User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yaz
(experienced) Mon 28-Jul-14 20:26:57
Print Post

Re: VFast - New Packages to be announced

[re: Shempz] [link to this post]

Any luck Shempz?

vFast Ltd
Downstream ~24336.33 kbit/s - ~2970.74 KB/s
Upstream ~10224.86 kbit/s - ~1248.15 KB/s
Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Mon 23-Feb-15 18:31:25
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Hi, interested to know how your vfast speeds are holding up? Ive gone from hitting over 30mb to 10mb at peak times and through till after midnight. Had engineer out to check and everything is fine, so he said its congestion on the connection. When I speak to vast and they check my line I get an instant bump to 20mb and then 5 mins after the phone call speeds drop down to 10mb again. had a few tests come in at 2mb!!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4165321682

Im on a wired connection and early morning speeds hit over 20mb no problem. Very frustrating!

Also what are your ping test results?

http://www.pingtest.net/result/117807879.png

Edited by V10Diesel (Mon 23-Feb-15 18:35:05)

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 23-Feb-15 21:10:47
Print Post

[re: V10Diesel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by V10Diesel:
Hi, interested to know how your vfast speeds are holding up? Ive gone from hitting over 30mb to 10mb at peak times and through till after midnight. Had engineer out to check and everything is fine, so he said its congestion on the connection. When I speak to vast and they check my line I get an instant bump to 20mb and then 5 mins after the phone call speeds drop down to 10mb again. had a few tests come in at 2mb!!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4165321682

Im on a wired connection and early morning speeds hit over 20mb no problem. Very frustrating!

Also what are your ping test results?

http://www.pingtest.net/result/117807879.png

Hi V10,

Where are you based?

There's some discussion on this thread. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/wirelessbb/f/438922...

I've been a long time user and I am in the same boat, service has been pretty poor in the evenings and nowhere near the quoted 'superfast' speeds of 24Mb/s in the evening hours. I'm lucky to get 5Mb/s anytime between 6pm-11pm, but times when I don't want to use it (as I'm at work) it's perfect! Latency is pretty terrible in the evenings due to the congestion.

Here's my 'superfast' speeds from a (wired) test just taken - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4165709668

I have a support ticket open and it has been open since January 12th but I still do not have a resolution. Have been told I will be moved to a new transmitter once installed but nothing has happened since I was first told after an engineer visit. I'm not happy. I'm also hosting a repeater on my chimney (Manston) so it must be affecting others.

I'll be chasing this week for a resolution. Good mind to pause payment until problem gets resolved.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Tue 24-Feb-15 12:30:09
Print Post

Hi thanks for responding. Im in Pluckley and use the lenham repeater.

I was originally with them in Ashford back when max speed was 2mb and was lucky enough to be able to get their service here in Pluckley. Its a shame they have over subscribed the service, hopefully they will increase their capacity soon. Fttc is going to be everywhere in the next 2 years so they need to be competitive.
Standard User slimj
(member) Tue 24-Feb-15 18:47:51
Print Post

Hi V10,

Perhaps I spoke to soon! Spoke to VFast today and they seem to have resolved my issue as they have done some upgrades in Thanet. This has improved my connection nicely!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4168014135 (17Mb/s / 19Mb/s)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4168041111 (24Mb/s / 10Mb/s)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Normally at this time I'd be lucky to get 5Mb/s down! Hopefully they will resolve your issues shortly, perhaps send them a message regarding any issues?
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 22:45:15
Print Post

. Fttc is going to be everywhere in the next 2 years so they need to be competitive.

I am sure of Vfast and other "non BT" providers had received a fraction of the state aid BT had then the capacity would be much higher.

It is very difficult to be competitive in a commercially sustainable way when you own and operate all your infrastructure at your cost while you competition is receiving £ Billions in benefit cheques.

All the parasitic providers using BT infrastructure will not of had to invest anything in the infrastructure at all so yes they can probably offer cheaper prices and higher speeds.

Whatever happened to Localism? The country is increasingly being run by fewer and larger organisations. service and value for money will head the same way as small business, extinct.

It is sad really in my view.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User slimj
(member) Wed 25-Feb-15 11:57:00
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kijoma:
I am sure of Vfast and other "non BT" providers had received a fraction of the state aid BT had then the capacity would be much higher.

All the parasitic providers using BT infrastructure will not of had to invest anything in the infrastructure at all so yes they can probably offer cheaper prices and higher speeds.

I am aware VFast have had grants to deploy wireless broadband in the local area. Not as much as BT in the grand scheme of things but still it's not all money invested by the company itself.

Unfortunately, without BDUK and other schemes many small villages would not likely see FTTC services at all. It would be unprofitable for BT to deploy in these locations IMO.

I do agree though that more money should go to the smaller companies for alternative types of broadband - but hey, I guess someone in parliament is getting a nice backhander from BT for all that free money!
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Wed 25-Feb-15 13:12:00
Print Post

To quote " Unfortunately, without BDUK and other schemes many small villages would not likely see FTTC services at all. It would be unprofitable for BT to deploy in these locations IMO. "

This is a valid point, anybody who runs a business knows that some parts of their business make a profit, others do not. In the case of BT they make considerable profits as has been seen by the extent of over spend on TV rights etc..

So what is inferred from this is that BT , a very profitable multinational business, willr efuse to provide a service to a village if it is not profitable / viable on its own merits?

Do you think this is a fair use of public money, to ensure a profitable business does not take on small loss making areas ?

The story is always the same once Government interfere with a commercial marketplace, it results in corruption, market distortion and the expenditure of a [censored] load of tax payers money that could otherwise benefit important public services such as the NHS etc.

In some ways I envy Vfast with Kent County Council, as they appears to have , in the past at least, a sensible approach to resolving rural Broadband issues. Identify demand, put out to tender, choose best value for money solution.

In other counties such as West Sussex they instead become very hostile to operators in their county outside their chosen Broadband strategy, i.e. BT. This results in the widespread publication of mis-information, FUD and outright lies in order to discredit these service providers.

This was most noticeable when it came to applying for cash from the BDUK pot at the start of the process. Once it became about gaining maximum share of the cash then making the Broadband situation within the county look as bad as possible was the primary aim.

Areas with 96%+ take up of a commercially provided (non funded) service were declared as having "no broadband service" at all.

They are now spending an inordinate amount of the BDUK cash running FTTP to overbuild these areas and have already targetted other areas with full existing Superfast coverage with FTTC.

Other areas of the county without superfast and no service from an independent commercial provider such as Kijoma are being left out. This includes business parks .

In my view (and others) the BDUK process is corrupt and state aid rules have been massaged beyond recognition to push this all through and as you say there has to of been some serious "incentives" to allow a competitive framework to be watered down to a monopoly and still be ratified all the way up to the EU.

Once this is all complete, be prepared to see lots of smaller wholesale ISP's go to the wall as BT Retail "competes" by offering all those non state funded *cough* TV rights over its services for free while other ISP's have to pay to re-sell it.

Once it becomes just large providers, be prepared for the equivalent service level and value for money we receive from a 2 -3 party election process.

cheers

In reply to a post by slimj:
In reply to a post by kijoma:

I am aware VFast have had grants to deploy wireless broadband in the local area. Not as much as BT in the grand scheme of things but still it's not all money invested by the company itself.

Unfortunately, without BDUK and other schemes many small villages would not likely see FTTC services at all. It would be unprofitable for BT to deploy in these locations IMO.

I do agree though that more money should go to the smaller companies for alternative types of broadband - but hey, I guess someone in parliament is getting a nice backhander from BT for all that free money!

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User V10Diesel
(newbie) Sun 12-Apr-15 22:23:54
Print Post

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/4284686384.png[/IMG]

Glad your speeds have been sorted. Mine have just gotten worse. Its funny how when they 'check my connection' speeds immediately jump up to 20 odd and then five mins after the phone call has ended the speed crashes again.

I have cancelled my contract and sent a letter to my mp for what it'll be worth.

Edited by V10Diesel (Sun 12-Apr-15 22:27:49)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Apr-15 15:07:45
Print Post

sent a letter to my mp

At the moment, there is no such thing as an MP as Parliament has been prorogued in advance of the upcoming General Election. You have a former MP who may also be a candidate.

As per the constitutional convention, ministers remain ministers until a new government is formed, though they currently have little ability to act other than in emergencies or situations that are time-pressured.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to