User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rbw91
(member) Sat 23-Apr-11 07:12:47
Print Post

Speed issue

[link to this post]

Hi, wonder if anyone can let me know if they are having any speed issues with Zen internet at the moment?

My line on their FTTC product should throughput at 31Mb according the the checker. Actual fastest speed since deployment in December is 23574 Kbps on 21st Feb yet yesterday and today my speeds are running at 5745 Kbps.

I dont mind a 22Mb service on a line capable of 31Mb but 6Mb seems very poor?

Anyone else having a similar experience with Zen FTTC at the moment?
Standard User MartinBen
(regular) Sun 24-Apr-11 19:47:06
Print Post

Re: Speed issue

[re: rbw91] [link to this post]

Well I'm still on "normal" broadband and my broadband went down just after midnight and came back up around 10am today.

Line speed has dropped through the floor however from around 2900kbps to under 500kbps so not very happy at all especially as I discovered Zen don't operate a 24/7 helpline - I can only assume this is to save money?

Going to see if speed gets better overnight but at moment my broadband is pretty much unusable especially as I need to work-from-home.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Apr-11 20:07:25
Print Post

[re: MartinBen] [link to this post]

You think with how much Zen charge for connections, the bandwidth would be ok.

o2 LLU
ROUTER:-DGN2000
Sync 17848D 1412U Annex A
Att:-35.0dB Down 17.4dB Up
SNR:-1.5dB Down 3.1dB Up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MartinBen
(regular) Sun 24-Apr-11 22:52:00
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
You think with how much Zen charge for connections, the bandwidth would be ok.

You'd think how much they charge they would have a 24/7 helpline !
Standard User rbw91
(member) Wed 27-Apr-11 09:02:43
Print Post

[re: MartinBen] [link to this post]

OK well this is strange. Been on to Zen Support who were very helpful as usual but no-one seems to know whats happening.

I can download on the BT Checker at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and it shows my line performing at 35744 Kbps capability on my FTTC line.

However I can only download from Zen's speedcheck site at 6Mb and from thinkbroadband.com speedchecker at 6Mb too.

Anyone have any idea why the BT check is showing my line at 100% capability yet all browsing is limited to 6Mb throughput?
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 27-Apr-11 09:32:09
Print Post

[re: rbw91] [link to this post]

Sounds like Zen may have the wrong BRAS profile set on radius for you.

If you havn't I'd give tech support a call and ask them to check.

What's it say in the customer portal for your line sync ?
Standard User rbw91
(member) Wed 27-Apr-11 20:00:51
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

Unfortunately the Zen site does not give line synch (that I could find) on FTTC deployments only IP Stream services.

I have already spoken to tech. Not sure if BRAS is incorrect thats a good point.

On a different note, however, Zen Support did mention to me that OR had done some work on my line on the 21st March 2011 which coincides with the drop in speeds. I went live on FTTC in December 2010 so this is work 3 months AFTER go live date so I know what the line should deliver now. I also have an ISP background from a sales perspective so whilst no engineer, I do know a bit about this....

Interestingly, I was earlier talking to a friend who has FTTC by a different SP and recently his speeds have suffered in the same fashion as mine and the dates of noticing it are broadly similar.

This means that work carried out in my LX potentially account for the same issue I am describing on another FTTC account down the road with a different ISP.

Points towards an OR wire missing in the Local Exchange maybe (its at this point that engineers are needed to provide an answer not someone who knows enough to "sound" knowledgeable).

Edited by rbw91 (Wed 27-Apr-11 20:01:56)

Print Thread

Jump to