User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Tue 10-May-11 20:47:55
Print Post

Slow Speeds, contention?

[link to this post]

I've been noticing slow speeds so I ran a BT speed test:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2123 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Much slower than normal, and not the first time. I used the PlusNet exchange checker and my exchange is red for the first time, from 4 March 2011, with an ETA to be fixed by 2 April 2011, but hasn't been updated since the 11 March 2011.

What I'm seeing could be contention, but what can I do about it? Perhaps it's been fixed and the problem is elsewhere?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
AP

ZeN 8000 Pro
Draytek Vigor 2600G
Standard User tri_hard
(newbie) Tue 10-May-11 22:13:17
Print Post

Re: Slow Speeds, contention?

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

I think its 'just tonight' as my connection has gone to hell in a handbasket. I ended up with 128 upload at one point and a couple of router reboots would not login to the Zen server so i got the error username/password message.

Et voila, its now logged in and seems to be working.
Standard User Btcc22
(experienced) Wed 11-May-11 00:17:08
Print Post

[re: tri_hard] [link to this post]

Same problem here. Generally slow speeds and some sites just aren't loading at all yet seem perfectly fine from other locations.

Edit: Guess it's being caused by this. Seems to be mostly sites peering at Linx that aren't responding very well.

Edited by Btcc22 (Wed 11-May-11 00:21:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Wed 11-May-11 10:49:38
Print Post

[re: Btcc22] [link to this post]

Lol, I just ran a quick speed test and it seems my "up to 8MB" line is overperforming slightly:
Download Speed: 17343 kbps (2167.9 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 199 kbps (24.9 KB/sec )

Tried again and it seems it's back to normal:
Download Speed: 4976 kbps (622 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 228 kbps (28.5 KB/sec )

Ho hum.... :/

ZeN 8000 Pro
Draytek Vigor 2600G
Standard User Btcc22
(experienced) Wed 11-May-11 11:24:54
Print Post

Certain tests can at times be somewhat inaccurate. wink

Edited by Btcc22 (Wed 11-May-11 11:25:07)

ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Wed 11-May-11 15:49:11
Print Post

From our own internal testing - any java-based speedtest that runs in a browser will not provide consistently accurate results for download/upload throughput. Variables include the OS, browser, version of java, load on the server hosting the test, time of day...

A far more accurate and repeatable test if you're on a Zen connection is to connect one machine to the router via ethernet, switch off wireless, make sure no other downloads are running and start a download of a non-zero test file from http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ and note the download speed shown in the browser download dialogue box - for Zen connections this provides an accurate measurement of downstream throughput. Upstream is best tested in a similar way but uploading via ftp.

For non-Zen connections it would be best to contact the ISP the connection uses to see if they have similar test files hosted on their network.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to