User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User peaks
(newbie) Tue 04-Jan-11 20:16:39
Print Post

FTTC from Zen

[link to this post]

Hey All,

Just a few questions, and before I ask them, I love Zen to bits - but I think it's time to review my ISP after several years.

So with that in mind, I am one such customer eagerly awaiting the FTTC for my area to go live (March '11), however, now I see that Zen are switching to a 12 month contract for FTTC. So firstly is this for new customers or existing or both?

If existing customers or both, my main draw for Zen was that I could leave if things went wrong or the service was degraded for whatever reason, but that hasn't happened. So I've stayed, even though admittedly it's not the best value for money.

So seeing as Fibre is coming along, I am contemplating trying out another ISP - another small niche ISP - but before I do - just want to be sure what it is exactly I am paying for?

UK Support? - Nice to have
Email - Unused
Newsgroups - No longer offered?

Am I missing anything?

Oh - and is the £75 Activation Charge applicable for regrades to the new service?

Thx for any replies.

Phil.
ISP Representative Gorskar
(isp) Tue 04-Jan-11 22:25:01
Print Post

Re: FTTC from Zen

[re: peaks] [link to this post]

The 12 Month contract is for both new and existing customers moving to FTTC.
Unfortunately BT Wholesale's minimum contract for the wholesale FTTC products is 12 months, so you wont find any ISP offering less than 12 month contracts for it. You are allowed to swap to a different FTTC product within the 12 month period though.

The £75+VAT charge applies both whether you are activating a new line, or swapping an existing ADSL line (this covers the cost of the BT engineer who needs to come out and install a new socket + the BT FTTC modem)

Its worth of course pointing out that as well as the UK support (by people who know what they are talking about) and other benefits there is also no traffic shaping/throttling applied on any Zen connection. Whether these things are worth it to you is a decision only you can make smile

====================================================
cool_James Sweet___________________________________________ cool
cool ZeN Internet Systems Development_________________________ cool
cool ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available. cool
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User peaks
(newbie) Wed 05-Jan-11 19:16:15
Print Post

[re: Gorskar] [link to this post]

OK - that clarifies things for me then - staying with Zen, since I know what I am getting and I doubt there is anywhere that can offer better support smile

Thanks James.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(regular) Wed 05-Jan-11 19:48:30
Print Post

[re: peaks] [link to this post]

I have FTTC with Zen and it's awesome!
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 05-Jan-11 22:04:47
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

One question though - where do you stand with a 'move' order within the 12 month term ?
(isp) Thu 06-Jan-11 11:23:09
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I'm just getting clarification from the Product Manager. Will let you know...

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(isp) Thu 06-Jan-11 15:59:43
Print Post

Hi, I've had a word with the Product manager now.

At present we don't have a proper house move service for Fibre broadband products. A move process is being worked on, but its very early stages, so I cant tell you any timescale or details of what the final process will be.

The Official line therefore presently is that moving house requires you to cancel the service at the old premises, and therefore pay for the remainder of the 12 month contract (as per the T & Cs). However if you do find yourself in the position of moving house within 12 months of the start of an FTTC contract I'd always say give us a ring, and see if we can help make the move of your broadband any easier.

Hope that answers your question.

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Thu 06-Jan-11 22:14:24
Print Post

Thanks for that - what it tells me at the moment is there is no point in even trying to get on FTTC before I move.

What happens after the 12 month term - I presume it becomes a 1 month service like ADSL of old?
Standard User jezster
(committed) Fri 21-Jan-11 14:40:02
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I had the BT version of FTTC and it was very poor in the evenings (more the backend network to be honest). In the end they couldn't give me the service I wanted and I managed to get a free exit from the contract.

I moved the connection to ZEN and the service has been rock solid. There is no change on the connectivity from the cabinet to my home, but I'm not using a Home Hub2 or BT's Internet pipes anymore. Very happy so far...
  Print Thread

Jump to