User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 1jim
(newbie) Sat 28-Apr-12 23:36:31
Print Post

Wireless Internet provider in Nottingham

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I am connected to Cotgrave exchange in Nottingham, we are right at the end of the line and only get speeds at around 512, no sign of fibre anytime soon, broadband is slow and at times unreliable

I received a call and follow up emails from ineedbroadband.co.uk who use wireless broadband, apparently they plan to site a mast nearby, it all looks promising but I don't know anyone who uses this company or technology to get broadband but am really interested in the chance of getting faster bur reliable Internet, it would be great to use Iplayer etc

Are there any issues I need to be aware of, what should I be looking for or asking? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Jim
Standard User 1jim
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 19:19:09
Print Post

Re: Wireless Internet provider in Nottingham

[re: 1jim] [link to this post]

Anyone?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-May-12 00:03:05
Print Post

Are there any issues I need to be aware of, what should I be looking for or asking? Any help would be appreciated, thanks
If they are using 5.8Ghz FWA (Wi-Fi/WiMax) then line of sight between the mast and your property is required.

Ask them how they are providing the backhaul, bandwidth to the mast. What they expect the ping times to be and is there a fair usage policy (if so what are the details).

That'll get you started.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 1jim
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 16:54:19
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

A told that the signal is wireless to fibre.

I'm not sure if they will know ping as they have said that they won't be able to estimate speeds installed. Is it worth asking anyway?

The fair usage policy is about 15Gb which is less than I have now but more than I use currently.... Can see my use increasing though if speeds improve... Would be great to use sky anytime plus etc
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-May-12 18:27:13
Print Post

I'm not sure if they will know ping as they have said that they won't be able to estimate speeds installed. Is it worth asking anyway?
Sure they can't estimate!? - Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. Anyone can estimate, whether it is a good estimate or not is something else.

15GB isn't much usage, not enough for any regular TV streaming.

As long as they are using fibre and have enough capacity then pings will be fine for gaming, voip etc.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User 1jim
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 08:50:17
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Have decided to give this a try, apparently mast now active and can achieve 20Mb, have opted to try for 8Mb and see how that goes and may upgrade if possible later. Install hopefully in just over a week. Gonna keep the old landline service for a few weeks to make sure am happy then cancel if all good. Will report back when has been installed
  Print Thread

Jump to