User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 19:36:38
Print Post

Experiences with North West Electronics

[link to this post]

Hi all. There is very little up to date information on North west Electronics and their Bluebox Broadband. This is a wimax provider in Northern Ireland.
I thought I would help out others and keep a log of how things go with my (hopeful) installation. I say hopeful as they have to come out to the house to check if I have line of sight to the mast.
Background is, I live just outside of a major town and am at the end of a very long line. Talktalk are able to provide 0.5mb on ADSL2. The cabinet i'm connected to has been upgraded for fibre but that is still 4 miles away so fibre is not available, and is unlikely to be for the foreseeable.
With 5 people in the house BB can grind to a halt if more than 1 person is trying to do anything. Wimax hasn't been available in my particular area but has became available recently. My only other option was a DCHSPDA mobile on Threes One plan, set up a hotspot and use a wireless repeater to widen the signal. I currently use my own hotspot to download big files and updates so know this is a viable option.

I spoke to Sean at NWE last week to clarify the details and their Next Gen 50/10 product may be available to me. Installation would be 12 weeks due to demand. I enquired about paying extra for installation to shorten that time and if paying the years subscription in advance, shortened the wait to 2-3 weeks. I sent in the application last week and rang today to confirm the had received it. They confirmed receipt and said I should have received a confirmation email. As i'm on Hotmail it may have been gobbled up by the junk filter, and a fresh one was sent and received before the end of the call. Hoping for an install date next week with fingers and toes crossed I can actually get the faster broadband.

To be continued....
Standard User fabyon
(committed) Sun 27-Oct-13 22:23:06
Print Post

Re: Experiences with North West Electronics

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

I'm looking forward to reading your updates. Good-luck with the installation.

Sky Broadband
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-13 19:31:58
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

Really hoping it goes ahead in the next week. With everyone off this week for halloween the internet in my house is pointless. Really hard to get independant info considering how busy they are. Maybe a good sign of few problems. One guy on Boards.ie had showed his speedtest.net result and was getting 10.55/2.09 on the next gen 10/2 package with a ping of 10ms. He doesn't mention how far he is from the transmitter though.

Are you thinking of the same thing?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:49:32
Print Post

I had a few friends using it a while back in the Donegal area who had nothing but praise for it.

This was back a good few years ago.

Eager to hear how it goes... As it is available around my parents area and they are eager to get rid of their landline.

Virgin Media 30Mbps
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Fri 01-Nov-13 21:35:04
Print Post

Did have hopes of the installation this week, but it did not materialise. I rang to check on progress but was told that they are looking at 4 weeks for the faster install, and not the 2-3 weeks I was informed by sales.

Hopefully this is not the shape of things to come and is more down to me being extremely impatient that i'm slightly irked!
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 21:27:56
Print Post

After waiting patiently for another couple of weeks and hearing nothing, I decided to ring today. I have now been told that it is not in fact available in my area but there are ongoing works and it may be available within the 12 weeks. Sorry, but I think i'll have to look to 3g which I know is available now and put up with the massive variances in that. I currently use my phone as a hotspot for large updates and files so its definately an option, coupled with the fact talktalk are now doing their phone and basic broadband for £13 per month, it'll do as a backup.
If there's any more updates in the future, or anyone else has experiences, feel free to post.
Standard User Greeksville
(newbie) Mon 16-Dec-13 11:32:31
Print Post

I have been using northwest blue box service for around 6 months now.
I changed from eircom as it was about half the price as I did not need to pay line rental.
This was the main reason for going with them,

At the application stage I was told it would take at least 12 weeks, and I was given the option to pay an extra 90 euro to get it fast tracked which I did.

I kept on their backs which helped as I had heard complaints about late installs.

Originally I got the 50mb service, as I'm into gaming.

The average speed which I got was about 10mb off peak times. (Not very good)
Don't think I ever say it above 15mb

It was still difficult to play games as I could not set up a static ip address due to their settings. To get a static IP address I needed to get them to set it up at an extra charge of 5 euro / month (crazy) - should be free.

To keep the costs down I reduced my package to the 10mb service.

Sometimes its ok, but if it is windy, raining or on peak time the bandwidth drops dramatically. when I did some speed test on a Sunday afternoon, I was only getting between 0.25mb and 0.50mb.
This moved up to 5mb later on in the day.

I think one of the big issues with this company, is that, the more customers who move to them, then the slower the connection gets for everyone else on the service,

I went to school with one of the tech guys who works there and he says that they are working on upgrading the service at present, but that could be 6 months down the line.

This service is a better option if you live of the main line and have poor options from cable providers.
Standard User blenkar
(newbie) Sat 21-Dec-13 19:11:25
Print Post

Re: Experiences with NWE ~HELL IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG!

I have been with this company for almost two years now and if there was any other alternative where I live near Dunamore in Co. Tyrone I would take it. Because I live at the end of a BT line with the old cabeling I could never have dependable broadband because it was eaten into whenever other usuers were on the line so I was relly pleased to hear NWT were putting up their broadband on a mast on Sliev Gullion mountain in Londonderry a few miles away.

When the service is operating it is mostly fine. The problem is if something goes wrong and then you find you have to deal with a gangster, lying call center with what seems probably to be only three operators who take turns to be on duty. Very often you can spend hours on the telephone waiting in a queu, then you are at last told that you are next in line you wait ten or fifteen minutes and then they cut you off and you have to phone again.

If you are lucky enough to get through they will never admit there is a problem their end and tell you they will send you an email and your answer to the email will be dealth with within 24 hours by an engineer. The email asks you to submit the results of a speed test which you do, wait 24 hours and nothing happens, this is because the engineers never read the emails unless you have phoned at least three of four times to complain.

Then after again going through the hell of trying to get through you are told an engineer will be coming out to you the next day, wait all day and he does not show up. Then you phone again and they say "O we just spoke to the engineer, he got you email late and says the problem is their end and he will fix it. "

End of the next day you phone up to ask why it has not been fixed and start the whole process of waiting in queu and being cut off again and again. I believe that they can see the number calling and only speak to new complaints until they run out of them before answering you.

When they close they just leave the phone off the hook so that it is permanently giving an engaged tone to pretend they are there.

In the end you just despair trying perhaps to run a website with low fluctuating broadband that lasts a week or ten days with no idea when your problem will be resolved.

This company has zero accountability, you cannot talk to management because there is only one phone number answered by a robot. I would not touch them with a bargepole unless you have no other option.
Standard User blenkar
(newbie) Sat 28-Dec-13 21:56:14
Print Post

Re: Experiences with NWE ~HELL IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG!

[re: blenkar] [link to this post]

I received this answer to my post by email only to find that it was deleted when I returned to the site???

StJohnston replied to your post at the site: .
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/wirelessbb/t/429128...

I joined this forum in desperation trying to find like minded souls who are having the same problems I'm having with North West Electronics. Today is Christmas day ,and I' m writing this on my mobile phone because NWE flagship hi speed service is down YET AGAIN. It has been so unreliable lately - and I mean much more unreliable than normal - it's been going off air for hours on end every few days these past two or three months. If it happens on weekends or holidays (like today) I expect it will be down for a few days now. Recently - when it has been working- the signal drops off every ten minutes or so and comes back on again.
I have been getting the same nonsensical answers from their " technical support" which is a complete farce. "Yes, we're aware there have been some issues in that area alright. Our engineers are working on it." As the previous poster mentioned, they treat callers with contempt, disregard the fact that we are paying 25 every month for this service which is basically Scott McClelland (owner of NWE) taking money under false pretences. Cynical, uncaring and above reproach. I heard him not too long ago on Highland Radio crowing about the wonderful service his company is providing for the people of Donegal who - as he rightly stated - don't have any other means of getting broadband. Eircom don't have a broadband enabled exchange i n places like St Johnston, Culdaff and a few other well populated regions of Donegal. How I wish some of the local radio stations would get him back on air to answer calls from his customers who he is blatantly cheating every month. Its outrageous going into 2014 that this charletan is the only alternative for people in rural areas who want to get broadband. It's high time some politicians took this matter up.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Dec-13 03:52:23
Print Post

Re: Experiences with NWE

[re: blenkar] [link to this post]

Perhaps it was considered libellous of a named individual?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to