User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gmc1
(learned) Fri 01-Mar-13 14:22:09
Print Post

Re: VFast - New Packages to be announced

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Well I'm pleasantly surprised at the unlimited pricing. Fully expected it to be more expensive than the existing package.

It will be interesting to see if the AUP has changed in any way. Currently this is 200GB I believe on max.
If not it would have been nice to have a higher usage option available at greater cost.

This does look good but since I know I am one of the high downloaders, I would have liked to have been able to have a higher allowance at a higher cost. That way I would not feel guilty and always be worrying about downloading too much.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Fri 17-May-13 08:49:19
Print Post

So is anyone on the new service yet? Would be interested in how it is performing.

All looks very quiet on their website. Another few months and it will be a year since the announcement!
Standard User majika2007
(learned) Fri 17-May-13 09:08:10
Print Post

Out of curiosity, where are the "key repeater sites" which you referred to in the post introduction..
Are those "Key repeater sites" separate from the 26 (odd) main Aggregation Points (APs) dotted throughout the country? or are they partly situated in between strategic locations between the AP's and the backhalls links you guys have got setup? wink

As I understand wireless providers are a 'slightly' different beast when it come to talking about network structures etc..

Plusnet Waiting for FTTC Install smile

Edited by majika2007 (Fri 17-May-13 09:10:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User slimj
(member) Fri 17-May-13 09:23:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
So is anyone on the new service yet? Would be interested in how it is performing.

All looks very quiet on their website. Another few months and it will be a year since the announcement!

I'm in Thanet and have had my connection improved substantially after Tim asked me to run some tests. While I'm yet to see the full 50Mbit speeds (touched about 40mbit but more work is required to bring the speeds up), my latency has improved massively with no high latency periods in the evenings which I was suffering with before - it's consistently around 10ms now.

I don't think it's an easy task to just give everbody 50mbit, some serious work will have to go in to making sure the backhaul can handle the demand without affecting other users. You also have to remember this is a small company, not BT or Sky! I think they've done a great job so far. wink

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vfast_tim
(learned) Fri 17-May-13 18:23:06
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi Slimj

Considering your connection is 3 wireless hops before it hits Gbit fibre that's good going. I've not yet had the chance to organise the next part of the upgrade, but rest assured this is coming soon.

Hi gmoorc

Here's a speed test done by a customer in Eastry testing ~50Mbps:- http://www.speedtest.net/result/2712379481.png

Hi majika2007

Key repeater sites are those with fibre or microwave backhaul which then feed many other 'local' repeaters. These are in main towns around Kent where fibre (Ethernet Access Direct or equivalent) is readily available.

Tim Higgs
Vfast internet | Technical Support
01227 668 901 | support (at) vfast.co.uk | twitter: @vfast_net
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sat 18-May-13 09:29:23
Print Post

[re: vfast_tim] [link to this post]

Looks impressive. Especially maintaining the low latency.
Good luck with the rest of the roll out.

Unfortunately I think I would need a repeater closer to Hawkinge to take advantage of the new speeds, as well as our usage being too high.
Standard User vfast_tim
(learned) Sat 18-May-13 11:14:07
Print Post

Yes we'd need a repeater in Hawkinge and that would need to connect back to Guston (wireless) or to Folkestone using a Wholesale Ethernet Service. I've looked at locations for a repeater in Hawkinge and never found somewhere suitable that wouldn't need a 12~15 meter lattice mast put up; there's no tall flats or office blocks.

We've had little demand from Hawkinge, perhaps because most get 10~20Mbps on ADSL2+ (TT, Sky and BT WBC). I expect we'd see more interest if we could provide ~50Mbps but would need a Gig WES and few hundred customers in Hawkinge to cover the cost of that.

Tim Higgs
Vfast internet | Technical Support
01227 668 901 | support (at) vfast.co.uk | twitter: @vfast_net
Standard User chall32
(newbie) Sat 31-Aug-13 17:31:46
Print Post

Question to vFast:

I'm interested in AirFibre Max product and know I'm in a good area for reception (Ashford with several neighbours that already have vFast connections), I would like to know what penalties there are should I go over the 100GB monthly usage figure....

I could not find anything related to this in the AUP PDF on your website.

Also, if I were to request a static IP, are there any additional costs involved? (Again, I saw something about static IP's being available but nothing about any costs etc)

Thanks

Chris
Standard User slimj
(member) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:43:16
Print Post

[re: chall32] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chall32:
Question to vFast:

I'm interested in AirFibre Max product and know I'm in a good area for reception (Ashford with several neighbours that already have vFast connections), I would like to know what penalties there are should I go over the 100GB monthly usage figure....

I could not find anything related to this in the AUP PDF on your website.

Also, if I were to request a static IP, are there any additional costs involved? (Again, I saw something about static IP's being available but nothing about any costs etc)

Thanks

Chris

Best to email them directly or write a post on their facebook page.

I doubt you'll be able to get a static IP, last time I saw a post they didn't offer this. I'm sure if you kept going over the monthly usage allowance they would either restrict your connection and probably advise you go up to their next package.

James

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Tue 17-Dec-13 01:26:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by vfast_tim:
Here's a speed test done by a customer in Eastry testing ~50Mbps:- http://www.speedtest.net/result/2712379481.png

Hi Tim
I'm in Woodnesborough (line of sight to the bunker at ash) and when I first joined Vfast (2011) I was consistently getting over 50Mbps and at best over 60Mbps
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1130610467.png
Unfortunately I don't get those speeds any more but I'm always willing if you want a candidate for testing the higher speeds smile

I see the new packages are now listed on the vfast site and it is a great shame they are all 24Mb I hoped at least one of the packages would be 50Mb so I could regain those old speeds (especially as the St Nicolas ones were all 50Mb)
Also no mention of contention ratio for any of the packages ?

Cheers
John

Edited by ModemMan (Tue 17-Dec-13 01:56:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to