User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User communityuk
(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 12:23:51
Print Post

FREE Community WiFi Broadband - Not a myth!!

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have read with interest some of the threads on here regarding Rural and Community Broadband.

At CommunityUK, we are providing COMPLETELY FREE Wireless Broadband services to communities in both rural and urban areas in the UK, along with a range of online "Community Networking" tools to help the community connect and get the best from the internet.

Currently operating in Hampshire and Kent, we are already talking to other communities around the UK with a view to providing our service.

It seems that the combination of genuinely FREE broadband offered, together with our community engagement and support ethos and approach is being seen as far more attractive to communities than a standard, highly priced, commercial alternative.

And it works! - In our pilot project in Hampshire, we are successfully covering c6000 Homes (12,000 by October) and have achieved this at a fraction of the cost most large commercial WISPs charge. PLUS, our users can access a completely FREE Service. Having launched last June, and with minimal marketing, we now have c18% market share (i.e. more than Sky, Orange etc.) and are releasing c£30,000 per month cash back into the local community by way of Broadband fees no longer being paid to the majors. A big impact on the local community!!

In addition, the fact that we are already connected with the Government's BDUK initiative and the DEFRA Rural Broadband team, we are able to provide a great deal of support and guidance when it comes to applying for government funding for such projects.

If anyone would like to know more about CommunityUK and what we are able to offer, please feel free to contact me directly.

The CommunityUK Concept Brochure is available to download from:- http://tinyurl.com/6srn3h4

Also, a recording of the BBC Click feature on our Pilot Project in Leigh Park, Hampshire can be viewed here:- www.youtube.com/thecommunityuk.

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Tel: 0845 077 4014
Mob: 07828 075140
Email: prf@communityuk.net
Web: www.communityuk.net
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-12 19:04:52
Print Post

Re: FREE Community WiFi Broadband - Not a myth!!

[re: communityuk] [link to this post]

Hi

Is this just another Wi-Fi hotspot/mesh thing that has been tried and failed many many times before or is there something you are doing differently?

Just standard Wi-Fi? How on earth do you cope with all the interference from other Wi-Fi networks also operating on 2.4Ghz?

"With our own high performance fixed line ADSL/Broadband connections at the centre of our networks..."

So you just take an ADSL connection and share out that 8~20Mbps with everyone on your network?

LoL! Good luck.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Mon 14-May-12 19:06:51)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 14-May-12 19:39:51
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Looks like some rubbish Tory bread and circuses thing, god help us if this service counts as making places not a notspot.

Hopefully my taxes aren't funding this black hole.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Mon 14-May-12 20:01:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What you are clearly ignoring is the simple fact hat this service is up, running across thousands of homes and providing a great service to over a thousand users and is growing at the rate of approaching 200 new users every month! Almost purely by word of mouth. It is also now expanding into other communities that have seen the proof of it's success and want it themselves.

We are used to these types of statements. All I can say is:-

It works - no arguments, no spin it just does and very well - Simple fact.

It gives a great deal back to the communities it operates in - Simple fact.

It provides huge value for money for both the users and any funders - Again simple fact.

It has nothing to do with politics - It's just about giving people the tools and support they need to live in ths day and age.

Yes we are doing things differently and to the benefit of those who work with us. What is that? - now that would be telling wouldn't it smile

Whilst I fully understand questioning, Ill informed and unhelpful cynicism is a tad poor really.

I also fully expect competing services and organisations of all sizes to question and try to ridicule - Why wouldn't they when they are charging the public for what we give away? I suspect there may be some of that here smile

The fact is you should be applauding and supporting projects like this not pointlessly knocking them.

As I said in my original post, if anyone across the UK genuinely wants to know more but us and what we do, I will be only too happy to engage.

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-12 22:17:07
Print Post

Hi

Well if it is working then well done and good luck for the future.

I'm not Ill-informed, in fact I worked on a similar projects some 5-6 years ago that tried to do the same and failed. That was mainly because of the lack of low cost reliable kit at the time, that's changed now, I know. However many of the problems remain, mainly to do with range of wi-fi, interference and lack of channels, there's only 3 non-overlapping ones (at 2.4Ghz)!

Can you please answer the questions in my previous post that you have ignored with your reply.

Thanks,

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 07:48:06
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Hi,

Ok - As to the 2.4GHz issue, yes we are using different equipment and we are doing some different and innovative things that are overcoming the issues you describe. Just what they are I am afraid I will not say here as they provide us with clear competitive advantage. I am sure you understand.

As to our bandwidth, we are able to utilise and manage bandwidth from any available source be it ADSL, Fibre, Satellite etc. and we are able to get bandwidth into any location, regardless of how remote.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Tue 15-May-12 09:55:21
Print Post

hmm

I am with the others on this, it all sounds real great and something that's been tried many times before.

What is your business model?, how is it going to be paid for? . It seems your model is to attract local businesses to pay to advertise on your system, that works..*cough*

Meraki type meshes are all good and fine but somebody has to pay for capacity somewhere

Who is responsible for the users content if they commit a "net crime" of they have no contract?, is it you or the ADSL line owner you are "borrowing" from?

here is from your website (The about page "Concept brochure" PDF) :-

With our own high performance fixed line ADSL/Broadband Connections at the centre of our networks, we utilise the latest in WiFi technology to deliver our broadband services to and all around the community

So this is generic WiFi fed from ADSL lines, not exactly original and of course is nothing unique or special. Many questions still stand, how are you going to deal with congestion and interference? What if people using paid for Broadband services complain and they or their ISPs take action against you for sterilising the spectrum around them and rendering their own indoor wifi performance useless?

Are you going to comply with the WiFi power output regulations or just spam everybody with the strongest signal via a mesh of mass polluters?

You may have good intentions but as already stated , free access wifi systems are so turn of the century and even though wifi take up was much less back then, it still did not work as a business model.

SO, you are NOT using different equipment, you are using WiFi as already mooted. You have no magical secret "clear competitive advantage", it is all marketing speak.

we are able to get bandwidth into any location, regardless of how remote.

So, how are you going to do this?, put a satellite system in and give out the "limited" capacity for FREE ?

We may appear a bunch of cynics on this Forum but the Many of the regulars here are seasoned Wireless professionals who have seen this all before and know the damage it has undeservedly caused to the reputation of "wireless" as a technology.

Company metrics / info > http://companycheck.co.uk/company/06967993

In reply to a post by communityuk:
Hi,

Ok - As to the 2.4GHz issue, yes we are using different equipment and we are doing some different and innovative things that are overcoming the issues you describe. Just what they are I am afraid I will not say here as they provide us with clear competitive advantage. I am sure you understand.

As to our bandwidth, we are able to utilise and manage bandwidth from any available source be it ADSL, Fibre, Satellite etc. and we are able to get bandwidth into any location, regardless of how remote.

Hope that answers your questions.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband - (Division of Kijoma Solutions Ltd)
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-May-12 10:17:26
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Interesting, What happened to :-

5MILES COMMUNICATIONS LIMITED (taking a serious economic dive > http://companycheck.co.uk/company/06432001 )

DIGITAL BRITAIN CORPORATION LIMITED (dissolved)

WHITEWAVE SOLUTIONS LTD (dissolved)

They all seemed to have wonderous goals and the team there were involved with them all?
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 14:16:57
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your response.

To be honest with you, I am not surprised by your questioning and comments. As essentially one of our competitors, who is charging for a service that time we are offering for FREE, AND on your doorstep, I am not at all surprised that you would want to spread some doubt on this or knock the concept and our company. I get that and I am sure others will too.

Regardless of any experience you or others may have (I myself have over 30yrs IT/Networking experience and have successfully built Wireless Networks of all sizes and types for a big chunk of that in the UK and Europe, in some very difficult terrain and circumstances) or doubts etc. about our ability to deliver, the fact is that we can and already do. AGAIN it is that simple.

We are simply doing what we do very well. Inovatively and completely within all necessary legal boundaries. Also, regardless of the fact that we are a relatively new company and have just filed our first year's accounts (thanks for the rather cynically and actually nefariously placed link to the company check! lollol), we are in a very strong position with a proven concept that is already being taken up by others and that is supported right up to cabinet level in central government. The future is looking very bright for CommunityUK and our users smile

As to our business model, I am extremely sure you would like to know what it is! - Pardon me if I don't fill you in though won't you smile However, ANY genuine community or organisation that wishes to work with us, subject to the normal, sensible business safeguards, will be provided with all the information they require to understand how we do and achieve what we do.

As to the source of our bandwidth, as you surely know yourself being so experienced, we utilise the best of what is available to us in the situation and location we are operating in to get the job done and the service we promise provided. I am sure you do too?

With regard to "marketing speak" and our supposedly "turn of the century" approach, I AGAIN point you to the simple fact that we are actually achieving and doing what we say we are. What more proof does anyone need?? Just because you are clearly unable to understand it or believe it and cannot do it yourselves does not mean it cannot be done because it is!! I am not trying to be rude but I find the constant denial of stated and provable fact very frustrating!

SO.... Any genuine enquirers who are looking at broadband solutions for their communities, rural or otherwise, please feel very free to give me a call to discuss what we can do for you. We are VERY different and we can prove it!

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
(newbie) Tue 15-May-12 14:37:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Oh how the cynical attack born of clear fear of our competition continues.

To answer your questions:-

5miles Communications - We are nothing to do with 5miles Communications. The link with that company that still operates in Bognor (as far as we are aware) was severed completely over a year ago before the full launch of CommunityUK. The person who runs it was and is the original main owner and proprietor of 5miles and also has no involvement at all with our company. Which is precisely how we want it.

Digital Britain Corporation - This was created purely as a trading name/brand to keep us in tune with the Government's Digital Britain initiative. We subsequently decided that this was no longer necessary or beneficial to us so the company was dissolved. It had never traded by the way. Just bought for the name and the "Goals" are being achieved by CommunityUK in spades now smile

Whitewave Solutions - I was personally involved in the company that was used as a Consultancy vehicle. With the success and development of CommunityUK, I decided I no longer had time nor need for it and the company was dissolved.

I hope that answers these questions.

Shame on you for being so vindictive and petty and being so behind the cowardly "Anonymous" tag. Although certain aspects of the post suggest it is from someone who has already posted. Thanks for ANOTHER company check smile

I really do suggest that more time is spent either on your own business or, indeed, in engaging in constructive and even beneficially collaborative discussion.

Regards,
Peter Reed-Forrester
CommunityUK.net Ltd
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to