User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Fri 20-Feb-15 17:58:46
Print Post

Fixed Wireless antennae and range etc.....

[link to this post]

Hello all, I will soon ( in a few months ) be hopefully getting fixed wireless broadband via LN Comms (wwww.ilovebroadband.co.uk) and have some technical queries about antennae etc...

I appear to be slightly outside the coverage area, although I have spoken to the team and they suggest it could be fine, I may just need a different antennae to account for distance?

In terms of the antenna I haven't been able to spot any local examples of them as most of the spots I drive through have fttc etc.... Any makes and models that are the usual suspects for this type of connection would be appreciated (so I can google images them!)

I'm guessing for a longer distance the antenna would be a dish-like device ?

Fingers crossed I can get a good signal where I am going (North Yorkshire, sproxton) as otherwise it's looking like 3mb BT rubbish maximum!

Cheers all.

Sky Unlimited
Standard User gah789
(regular) Sun 22-Feb-15 11:18:36
Print Post

Re: Fixed Wireless antennae and range etc.....

[re: mrvanx] [link to this post]

Almost all fixed wireless operators rely primarily upon Ubiquiti equipment, at least at the consumer end - see www.ubnt.com/products/ .

Consumer antennas are getting smaller. The standard ones used to be the NanoStation M5 for longer distances (up to 3-4 miles) between the property and the relay/repeater or the NanoStation Loco M5 for shorter distances (up to 2 miles). Both are shallow rectangular boxes. They have a relatively wide beamwidth - both horizontally and vertically - so they don't have to aligned very accurately and can operate well on the margins of the coverage zone.

Some WISPs are switching to the circular NanoBeam M5-16 or M5-19. These have more powerful wirelesses than the equivalently-priced NanoStations but the wireless is more directional so it is necessary to align them correctly.

If you are more than 4-5 miles from an antenna or have a partially obscured line of sight, then the WISP may install an antenna that is akin to a small satellite dish - usually the NanoBeam M5-300 or M5-400. At this range, the distinction between Point-to-Multi-Point (PtMP) equipment used for consumer equipment and Point-to-Point (PtP) used for businesses and dedicated links begins to break down.

Other manufacturers - Mikrotik, Cambium, Mimosa, etc - offer decent equipment but they tend to be more expensive than Ubiquiti and are more likely to be used for PtP links. The market is in flux at the moment because a variety of suppliers are introducing equipment that complies with the 803.11ac wireless standard (the older stuff is all 803.11n) in order to offer faster speeds.

Each supplier has a proprietary implementation of the standard so it is usually not possible to mix and match equipment at the two ends of a link. The base cost of consumer equipment is about £120 (incl VAT) plus installation, so no WISP is going to offer much choice unless you are willing to pay for an upgrade.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 22-Feb-15 13:49:17
Print Post

Antennae - they are found on bugs and insects

Antennas - used to transmit and receive radio signals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sun 22-Feb-15 13:56:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Pointless post - a post whereby the only purpose is to correct grammar, spelling or some other superficial content that does not detract from the post intent.

In reply to a post by MHC:

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User kijoma
(committed) Sun 22-Feb-15 14:05:57
Print Post

Hi,

There are dish type aerials for longer distances and also flat panels. We almost exclusively use flat panels and only have a few dishes at present.

Distance wise the primary considerations are obstructions in the way and aerial height / the curvature of the earth!

If they normally use say a 16dBi gained aerial device then there is plenty of scope to go up to 24dBi or even higher (although they get quite large above this).

the difference in range between 16 and 24 is significant with 8dB more signal. the Decibel is a logarithmic figure , for example 10dB is 10 times stronger , 7 dB is 5 times stronger , 3dB is double etc..

So without obstruction you have plenty of scope there smile

cheers

In reply to a post by mrvanx:
Hello all, I will soon ( in a few months ) be hopefully getting fixed wireless broadband via LN Comms (wwww.ilovebroadband.co.uk) and have some technical queries about antennae etc...

I appear to be slightly outside the coverage area, although I have spoken to the team and they suggest it could be fine, I may just need a different antennae to account for distance?

In terms of the antenna I haven't been able to spot any local examples of them as most of the spots I drive through have fttc etc.... Any makes and models that are the usual suspects for this type of connection would be appreciated (so I can google images them!)

I'm guessing for a longer distance the antenna would be a dish-like device ?

Fingers crossed I can get a good signal where I am going (North Yorkshire, sproxton) as otherwise it's looking like 3mb BT rubbish maximum!

Cheers all.

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE members
http://www.kijoma.net
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1975254274.png
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 22-Feb-15 14:59:12
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kijoma:
Pointless post - a post whereby the only purpose is to correct grammar, spelling or some other superficial content that does not detract from the post intent.

In reply to a post by MHC:

Your post is pointless.

My post correct a specific ERROR. A having purchased probably well in excess $400m of antennas and antenna related equipment in recent years I am in a very good position to comment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 23:05:48
Print Post

[re: kijoma] [link to this post]

Cheers for the numbers wink

Bit of a minefield this ANTENNAE business wink

Sky Unlimited
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 23:11:20
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, ive only managed to spot one property on my travels in the area which has anything I recognise as an antenna or aerial,

The one I spotted (in the Pickering Area) looks very similar to the Nanostation on the Ubiquiti website (thanks for the heads up on the branding as well).

I'm edging closer to the dates of moving and will ultimately have to see what the WISP in the area concludes about the signal strength etc...

Cheers.

Sky Unlimited
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Tue 24-Feb-15 23:26:51
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

My attention was focused on the topic of my question, and the topic of the forum. I am concerned with the technical aspects of this forum and not the correctness of how posts are typed up, being an engineer myself I am aware that technically minded individuals are not necessarily the best writers or typists and am more than willing to turn a blind eye to poor grammar, spelling etc...

I believe that posts such as yours, in this particular thread, are detrimental to the spirit of this forum and end up deterring users from making posts or asking questions rather than presenting what is mostly a welcoming and considerate community.

Many thanks for correcting my ERROR, I shall ensure it will not be repeated.

Irony fully recognised,

Best Regards,

Sky Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to