User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dexion8
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 10:34:43
Print Post

service in newcastle

[link to this post]

there is a broadband wifi service in newcastle upon tyne and we are considering it. anyone have any experience of this in terms of reliability etc - we are about 8 miles from the transmitter and there are some buildings close by?

they want £350 for a site survey which you must pay if they deem it will work but then refuse to guarantee the bandwidth that you have contracted for!

thanks in anticipation
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 13:03:17
Print Post

Re: service in newcastle

[re: dexion8] [link to this post]

What speed will they guarantee then?

Which provider is it? WiFi normally implies the short range stuff, you are talking of something that sounds more like WiMAX and this can give very difference performance parameters.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dexion8
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:08:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

sorry, i should have said 'wireless broadband' not wifi!

i believe the provider is Livewave and the distance between their mast and the client can be 'up to 25 miles'. They offer 20mb down / 10 up for £75 / month, or 20/20 @ £110, 30/30 @ £175 or 40/40 @ £225, all subject to installation of £350.00. initial soundings suggest that we could only get the 20/10 service.

the service is marketed by re sellers who typically have lots of clauses in their contracts to ensure they get paid irrespective of actual service levels that are realised so some feedback or general comments about the product as a whole in terms of reliability would be much appreciated.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(member) Tue 27-Nov-12 17:38:55
Print Post

That looks horribly expensive: at least twice the sort of pricing I would expect for Fixed Wireless. ISPReview have the most up to date list of (local) providers I know. Pricing does depend on the local market, especially if the service is business-orientated.

I've a service around 5 miles from a transmitter which is around 12Mbps symmetrical (as an example my WISP's base charge is £13pm (£33 for a 25Mbps symmetrical service) both 40GB monthly use/up to £170 install without or £190 with the required cable router) and consistently manage above 75% of that theoretical speed both up and down, and reliability comparable with ADSL, but it does depend on the line of sight and the usage of the others in your sector, so I'd always advise checking with another local user if you can find one (or can the reseller provide some references you can speak to?). You normally don't have the sort of consumer protection you get with ADSL i.e. ombudsman or even Ofcom rules as it's unregulated so need to be a bit wary as providers have in the past come and gone - does the service for instance have any local authority contracts which might indicate a bit of stability for the business. Watch out for FUP, usage limits and the minimum term (and even rolling contracts).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Tue 27-Nov-12 18:17:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 21:10:30
Print Post

When their launch blog in 2010, says site will be live soon, and in 2012 it still says under construction I would normally never buy anything, even if it was just £4.95

I've seen an install fee of £295, is the cost of the survey part of this, or on top of it.

WIth line of sight they can be very reliable these types of services, but you cannot be sure of speeds until connected. How important is a service that can offer 10 Mbps to you now? Could you struggle on with current service, until such time as your local authority gets its broadband project delivering, or are you so remote that even that is unlikely to help you.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Nov-12 21:54:08
Print Post

This is targeted at businesses so not far off the mark.

Is there a residential service?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Nov-12 22:59:58
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

The ex VAT suggests business target, but plenty of stuff suggesting that its both.

http://www.newtonandbywell.org/broadband-scheme.php
http://blog.wildcard.net.uk/2012/06/livewave-expands... - residential package info in a few weeks

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Dec-12 23:08:45
Print Post

wow that is expensive, the company I am with did not charge for a site survey and only charged for installation and that was £120.

I pay £29 for 10 Mb/s, but it is unlimited, I could go down to 5 and pay £18 or to 2 and pay £15.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User lee_wildcard
(newbie) Fri 19-Apr-13 21:52:34
Print Post

Hi all,

Wish I could have responded to this earlier but just noticed it on a Google search, in particular in relation to install fees should the service not be achievable. We operate the LiveWave Broadband service which primarily provides business fixed wireless broadband access in areas of Tyne and Wear and Northumberland suffering for poor speeds using traditional broadband services.

You are quite correct - the business service is provided primarily through a network of local IT/comms providers - however in regards to the installation fee, following a survey, if the service is not achievable you should not be charged an installation fee (we don't charge our resellers anything in this scenario). If this is occurring PM me and let me know which reseller you are dealing with and I will discuss this.

The residential service is being rolled out mainly in Northumberland (at present) to pockets of villages not being targeted by BT through their BDUK pot of money! This service is only available directly from ourselves at a residential price point.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Lee.

Edited by lee_wildcard (Fri 19-Apr-13 21:56:18)

Print Thread

Jump to