User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Fri 13-Feb-15 16:41:41
Print Post

Anybody used "Clear Picture Broadband"

[link to this post]

Hi,
Has anybody had any experience of a company "ClearPicture" who are now offering Wireless broadband in Kent. I'm currently with vFast(who are very good) but just had an advertising leaflet dropped through the door from Clear Picture for wireless broadband. Looking at their website shows two unlimited packages which on the face of it are cheaper than vFast. I would consider moving but havent heard anything about them. Wouldn't want to move if they have poor quality service.

Cheers
John
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 14-Feb-15 12:25:21
Print Post

Re: Anybody used "Clear Picture Broadband"

[re: ModemMan] [link to this post]

http://www.clear-picture.co.uk/broadband/home-broadb...

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 16-Feb-15 08:53:33
Print Post

I believe they probably just work with VFast, so they're likely to be just a reseller (correct me if I am wrong).

VFast Wireless Broadband.
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Mon 16-Feb-15 11:03:10
Print Post

hi,

They appear to have been around since 2008 (well the main company has), looks to be quite small but bouyant smile , companycheck website doesn't show anything spectacular.

I would however be wary of any company offering "unlimited" without a cleap AuP/FuP as there is no such thing in reality.

The technology available today is good and easily accessible , the differentiating factor will always be competence with utilising it. Putting up Wireless infrastructure is relatively easy, doing it properly so it performs requires a lot more experience and technical knowledge.

If you are already using Vfast then i would be cautions in jumping ship , Vfast is a much more secure bet, with long term proven ability and financial status.

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:44:51
Print Post

[re: slimj] [link to this post]

Yes thats the impression I got from looking at their website especially as they are offering Sky TV. If they are reselling Sky my thoughts were they are just reselling Vfast.
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Mon 16-Feb-15 13:54:21
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit it struck me strange there was no mention of any FUP in the T&C's. Mind you having said that, if I remember correctly in the early days Vfast didnt have anything either and last time I checked they only refer to the new packages, and the old packages (V-Home etc) are still not mentioned explicitly (so maybe they are truly unlimited!!). I agree though It was only a fleeting thought about moving ISP's, Vfast have been very good, I've got no complaints and happy with my old V-Home package so will be staying put.

Edited by ModemMan (Mon 16-Feb-15 14:24:02)

Standard User slimj
(member) Mon 16-Feb-15 16:38:03
Print Post

Where are you based? I'm in Thanet (Manston) and have been with VFast since forever. Never run in to any of the FUP data caps myself.

Service has generally been top notch but since around Christmas the connection in the evening (6pm - 11pm) has been barely usable for anything but browsing the web (lucky to get 5Mb/s), have had an engineer round and been told they're putting up another repeater that I will be moved on for faster speeds - However, this was over 1 month ago and since there has been no progress (as you can imagine, I'm not completely happy!!). Certainly not a Line of Sight issue as speeds are great during the day (25Mb/s+)!

As Manston is due to be enabled for FTTC and we're only 150m from the cabinet, it's starting to make little sense to stay with VFast. Faster speeds, lower and more stable latency, totally unlimited, for less than the £35 VFast charge for their max service. frown I really do hope VFast up their game and get the 50Mb/s+ service announced over 2 years ago rolled out.

Unfortunately, I'm moving house soon (but keeping the Manston property) and will probably rely on VFast for the next few years, so I'm hoping they can offer a better service at this new address! smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Fri 20-Feb-15 21:32:04
Print Post

Yes I'm in Woodnesborough near Sandwich and have line of sight to the transmitter in Ash. I've also been with Vfast for a good number of years and generally get a rock solid connection. In the early days used to get really fast speeds (up to 65Mb) but recent years its been what I expect on the v-Home package (15Mb / 2Mb) so can't complain as its supposedly unlimited download. I have considered moving to the newer Airfibre packages to get 24Mb but then would be on 100Gb download, not that i've ever come close to that. There have been some occasions where the connection seems a bit slow but as soon as i do a speed test it all speeds up and I get close to the expected speeds. I have BT infinity at the office and that has been very good which is just as well as BT customer service is awful. If we ever get FTTC available at home I would probably move to that as, like you say, its faster & cheaper than vfast. Did the engineer say that your current repeater is struggling withcapacity or do you think he didn't really have any answers and the "new repeater" was just to buy some time?
Standard User slimj
(member) Sat 21-Feb-15 11:09:36
Print Post

Hi,

Yes, the early days when I was moved over to the new network and running some tests for them I was getting 40mbit down, but as the network has got busier things have become slower and the latency quite sporadic (not great for gaming / Skype etc). It was superfast!

I'm surprised you're not already migrated over to the 24Mbit package as you're an existing subscriber but just pay your old rate?

Engineer and support didn't give me any reason but I am assuming it's capacity as everything is ok during the day but horrible in the evening - I guess all these streaming services are beginning to hurt the service! My antenna LOS was adjusted slightly (probably as they felt the need to look like they were doing something). I've sent countless speed tests showing the issue but the issues still remain. It has improved slightly in the past week though but still not what I would deem acceptable for something described as "Superfast" (defined as speeds in excess of 24 Mbps).

I'm connected to the repeater at Manston airport and I'm assuming that is going to be removed (due to the site being changed from an airport), hence the reason for new repeaters in the area. The wait is with the council at the moment apparently (this was 3 weeks ago!). What is worse is that I host a repeater on my roof yet the sense of urgency to resolve is terribly slow - I think I will chase them next week for a resolution, it's gone on long enough.

Connection is quite terrible this morning, was downloading at around 10mbit then died suddenly. A quick speed test shows this embarrassing result!!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4159778009

Edit: Aaaand back to fairly normal speeds an hour later! http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4159883093

At work we get around 75Mbit with 7ms pings on our FTTC connection (less than 100m from the cabinet), it's rock solid at any time!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by slimj (Sat 21-Feb-15 11:56:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Feb-15 12:20:49
Print Post

Try using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest the graphs can show how much the throughput varies for both upload and download

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to