User comments on ISPs
  >> Wireless Broadband ISPs (not wireless ADSL routers)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ClaretMatt
(learned) Sun 03-Jul-16 09:17:44
Print Post

Considering Symmetris Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm considering one of my local Wireless ISP's (Symmetris) so I can do away with the hated BT line rental. Could I please ask everyone's experiences regarding gaming on these?

It's basically the primary reason for use, along with a bit of streaming.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Standard User mpellatt
(member) Tue 12-Jul-16 06:44:49
Print Post

Re: Considering Symmetris Broadband

[re: ClaretMatt] [link to this post]

Like so much when it comes to broadband, "it depends", but here's a fairly typical day from an Orbital/vFast business connection at 10Mbps symmetric, 50:1 contention (IIRC)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/d0f50579e07...
Standard User ClaretMatt
(learned) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:25:39
Print Post

[re: mpellatt] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for the reply .

I've got nothing to compare this to as yet so I'll do this test on my current FTTC connection to see how it compares.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gah789
(member) Tue 12-Jul-16 09:49:09
Print Post

Wireless ISPs tend to operate in locations and environments that have poor fixed line broadband and are remote/difficult to serve. Meeting the needs of gaming is low on their list of priorities, so don't expect too much. The inherent latency of wireless systems tends to be low - as the example illustrates - but they can easily become congested during peak periods. Hence, latency tends to have much greater variability than would be the case for any reasonable FTTC service. Most wireless operators will try to ensure that streaming works reasonably well because that is important to a large proportion of their customers.

If you have an FTTC connection, it would have to be truly awful to even contemplate a switch to a wireless service to get an improvement in gaming performance. As someone who runs a wireless system, we don't even contemplate trying to compete in areas with FTTC service.

Edited by gah789 (Tue 12-Jul-16 09:50:14)

Standard User TheEulerID
(experienced) Tue 12-Jul-16 11:24:55
Print Post

If you want consistent, low latency, wireless is not a great choice. It's inherently prone to local interference so you might well see good latency most of the time combined with intermittent instances of poor latency. Whether that causes problems or not does, of course, depend on what the broadband link is being used for.

The issue is rather different to that caused by "normal" contention on fixed links.

Of course this all depends on the exact implementation of the wireless network and your relationship to the infrastructure and any local wireless contention and interference issues. Only experience will tell. If you don't get tied up into a long term contract it might well be worth trying as at least you have the option to go back to FTTC (and might pick up a good deal as a "new" customer).

However, unless you have a very poor FTTC connection, then the performance will likely be worse. Whether it will be worse enough to be significant, only time will tell.
  Print Thread

Jump to