User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 04-Apr-12 00:16:43
Print Post

Community Co-Op Broadband Project

[link to this post]

Hey everyone, my name is Glenn MacKenzie and I live in the highlands of Scotland.

Myself and the local village currently do not have a reliable telephone link, let alone any sort of broadband. This is quite difficult for us as we are struggling to remain solvent whilst living in a remote area.

Our community is mainly made up of generations of families who have grown up here, we have many families of farmers, a shop, a pub and a primary school all within 10 miles, but with modern machinery and modern science there is less and less chance for us to catch up with the rest of the country. Some of our artisans and craftsmen relied on business in local towns but never earned enough to move away. In addition to this our nearest secondary school has recently closed and this means our children have no choice but to be home educated or sent off to boarding school. Both of these options are less than ideal.

We are in sore need of some sort of broadband for the village, else our generation will be the last to be able to stay here.

Last year we managed to get a satellite link into a nearby village hall which now serves as a sort of internet cafe. Unfortunately the cost is astronomical, the speed is really unreliable and we have very small usage limits. We approached the company providing the service about cutting a deal to supply individual houses but at up to £100 a month, it's really not something we can afford.

We have approached BT many times over the years and only recently have we ever heard back, we do not have enough households in our village and the surrounding villages to be big enough for them to replace our aluminium overhead cabling, let alone provide some sort of broadband.

So this brings me here...

None of us are particularly well educated in computers and we are likely not to qualify for any of the digital britain money as some of our villages are not even named villages, more a collection of 2-3 houses and a farm.

What we have managed to do is get around 50 families in the area to pledge £150 each towards setting up a local co-operative internet solution.

It is obvious we are not going to be able to afford a cabled solution, nor are we going to put up with the high price and flakey service of a satellite.

I have read about fixed wireless being a potential solution to our problem and it seems like we could, for very little money, set up a business which will be able to provide a decent service to our communities.

Luckily I am in London for the next few weeks and I have a free wifi in our hotel so I am able to make this contact, even to contact people here back at home is a very frustrating process.

Unfortunately though, I don't know where to start. i've spent the last 4 hours or so reading through this site and I have heard all sorts of different things, in short, what equipment and knowledge do we need to set this up?

How much would it cost and who do we pay? Once we have set up our network amongst eachother, how do we connect to the Internet? What does this cost?

Our goal is to offer something at around £25 a month, we need at least enough speed that people can surf the net, host a website for their businesses, allow remote home schooling (some sort of video conferencing?).

Added bonuses would be if it is fast enough to allow people to watch TV, as we currently only get BBC 1 and ITV in some areas (some of the higher up farms can get BBC2 and CH4 also, but some of the houses in the village don't). And perhaps something to entertain the kids.

I expect that due to all of these things being quite intense, it would be preferable if we were not to impose a limit as this is one of the things that we find we hit very easily at the hall, even with strict limits that only surfing be allowed on the computers.

The idea would be that if the co-operative becomes profitable, we would invite other communities to join us and eventually the cost of the service would decrease.

Any help in giving me pointers on where to go and what we'd need to set this up would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 04-Apr-12 08:44:14
Print Post

Re: Community Co-Op Broadband Project

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Satellite solutions are available for £25 or £30 per month with setup costs of maybe £300 minimum. http://www.toowaybroadband.co.uk/ and several others. http://www.ruralbroadband.co.uk/

If you want a TV service I strongly recommend you use satellite TV as the most appropriate technology, not TV over the internet when you're struggling for an internet connection. http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/ or http://www.freesat.co.uk/

You can build a wireless network to serve the locality, but you need a connection to the outside world or "backhaul" in the jargon. This could be long distance point to point wireless, but that needs line of site to somewhere with decent connectivity maybe 10km away. A fibre optic connection is the other long distance tech but that needs trenching in and again needs somewhere to connect it to.

An end user connection on a wireless broadband setup may cost £150 - £250 if professionally installed. Per household / business. Then you need the "central" base station or base stations to connect them up via line of sight.

Limits are going to be inevitable to give everyone a workable service if you're sharing a thin pipe back to the rest of the planet.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Wed 04-Apr-12 09:50:18)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Wed 04-Apr-12 22:35:26
Print Post

I suggest that you review all the Tooway resellers on:

http://www.tooway.com/Purchase.

£25 pm for 8GB data at 6mbps is arguable a better deal than I got when I originally signed up for an ADSL connection.

This would be quite easy to install. DIY installation looks to be perfectly possible.

Any kind of community project would be much more difficult, both technically and commercially.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Apr-12 06:32:39
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thank you for your comments lads.

Unfortunately our experience of Satellite so far is that it's really expensive, limits are very low, speeds are slow (I was once trying to contact a client in Belgium using the village hall's wifi using skype and it was extremely delayed to the point that I just sucked it up and paid the oversees call - for a Scot you should understand how big of a deal this is.)

Nice idea with Freesat, i'll spread that around.

Ultimately why I have come here is to find information about fixed wireless because we feel this could be a long term solution which will finally bring us forward to 2012. To extend that analogy, going and getting everyone satellite and paying Tooway would just bring us to a level of service that would be acceptable in 2004. It is in no way a service fit for the future, it will in no way help regenerate our rural community.

I do appreciate the sentiments though lads, just would prefer if someone would be willing to help me with the fixed wireless stuff!

Glenn
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 05-Apr-12 10:59:48
Print Post

There's more than one satellite up there so the fundamental services can be different, as well as the myriad of different deals on offer.

Similarly you can get good call packages on landlines - Belgium is in my inclusive call time per month for example. "Satellite delay" is a characteristic I'm afraid.

How are you going to make the external connection to the internet is the first thing to get over. Where nearby has decent connectivity, how far is it, is it in a straight line ?

A postcode or grid reference would help us envisage things.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Apr-12 23:54:34
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Alas the promise a lot but deliver little is my thought on satellite sliding usage windows and upsell when capacity is an issue even with ka birds pus me off.

Also ajax enabled sites hate the latency

Fixed or microwave wireless for backhaul link. Where in scotland is key as you can visit people who have done what you want

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Fri 06-Apr-12 09:58:31
Print Post

Hi,

Send us post codes of the relevant area and we can take a look at your backhaul options and what FWA kit would achieve the objective, no charge.

This may help set the ball rolling there and allow you decide what to do next

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Sun 08-Apr-12 21:15:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT are piloting a Fibre only exchange. How long do we have to wait before FTTH becomes something people in more rural areas can have?

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Apr-12 21:20:12
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Depends on how rural, and who wins the BDUK projects

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sun 15-Apr-12 22:45:09
Print Post

It might be worth looking at wireless.navigator.co.uk for information about community wi-fi, though the backhaul is a different matter.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to