User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 12:28:16
Print Post

Help - moving house soon and in a pickle

[link to this post]

Hi all smile

I will be relocating soon from Hastings to Somerset. At the moment I have a BT line for calls and use Zen as my ISP. I *was* going to keep it that way BUT BT want to charge me £136 to set up a new line in the new property (previous owners were with Talk Talk). I dont want to be paying that kinda money to BT when I will have 2 line rentals going for a few months.

I called Zen sales this morning and unf there is no line at all at the property so I either pay Zen £99 for setting one up or BT £136 to set one up frown frown frown

Do I have any other options or do I have to cut my losses and fork out £100 to get a new phone line?

I probably know the answer but I thought I'd just ask, am so out of touch these days smile
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Fri 06-May-11 13:08:14
Print Post

Re: Help - moving house soon and in a pickle

[re: Helan] [link to this post]

Is the £30 connection fee /18 month contract from BT still available?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 14:19:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Helan:
BT want to charge me £136 to set up a new line in the new property
They shouldn't!. The do a £30 Connection Offer at the moment; you have to agree to an 18 month contract for the phone line, but you wanted to stay with BT anyway, so that should not be an issue.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 06-May-11 14:21:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 14:23:43
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:

Hi,
Thanks for reply smile

When I phoned BT this morning she told me the charge to get a phone line in that property would be £136 due to having to have an "engineer" visit the property and do some work!! Now what work that is I'm unsure but as far as I was aware all they do is switch the line on at the exchange (but I could be wrong - was a long time ago now I was up on all this).
Standard User Helan
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 14:26:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
BT want to charge me £136 to set up a new line in the new property
They shouldn't!. The do a £30 Connection Offer at the moment; you have to agree to an 18 month contract for the phone line, but you wanted to stay with BT anyway, so that should not be an issue.

Hi smile

Thank you for the info smile

I am shocked she never even told me that!! All this does is make me want to sway away from them, have been a BT customer for over 20 years and although I asked "what is the best deal you can do for me" her only reply was £136 connection fee or I have to take out their Broadband for 18 months as well as a BT phone call package. Absolutely nothing about £30 connection fee with line rental for 18 months frown frown frown
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-11 16:57:19
Print Post

Plusnet used to do new line provide for £49 (I think) but you have to take broadband from them as well. Not sure it it's still available though.
Could try calling them 0845 140 0200 or 0114 2960200 (24/7)

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime

Edited by reserved (Fri 06-May-11 16:59:59)

Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 17:11:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ribble:

Hi,
Thanks for reply smile

When I phoned BT this morning she told me the charge to get a phone line in that property would be £136 due to having to have an "engineer" visit the property and do some work!! Now what work that is I'm unsure but as far as I was aware all they do is switch the line on at the exchange (but I could be wrong - was a long time ago now I was up on all this).

Hi Helen,

Where abouts in Somerset are you moving to?

According to the link XRaySpeX posted, an engineering visit is only required if there is a problem (i.e. damage) to the wiring or the socket.

One point to note on the £30 connection offier, BT state (on the link provided earlier) - "Minimum call commitment also applies you must make at least 10 chargeable or inclusive calls per month (30 calls per quarter). You'll need to pay a charge of £5.15 for every month (if you are billed monthly) or £15.45 for every quarter (if you're billed quarterly) in which you don't make these calls, as compensation for not making the minimum number of calls required."

Anyway, good luck with the move and BT. smile

Edit: Reworded.

Regards,

Stuart

Zen Pro - "Up to 20Mbit Broadband"

Edited by aquilla (Fri 06-May-11 17:19:09)

ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Fri 06-May-11 17:12:00
Print Post

I double checked with sales and the price is what you were quoted and they cn't budge from that as this is what BT Charge us.

You could try an LLU provider, i know this is steering you away from Zen, but if you want to save some costs for the installation it may be worth looking at.

Kindest Regards,

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-11 17:13:50
Print Post

[re: aquilla] [link to this post]

In the OP it says there is no line at the property!

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-May-11 17:22:51
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by reserved:
In the OP it says there is no line at the property!

I've just re-read that post. blush This line
(previous owners were with Talk Talk).
kind of suggested there was something at the new property.

Apologises to Helen if I misread the post. Blame it on the sunburn!

Regards,

Stuart

Zen Pro - "Up to 20Mbit Broadband"
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to