User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WFarren
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 00:39:43
Print Post

VFast steam users

[link to this post]

Note: I've been reading these forums for a while now, if you've come to turn this into a discussion about the merits or pitfalls of VFast or if you're not willing to say who you are, please don't, it's very boring to read and it makes you look like a child.

With that said, I have had a problem for a while now with Steam being limited to 1mbps and I would like to know if anyone else using VFast uses Steam and has a similar issue?

I used to get speeds of up to around 22mbps~ but now my connection to any of the Steam servers never exceeds 1mbps.

VFast support have told me that as far as they know there is no reason for this. Steam support say there's no reason for this either and that the fault must lie with my ISP.

I'd like to know what speeds other VFast users get when trying to download from Steam.

If you don't have steam installed but are curious to find out, go to steampowered.com and download steam and then use it to download a free game such as Team Fortress 2.
Standard User WFarren
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 01:06:28
Print Post

Re: VFast steam users

[re: WFarren] [link to this post]

Ah I forgot to mention, one semi-work around is to get someone else to download the game using your steam account, put it on a disc or usb drive (or send it to you) and then give it to you, if you place it in the correct place and then verify local game cache, sometimes steam recognises that the files are there, other times it'll only see half of them and will download the rest.
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Wed 21-Mar-12 20:15:35
Print Post

Hi Warren,

I'm on the 25mb/10mb VFast Max package and I use Steam.

The last few games I downloaded on my pc (and my brother did to his pc) came down at 2.8mb/s which is pretty much the max throughput. My brother did re-download Football Manager 2012 a few days ago at ~8pm and it hit 2.4mb/s.

I would prefer it if Steam had a built in bandwidth limiter as whenever it is downloading, it always uses the maximum available bandwidth.

**Edit**
FYI I am on the Dunkirk mast which did have some issues with contention last year. All is well now since the backhaul upgrade and new mid-span router.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s

Edited by Yaz (Wed 21-Mar-12 20:17:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WFarren
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 02:19:08
Print Post

[re: Yaz] [link to this post]

Hello Yaz, unfortunately you've made a common mistake, my name is not Warren.

Could you do me a favour and find out from what IP your steam downloads usually come from?
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 22-Mar-12 20:01:39
Print Post

Sorry WFarren (was actually dealing with a Warren at work yesterday plus your almost same name stuck in my head).

I'm using the London server for Steam. Not sure what IP. Is there a way to check?

vFast Ltd

Edited by Yaz (Thu 22-Mar-12 22:40:18)

Standard User WFarren
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 22:07:01
Print Post

Task Manager -> Performance -> Resource Monitor
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 22-Mar-12 22:42:02
Print Post

81.171.115.6 - At idle.

vFast Ltd
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 02-Apr-12 03:53:47
Print Post

WFarren did you find out what you were after?

vFast Ltd
  Print Thread

Jump to