User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hoth
(learned) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:26:20
Print Post

Boundless Communications - Reasonable pricing ?

[link to this post]

Dear All,

I have moved to a semi rural area in Lancashire because of work. My local BT offers a broadband speed of around 5 Mbit max, although the bt website is saying that my exchange may be upgraded to fibre by end 2014. I have 60Mbit+ at work and can VPN in to use this, although this does have limitations.

There is a rural wireless broad band provider in this area called Boundless. They don't have a up to date price less on their website but an old flier is available at :-

http://www.boundlesscomms.com/images/BuckshawXmas201...

I have rang them up. They want £175 installation charge with £39.99 for 24 months contract for 20Mbit. They are not offering any discounts or incentives. It appears to me this price is a total rip off but I would like to ask others views on this provider and this price.

Thanks
Hoth
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:36:23
Print Post

Re: Boundless Communications - Reasonable pricing ?

[re: Hoth] [link to this post]

£175 for a professional install isn't bad, bit steep if they just send you the stuff in the post.

Xmas 2011 was a better time to buy ! http://www.vfast.co.uk/ulcombe/ isn't dissilmilar per month - £36.99 for 24M

http://www.kijoma.net/tiki-view_articles.php is another comparison

The tariffs are often localised to recover the specific costs serving an area.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Hoth
(learned) Sun 31-Mar-13 13:47:16
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

My worry is more the 24 month contract - A typical BT infinity 18 month contract is around £23 - £26 per month, and this technology in my area may just be around the corner.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 31-Mar-13 14:31:43
Print Post

need to study terms & conditions to see what happens if you have to exit. The end of 2014 is more than 18 months away and may slip, depends how big an issue your current 5M option is.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Lepus
(newbie) Wed 09-Jul-14 12:20:55
Print Post

After an appalling experience with Tooway Satellite paying similar installation fees and £80 per month I switched to Boundless in East Lancashire. The speed, consistency of service and support with my EE Signalbox were excellent and I've had 20MB truly unlimited broadband at half the cost at £39. This service is probably expensive if you have access to BT Infinity or similar but I work from home and have less than 750KB's available on telephone broadband so its been a godsend for me.

Highly recommended.

Aidan
Standard User phoneless
(newbie) Sat 25-Oct-14 15:51:11
Print Post

[re: Lepus] [link to this post]

BEWARE OF BOUNDLESS COMMUNICATIONS COMPETENCE & SERVICE; We have had dreadful service & support from Boundless communications. We used Boundless for our business in Longridge, Lancashire, it was disastrous. Constant lost calls, continual complaints to Boundless regarding poor quality calls & service, & complaints from our customers who could not reach us or were cut off mid-call. Eventually we gave up & terminated the service at which point they sent a final invoice with various spurious charges which we refused to Pay. They did finally admit their VOIP fibre to the mast system could not deliver a consistent reliable service to our location.
We still persevered with our home phone service as our rural area has no decent broadband via landline services. The broadband does work most of the time. The phone service is unreliable. Numerous times we have lost the phone service completely. If this happens on a friday afternoon as it has on more than one occasion no-one from Boundless is available, they use an independent Nottingham based call centre service who are unable to contact boundless themselves until Monday morning. They invariably say they will "raise a ticket & someone will call" but fail to advise that they cannot contact Boundless directly until office hours the next working day & have no technical help available over the phone or online as they are a call centre & no Boundless staff are available or contactable from the Nottingham Office. We use the phone 7 days a week, not between 9 & 5 Monday to Friday This week we have had no service since Tuesday, today we can call out but cannot receive calls. We will now terminate our home phone service & find a more reliable provider. Be warned Boundless may leave you Phoneless
Standard User chets769
(newbie) Thu 21-May-15 10:37:14
Print Post

[re: phoneless] [link to this post]

I can confirm that things have got no better with Boundless, the customer service is shocking I have had to call them today for the third time just simply to get a response. As for the charges well they seem happy to rip off members of the rural community that unfortunately have very few choices in terms of which internet service they use.

During my conversation today i asked if they would give me the price for having the signal bounced to my office in the garden. The quote was over £400 same job 2013 £195 plus vat.
I also asked about increasing the speed obviously at an extra cost which i totally accept, only to be told that it wasn't possible this left me wondering why my neighbors dish 10m away from mine was fine.

Unless you absolutely have to use them i would consider going somewhere else. Its very disappointing to see a small business that I was happy to try when they first setup has consistently delivered such a poor service. Had this weeks experience been a one off I wouldn't have bothered posting but its now happened too many times.
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Fri 22-May-15 10:11:58
Print Post

[re: chets769] [link to this post]

Wow, this is a simple bridge link to your office in the garden?

Over £400! , damn i feel so cheap all of a sudden laugh

bill

In reply to a post by chets769:
i asked if they would give me the price for having the signal bounced to my office in the garden. The quote was over £400 same job 2013 £195 plus vat.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User gah789
(regular) Sun 24-May-15 07:56:39
Print Post

[re: chets769] [link to this post]

Do the extension yourself. It is a trivial job requiring 2 Ubiquiti NanoStation Locos (cost ~ £55 each), a couple of mounting brackets (use the NanoBracket) and 4 ethernet cables of suitable lengths. Time required is 30-60 mins.

In effect they are asking for about £250 for their experience in configuring the link, which is also a very basic task. All you really need to know is that the bridge should (surprisingly) operate in bridge mode. There is plenty of guidance and help on the Ubiquiti forum. Look for information on point-to-point (PtP) bridges.
  Print Thread

Jump to