User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 01-Nov-13 09:20:05
Print Post

Made the right choice

[link to this post]

I have now been using Allpay point to point wireless service for around 18 months now and I think i made the right choice compared to if i waited for FTTC.

Apart from the few teething problems at the start, i have not had any other problems, the speed is mostly constant, sure now and again it will drop a bit, but that is mainly in the day time when it is really busy, but it normally drops just below 10Mb/s. I pay for 10 and normally get 12 anyway.

Being a small local company, customer support is not far away, ok being only available in office hours is a bit of minus, but the network is monitored all the time so if there is a problem it is fixed pretty quick, so I have been told, not that I have noticed any problems.

I pay £29 a month for my 10Mb/s broadband, that don't include a phone line as I don't need one and I have not got one, it may seem a lot for just 10Mb/s, but compared to what I had before on ADSL it works out cheaper and over twice as fast.

Now a couple of days back I was over at a mates place looking at FTTC cabinet prices and services for him and his family and we came up with these prices.

Bt £38.55
plusnet £34.49
TalkTalk. simply £27.90
Sky £35.40
EE 34.75

We was looking at the cheapest option with unlimited use, not bothered about add ons or phone packages. the cheapest is Talk Talk with their Simply broadband. For him, going for FTTC may be worth the extra cost as according to the checks he can get 60Mb/s and with a family that is far better than the 5 he gets with ADSL.

Now for me, according to the checks i could get 30Mb/s on FTTc, but my next door neighbour is just getting over 20 with BT. I really don't think it is worth the extra cost to get another 20Mb/s and to be honest of all those companies listed above, I don't really want to give any of them my money.

I have still got another 6 months on my contract and I have no plans to change to FTTC, that don't mean I never will, things can change, I could move, allpay could stop providing the service, I hope not, because a lot of people would be screwed since they cover a large part of Herefordshire that will never get FTTC and also have naff ADSL.

i also don't get any filtering because it is a small ISP, they don't have the same problems as the larger ISPs do with bowing down to block torrent sites or any other sites.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Nov-13 18:08:41
Print Post

Re: Made the right choice

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Nice little write up there.

Good to see Allpay is still working out well for you. I'm sure there will always be a place for fixed wireless as many simply don't want/need a land line or want to suffer BT/TalkTalk support and lead time for a fix when the line goes wrong.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Nov-13 08:50:31
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

The place for it really are places where Bt is not going bother with, out in the sticks. I must admit I did go for Allpay because I wanted to get away from the BT network.

Had problems yesterday morning, first time for a long time, I think it was something to do with the winds as there was something happening with the Cathedral which is where the access point is. it was back working in 20 mins, mind you that was only from when I noticed it not working.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Nov-13 12:24:19
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

How does YouTube 1080p ~5Mbps VBR stream on your Allpay connection? These days YouTube doesn't seem to buffer the whole video so pausing and allowing the video to buffer completely to cache doesn't work any more...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Nov-13 08:59:43
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

From what i have used of You tube, i have had no problems, but the stuff I watch on you tube are not normally in HD anyway.

Adrian

Print Thread

Jump to