User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Wed 10-Jun-15 18:47:35
Print Post

LNComms / ILovebroadband - Anyone a user / has been a user??

[link to this post]

Hello all,
I'm finally in a position where I can start the ball rolling with these guys to get a connection sorted for the House we are buying in North Yorkshire.

Ive contacted them over the last few days and am expecting a call back to arrange it all etc...

Is anyone on here a customer of theirs or had any experience with them as I would be interested in hearing about how good they are etc...

Any comments on the connection quality would also be much appreciated.

I am a little let down right at the start of the process as the price for the 30Mbit service went up £10 overnight having been at £34.99 per month for the last six months or so (dammit!).

I plan to ditch BTs copper connection and use this if the property is within service range and use Sipgate basic VoIP instead of a landline.

Cheers in advance.

Sky Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jun-15 10:02:41
Print Post

Re: LNComms / ILovebroadband - Anyone a user / has been a us

[re: mrvanx] [link to this post]

http://tbb.st/142709954460584885196
http://tbb.st/139266028568077579736

A couple of speed tests from users I believe.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Tue 16-Jun-15 20:26:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr S!!

Ive got them coming to the new property tomorrow to do a site survey. Fingers crossed I can get a signal and decent connection from it as the thought of ~4Mbit (or around that region) is not great.....though livable i'm sure (NO!!!).

Fixed wireless 30Mbit via Ilovebroadband.co.uk (Soon Hopefully!)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Wed 17-Jun-15 18:06:59
Print Post

As I suspected its still a no go.

The guys couldnt get a signal at all, due to the surrounding terrain etc.... Though they did pick up a signal from a nearby other provider (Moorsweb??) so I will investigate.

@MrSaffron is there any info you are privvy to as to the status of Sproxton (specifically YO625EF) since the exchange (Helmsley) is fibre enabled but the lines are far too long for FTTC or even decent ADSL??

The superfast openreach checker suggest it has an ES (Exploring Solutions) status but nothing more than "keep checking regularly"?

Anything would be useful at this point. Cheers.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 22:30:32
Print Post

Email me postcode or else I will forget

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Jun-15 23:42:29
Print Post

MYHLM cabinet 1 is the one you are connected to and it is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.244662,-1.057109,3...

Which at 2.6km from the cabinet will explain the very low speed estimates

Address XYZ, YO62 5EF on Exchange HELMSLEY is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date

High
Low
High
Low

FTTC Range A (Clean) 7.4 3.7 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 6 1.9 1.2 0.5 -- Available

The postcode is spread out, some premises on the checkers show as no fibre available since the estimate is so low Openreach think it will not work.

As for exploring solutions, FTTrN, G.Fast or even FTTP are all options, but Exploring Solutions means waiting to find out what they can afford to deliver a solution, while ensuring value for money to the tax payer and that might be 2016, or it might be 2018 and beyond.

Standard User kijoma
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-15 08:44:46
Print Post

but Exploring Solutions means waiting to find out what they can afford to deliver a solution, while ensuring value for money to the tax payer and that might be 2016, or it might be 2018 and beyond.

If the op has a fixed wireless operator in the area then you may find the value for money bit is disregarded.

I could drive you around an area where Fibre has been run over miles of poles and underground. the underground sections have involved digging up roads and closing them for some days each time.

his is for an entirely FTTP solution that nobody there has asked for.

This in itself is not unusual , however when you factor in the end points of these runs vary from 2 remote properties , to a remote hamlet with 3 houses and a pub , all the way up to villages with between 6 and 20 properties in them each then you could seriously question the value for money of such expenditure?

The common factor is there is a measurable 40 Mbps per property fixed wireless network in the area, providing a Broadband and telephone service to ALL the properties covered by the above Fibre roll out. To add to this there are no leased lines involved so Openreach make no money from this network either.

There are villages with larger populations just "over the hill" and outside the coverage of the fixed wireless network who have been told there are no plans to roll out Fibre to them as yet.

If the BDUK process is meant to show value for money for tax payers revenue then it doesn't in West Sussex, it is a farce.

It maybe of course the council in "I love Broadband's" coverage area are sensibly taking into consideration their service and spending the money in areas where no such choice exists instead?

Other counties Kijoma serve in appear to be doing so at least.

cheers

Bill Lewis - MD
Kijoma Broadband
Fixed wireless ISP - ISPA/CISAS/RIPE member
Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Thu 18-Jun-15 21:12:28
Print Post

Thanks Mr S!

I spoke to the main contact for MoorsWeb yesterday and hopefully there is a solution for us short-term atleast.

The guys from ILoveBroadband.co.uk (Actually LN Communications) managed to get a "useable" signal from MoorsWeb's transmitter so with a bit of luck the guy from MoorsWeb will obtain the numbers they got and confirm the level of service we might get from him.

Its a non-profit community broadband setup and they offer 5,12 and 25mbit speeds but by the looks of it the 25mbit is off the cards due to my distance (Damn!).

Hopefully 12mbit is an option and I'll be happy with that since it is what I got in my old property (in the middle of York........still no FTTC available there!!!).

And, sorry to say this but, I will be able to rule out BT taking our money and use VoIP and other technologies to do what I want/need which I find a nice prospect.

If nothing else is available I will not be parting with our money for a BT line with much enthusiasm since, and please correct me if i'm wrong, we would be paying WAY above the odds for a sub-par service (~2-4mbit for the same region of cost as others get superfast for).

Cheers All, I will report back with our findings (hopefully it is useful to others in this position).

Standard User mrvanx
(committed) Fri 19-Jun-15 18:14:10
Print Post

Question for any experts (dB levels etc...)

Hello all,

I managed to get hold of the numbers found on the site survey, I believe the guys were using a Powerbeam (maybe a 300mm??) to do the sweep.

LN Comms signal, best they got was -86dB, not good enough?

For the other providers signal (MoorsWeb) they managed to get -78dB, useable?

Ive taken a look at the PowerBeam datasheet and the numbers look kind of OK for a semi-decent connection between 10 and 30mbit perhaps??? I realise it depends on the mode they are using etc...

Any opinions from the likes of Kojima or anyone else would be appreciated.

Stuck in a not-spot looking for solutions! smile

Edited by mrvanx (Fri 19-Jun-15 18:18:54)

Standard User gah789
(regular) Sat 20-Jun-15 11:29:58
Print Post

Re: Question for any experts (dB levels etc...)

You will definitely not be happy with a -86 dB connection. It will connect but the speed will be very erratic and often non-existent. Most customers would not be too happy with a -78 dB connection. On our system we aim for better than -75 dB which will normally connect at a raw speed of 56 or 78 Mbps duplex. Don't believe the raw numbers as actual UDP/TCP throughput is usually less than 40% of the raw capacity and it has be shared between uploads and downloads.

If the original survey used a Powerbeam (PBE) M5-300 then you can increase the gain by switching to a PBE M5-400 which is a better unit anyway and has an extra 3 dB of antenna gain (25 dB vs 22 dB). There is also a huge PBE M5-620 unit with 29 dB of antenna gain, which might make a large difference. It is much more expensive than the smaller PBE units so any WISP will expect you to pay the difference - see standard Ubiquiti suppliers for costs.

However, this assumes that you have an unobstructed line of sight to the relay. In fact you need more than that. The Fresnel zone, which has a radius of 1-10 m around the line of sight depend on the link distance, must also be largely clear. No level of antenna gain will help much if the reason for the poor signal is obstruction of a significant part of the Fresnel zone. In the UK - and elsewhere - trees obstructing the line of sight or Fresnel zone are the bane of every WISP's life.

Much depends on how much effort and money you are willing to put into finding a good location and suitable equipment for your connection. If you are expecting the WISP to install equipment and provide a guaranteed level of service, then they will be very conservative about what connections will work. If you are prepared to buy and install the antenna as well as take the risk on what you get, then you may find that the WISP is more willing to help out.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to