User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 02-Aug-14 15:20:31
Print Post

Relish

[link to this post]

Been doing some testing with this today. Down runs between approx 28 and 38 with burts as high as 51. Up is 1.8 to 3.2 with bursts up to 4.8. Quite impressive really. Certainly is in an area where a wired service maxes out at under 3 up.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Aug-14 22:12:38
Print Post

Re: Relish

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Can concur that fits in with what we see from speed test users

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Fri 15-Aug-14 18:56:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The big fail on this service has now made itself known and for many it will be a show stopper. It uses CGNAT and since this makes port forwarding impossible it is therefore about as useful as a chocolate teapot for anyone who needs inbound access. Unfortunately this is not made clear anywhere on their web site. Personally, I'd count this as misselling.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Tue 19-Aug-14 10:00:03
Print Post

I have been using a reseller of this service since October 2013 & it's been just about perfect. I seem to have a stick ip & port forwarding is not a problem for me.
IP phones & IP cams are reachable via the wan side without dyndns. Ports are forwarded.

Although, it is a reseller.

Huawei B222s-42 connected to ASUS RT-AC68U
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3141683986
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Aug-14 22:51:10
Print Post

Interesting to know. But that's the same as any other 'mobile' broadband service. Relish however have reasonable prices, higher speeds, and 'unlimited' usage. So win win for those in central London that need faster speeds than their wet bit of BT string can deliver.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Aug-14 12:22:52
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Have had it confirmed, waiting to find out if same on business side.

I think for the majority it is not a big thing, but some will not like it. If it was me so long as the heavy load streaming/gaming works on it, an old ADSL2+ line can cope with the slower CGNET sensitive stuff (not tried but thinking VPN/SSH type stuff)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ConfusedDaze
(newbie) Mon 08-Sep-14 03:06:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Had it a few days now.

Speeds when working are good (40mbit ish with a bit higher burst).

However the routers supplied (GemTek) are flakey at best.

Customer support seems a bit awol.

I'm on business with static IP so in theory CGNAT should be disabled but I'm getting weird upload errors every now and again (connection simply times out then works magically on a second or third try - all router/pc firewalls disabled for testing).

Also connection being wireless is a bit patchy, can drop to half speed at a whim and the router seems to reboot itself or simply freeze up every now and again.

Having said that, 40mbit is better than 9mbit, so we'll see.

Thanks
ConfusedDaze
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Sep-14 03:26:16
Print Post

[re: ConfusedDaze] [link to this post]

You've had it a few days only and the router is crashing! That is dreadful.

My router has 3700 hours of uptime which is 154 days or around 5 months. That's just a sky hub, default provided router by Sky, so nothing fancy. I have 20 devices connecting to it. My homehub has prob got the same uptime too. I expect this level of uptime from a router, it shouldn't need touching or thinking about.

Not being able to hold a couple of days uptime without it crashing. That would frankly be a huge deal breaker for me. Over time the little niggles bother you more. I would get them to send a replacement it may just be faulty.

EDIT: the issues with the upload may indicate faulty router as well.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 08-Sep-14 03:27:33)

Standard User ConfusedDaze
(newbie) Tue 09-Sep-14 00:49:25
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

ukhardy - two separate routers now . . .

I'm guessing not a lot of time has been spent on Band 42 routers as its quite a niche market.

The Huawei I am using now (B593) is slightly better than the GemTek that they shipped.

Also I'm pretty sure that this CGNAT setup can't be fully turned off, need to read more about CGNAT to see if they're still passing data through their implementation to reach my static IP on the router not sure yet.

But in central Westminster with no FTTP/FTTC implementation and 10-12mbit from DSL and no Virgin, 40mbit is a god send even if the PING and lag is noticeable.

Thanks
ConfusedDaze
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Sep-14 01:05:20
Print Post

[re: ConfusedDaze] [link to this post]

I couldn't put up with that unreliability, if I couldn't manually buy my own equipment that was flawless I would leave. I understand the speed boost is nice and I guess that over rides the negatives.

12Mbps isn't a bad speed though for most things. My ADSL BT line was only 8Mbps and I got around 700 kb/s on that. I could still watch 1080p youtube, Netflix at 5800kbps quality (Super HD quality), online game without issue etc and that was with a few others browsing on iPads etc. I could even torrent at 600 - 700kb/s speeds and also stream a Youtube video (Not HD) without QOS setup on the HomeHub (it didn't support it) and no buffering. Could you do all of that with the old line? If not I'd suspect congestion from the old ISP as well playing a factor.

I think the idea of Relish is brilliant. I do worry however how sustainable the speeds are. I used to get 60Mbps speeds with EE 4G and now that takeup is high I often see 20Mbps. They don't really have control over this kind of slowdown. I wonder do they use all 4G networks or just the one?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to