User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:58:23
Print Post

FTTP or wireless?

[link to this post]

In areas where FTTC is available but unable to provide speeds of 5mbps or more, will (should?) county councils with BDUK funding look to wireless solutions or just tell residents in these areas that they should order 'FTTP on demand'.

Michael Chare
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Thu 07-Jun-12 19:05:24
Print Post

Re: FTTP or wireless?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

First thing I would do is check what your local County Council are doing with regards to Broadband rollout and what there plans are for BDUK funding.

I can only guess that those unable to get FTTC due to low predicted sync's will be able to get FTTP on demand but the install costs may be higher due to distance from the FTTC cab or Exchange. It's pretty much going to be wait and see until it starts to be rolled out commercially next year.

As for Wireless broadband, Kent County Council and VFast have worked together, along with the respective Parish Councils, to award funding for many areas to get high speed broadband. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the BDUK funding or not but hopefully someone from VFast will be able to help.

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s

Edited by Yaz (Thu 07-Jun-12 19:12:53)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jun-12 08:13:17
Print Post

You've forgotten about areas where the exchange is FTTC enabled but the cabinet is not. In those areas FTTP on demand won't be available as well.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Jun-12 16:56:34
Print Post

If you can get FTTP and you're choosing wireless instead, you are very silly, you really cannot fault an FTTP service (except it may have a contended backhaul, but that's even more of an issue with wireless).

Push the little blighters to give you FTTP.
  Print Thread

Jump to