User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TalkTalk1969
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 21:03:10
Print Post

Download Speeds - Peak Time

[link to this post]

I have been with Zen quite a few years now but notice my speed drops whenever i download anything during peak times, now sure i have read people claiming its a BT issue, i have emailed Zen and spoken to Zen on the phone and they say they do not have speed caps but there is some doubt in my mind as this never used to happen and i do not think my local exchange is better or worse than it used to be.

I give you an example, the download started at 188kbp/s, it was fine for several minutes then suddenly drops to a consistent 90.6kbp/s - That is suspiciously like speed capping as far as i am concerned.

Now the actual download site will officially play a part in all this but its just the way it dropped that raised my alarm bells, maybe its nothing but i intend to monitor this situation and try some tests to determine whether its BT or Zen or some other source.
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 21:31:00
Print Post

Re: Download Speeds - Peak Time

[re: TalkTalk1969] [link to this post]

Incidentally just so people know, i am not prone to complaining.

A short while back i suddenly without any reason lost my internet, i called Zen and we did all the usual tests, nothing seemed wrong, i bought a brand new router and the internet was still down, so on the Sunday Zen booked an engineers visit for Tuesday the following week, well guess what happened on Bank Holiday Monday, the internet suddenly came back, i had not done anything on my end and as already stated i had bought a new router and carried out all of the usual Zen tests with the master socket. It struck me that some BT engineer was working on Monday and fixed something, they planned to visit me on Tuesday and charge me a lot of money because they will have said to me there was no fault on the line.

Zen were not able to get an explanation off of BT for why a fault that had gone on for around five days was suddenly fixed.

Well my ThinkBroadband speed test says i was getting 800kbp/s yesterday, today after sending an email to Zen Technical Department i noticed in the evening the speedtest said 3.6mbp/s.

The speedtest at BT says this.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5376 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7712 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

Something is just not right, is it Zen, is it BT. ?

Its certainly not my equipment, i wouldn't rule out my exchange completely but the way this seems to happen is strange, if it was congestion i'd be surprised since this problem wasn't happening last year and i don't think Jedburgh has any more people connecting than last year during peak times.

I do like Zen customer service though, and i should also say they are far better than Virgin ADSL or AOl, both of which were atrocious as far as their internet went.
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Wed 25-May-11 09:31:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by TalkTalk1969:
I have been with Zen quite a few years now but notice my speed drops whenever i download anything during peak times, now sure i have read people claiming its a BT issue, i have emailed Zen and spoken to Zen on the phone and they say they do not have speed caps but there is some doubt in my mind as this never used to happen and i do not think my local exchange is better or worse than it used to be.

I give you an example, the download started at 188kbp/s, it was fine for several minutes then suddenly drops to a consistent 90.6kbp/s - That is suspiciously like speed capping as far as i am concerned.

I can assure you there is no capping in place. smile

In terms of 'peak' what times are you talking, as it's a very subjective term? In our case, 'peak' is typically office hours, but for the BT side of the network peaks are likely to occur in the evenings/weekends to correspond with residential usage.

A change at the exchange is unlikely to have occured for you to experience the effects of contention; the change will more likely be in how people use their connections - sometimes that could be driven by an unusual event (and there may be some who carry on using services after 'discovering' them in this way) or by people starting to use their connections differently (so using things like iPlayer, LoveFilm, YouTube for watching more video or for watching in higher quality).

A few users changing their behaviour over time will eventually add up, so the effects of contention are experienced. Once speeds fall out of BT's thresholds consistently BT would then look to address capacity.

kind regards,
Phil Long

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 25-May-11 09:49:23
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

I consider peak times to be in the evening between 5pm and 11pm, thats when i think people will get in from work and school and use the internet.

I just checked my local exchange using the Nildram UK site.

Results for exchange: Jedburgh
Congestion

Congestion status on this exchange is green GREEN.

Your telephone line is on an un-congested exchange.
Major Service Outages

There are no Major Service Outages on your line at this present time

I connected at 5.4mbp/s at 6am this morning, i will check that during those peak hours tonight, maybe you are right and it is just many users on the internet during the evening or maybe its connected with the recent issue of no internet when i was down for five days, who knows, time will tell.
Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Wed 25-May-11 12:06:02
Print Post

On sunday 12pm my speed went from 6mb to 3mb in a instant and stayed there until 5pm at which point it went back to 6mb in a instant, my exchange is also green.

Iplayer and formula one are to blame it seems, and traffic shaping seems to be very much in effect during these events and peak times.

I really don't know why anyones bothers wasting bandwidth on F1 none of those follow the leader fairy's could hold a candle to senna and mansell.

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
(newbie) Wed 25-May-11 12:27:59
Print Post

[re: Tox_Laximus] [link to this post]

How did you get the 1mbp/s upload speed, i'd love that if i didn't have to pay extra for it, with a website it's useful to have a higher upload speed when restoring backups and adding files to your site, it can be so slow when you are uploading large files at 200kbp/s to 300kbp/s.

Regarding traffic shaping, do you think BT are doing this or Zen. ?

I find it strange that the speed on a download can drop and stay at a consistent low range, i saw this with Virgin when i used to be with them, although it was a pathetic 25kbp/s during peak hours and thats why i left them. I would have thought if there was local congestion due to many people using the internet at the same time that the speed would vary rather than be a consistent number.

Also a few days back i was connecting at 800kbp/s, then i connect at 3.6mbp/s and now 5.4mbp/s, i would have thought regardless of download speed that the rate at which you connect should stay the same and be consistent, i'm guessing though that is a completely different issue to the download speeds during peak hours which may be congestion although why does it drop suddenly and stay at the exact speed and not go higher or lower, that is strange to me and reminds me of my Virgin internet experience.

Edited by TalkTalk1969 (Wed 25-May-11 12:29:16)

(isp) Wed 25-May-11 12:49:46
Print Post

By 'connecting at' do you mean sync'ing at? If so it may be BRAS profile limits that are the cause. PM me your username if you like and I'll have a gander. smile

And, I'll say again - Zen aren't capping/traffic shaping or anything of that nature. smile

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Wed 25-May-11 13:15:56
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SkyFire:
By 'connecting at' do you mean sync'ing at? If so it may be BRAS profile limits that are the cause. PM me your username if you like and I'll have a gander. smile

And, I'll say again - Zen aren't capping/traffic shaping or anything of that nature. smile

ta,
Phil.

My profile has changed a lot this month but currently shows as 6000 downstream and a sync rate of 6816.

My internet speed has now dropped to 3.4mbp/s according to the speedtest and its only just after 1pm, this morning it was 5.4mbps. I just cannot see a small town like Jedburgh having lots of congestion at 1.10pm of the day. I'll check Nildram again but it probably won't show anything.

I'll PM you my Zen username though and you can take a look, if its not your end then i guess its BT or the exchange and the recent issues i have had,
(isp) Wed 25-May-11 13:19:29
Print Post

The BT congestion reports aren't updated in real-time; they're generated by BT on a regular basis (as I recall, monthly - though it might be more frequent than that) and are based on an exchange operating outside of BT's planning guidance (so customers regularly seeing speeds below the published thresholds) for a sustained period of time.

Unfortunately green does not mean 'no contention' it just means it's within acceptable boundaries.

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long

(isp) Wed 25-May-11 13:33:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by TalkTalk1969:
I'll PM you my Zen username though and you can take a look, if its not your end then i guess its BT or the exchange and the recent issues i have had,

Thanks. I've taken a look, and your BRAS profile looks like it's remained stable at 6000kbps, even during your recent fault.

Looking at your line I feel fairly confident in saying this is most likely due to contention at the exchange level - the line looks stable in terms of BRAS profile and has only had a few drops in the past week. There's nothing I can see on our side of the network that should result in slower speeds.

I know this doesn't provide a resolution, but hopefully - along with my previous posts - it at least helps in understanding what's happening.

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to