User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Thu 07-Feb-13 12:54:11
Print Post

Benefits of BT Wifi?

[link to this post]

I am currently thinking of switching my broadband to BT at my small business office and some of the impetus is bundled access to the national BT Wifi network which apparently has 4 million or so access points. I don't know much about this - I'm assuming this is an aggregation of the BT Openzone network and BT Fon access points.

I recently discovered that I had access to BT Openzone as part of my T-Mobile (sorry, EE) mobile phone service, but not the BT Fon part (please correct me if I am wrong). I have yet to use an Openzone connection as they are so few and far between according to the provided T-Mobile app that shows where I can connect.

So my question is - is the full-monty BT Wifi network any good?
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 07-Feb-13 19:31:22
Print Post

Re: Benefits of BT Wifi?

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

yes it works,
they can also be accessed if you have a fon router sharing home/office broadband.

the bt site only goes to postcode granularity so it you know where you might use it, check locally first. (see if btwifi with fon appears on any device you might use in that location)
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Sat 09-Feb-13 09:22:26
Print Post

Thanks - can someone confirm that the BT Openzone access I have through T-Mobile is a subset of the overall BT Wifi network? In other words there is value in me switching to BT to gain access to a much wider wifi network?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User chrigurndevon
(learned) Sat 09-Feb-13 09:49:55
Print Post

The BT WIFI/FON service was one of the reasons I switched to BT. I travel a lot for work and find it useful. I use an iphone and BT have released a small app which speeds of the process of connecting to a hotspot. It has widespread coverage because all new BT customers are opted in to the service when they receive their Home Hub 3 router, which automatically creates a BT FON hotspot. You don't have to use a BT router though if you don't want to share any bandwidth with strangers.

Forgot to add that you need to be a BT broadband customer to use the BT FON service for free.

Edited by chrigurndevon (Sat 09-Feb-13 09:52:01)

Print Thread

Jump to