iPlayer, YouTube, ITVPlayer, 4oD etc) but haven't been able to since moving here because speeds are too low. I also used to play Xbox Live games but this is also not really possible with such [censored] speeds.

I have tried taking my laptop to my friend's and using VFast connection but while his net is slightly faster than mine it's still pretty [censored] and I don't fancy forking out £27 a month for something that's only slightly faster.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Sep-11 07:43:07
Print Post

Re: Is VFast the only wireless broadband in Kent?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hello,

Going by your post, I'm guessing your either in Newington or around Manston Village.

The KCC Library has free high speed internet access for anybody with a KCC (Kent County Council) library card which is free to register.
The nearest one to you I think is the Marlowe Accademy, which should have very highspeed broadband.

You cant store/save anything on the computers, so you'l need a usb memory stick, and you cant watch Iplayer etc because the KCC Library doesnt have a tv license. Should be good for uploading your pictures and updating your website.

Once you have a library card, I recommend that you prebook a computer online to avoid fighting for a computer.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Sep-11 07:52:57
Print Post

Oops, forgot to mention that the Orange 3G Transmitter mast is on the Haine Industrial Park on the roof of Signs Direct.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Thu 01-Sep-11 11:07:26
Print Post

Hi

Firstly if your friend is having problems with the service then they should report this to us, either by calling 08451211257 or sending an e-mail to support at vfast.co.uk explaining their issue and giving the username or account number.

Providing there is a good line-of-sight to one of our many transmitter sites in Thanet then speeds should be good, 10Mbps or more most of the time and up-to 24Mbps on VMax.

The monthly is £24.99 for the standard VHome package which is up-to 15Mbps download and 2Mbps upload.

If you call us or send an e-mail to sales at vfast.co.uk with your address we can check if you are within coverage and give you a better idea of the speed you'd likely get.

Regards,
Tim
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Sep-11 01:27:04
Print Post

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses!

I bought myelf a Orange dongle thing, it arrives tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, vfast prices are just too much for my liking.

Tim, I will pass that message to my friend but as he's renting im not sure if he'll be able to get the details from his landlord to be able to talk to you.
Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 20:54:31
Print Post

Hi Anonymous,

Where are you based in Thanet? If you have a good line of sight to the Staner Flats (Manston Tesco area) you should get a perfect service.

I've been with VFast (previously So Broadband) since I can remember and since VFast have taken over I can't say I've had too many issues, especially since I was upgraded to the new network last year. I was on a trial service at the end of the year/beginning of this and I was seeing speeds of up to 50mbit - http://youtu.be/RaDq38vm6Zo. So it gives you an idea of the speeds that you can potentially get, there was also talk of 100mbit services but VFast have gone quite on this for now...

Unfortunately I'm having some speed related issues at the moment but support (Jonathan) is looking into the issues for me, but it could be down to the fact my LOS isn't the best due to trees and the foliage. I'll have to see after some further testing. Hopefully I'll be back to full speed in the near future, perhaps when we hit Autumn... lol.

I wouldn't say £25 is expensive especially when you're getting 15/2mbit speeds, unlimited downloads, great support, all when you can't get a decent ADSL/Fibre connection. I personally think it will be even better value when we get speed upgrades in the future....... hint hint... ;o)

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 02-Sep-11 21:05:18
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

I just wanted to mention that if you are doing a lot of photography work, uploading and downloading large files, how is that going to work via 3G? I've always thought the speed of 3G was quite abysmal most of the time with limitations on how much data you can transfare?

I'd also like to know if you're friend was on the older VFast network? In all honesty, it wasn't really up to much compared with the new network. I only ever managed 3-4mbit max (hell, it was still better than my ADSL connection and probably 3G... lol!).

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Sat 03-Sep-11 13:20:31
Print Post

Hi

Good luck with Orange mobile broadband. Hopefully the usage limits and low speed will not be a problem. You know we're always here if you change your mind wink

Tim
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Sep-11 21:48:12
Print Post

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

So do you still have to pay the £100 upfront for installation and buy your on router on top of that for VFast ?
Standard User vfast_tim
(newbie) Tue 06-Sep-11 22:07:48
Print Post

Hi

Basically yes. Installation is £99 and a router from us pre-configured is £45. Your free to buy your own (cable broadband) router or just plug the Ethernet cable from the Antenna directly into your PC.

Funded areas have different pricing thanks to KCC broadband not-spot funding. If you live in one of the funded parishes then installation will be free or reduced.

Regards,
Tim
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to