User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nbarker
(regular) Mon 30-May-11 12:44:12
Print Post

FTTC with Zen

[link to this post]

I'm considering upgrading my ADSL with Zen to FTTC. Presently, I'm on a 21CN line, though running on the older 'up to 8Mb' service due to problems I had with ADSL2+ with stability issues and the ADSL signal being synched, but no data flowing. My line is now pretty stable and is synching beyond the estimated 3Mb, at 5Mb.

I'd like FTTC, but some questions:-

My master phone socket is downstairs, in the living room and my router is plugged in to an extension in my office, upstairs. When BT come and install the ethernet port, where can that be installed, as putting it downstairs wouldn't be much good for me as I don't particularly want to have to run ethernet cable upstairs. I seem to recall hearing that on the install visit, BT will install it elsewhere? My office is directly above the living room and presently the cable comes into the house from below ground and then the extension goes from the master socket, back out of the house and upstairs (secured behind a drain pipe to be out of sight), into the loft and then drops down into the office.

Would BT run a cable up a similar path, but then straight into the office rather than up into the loft first and then install the ethernet port in the office?

I do also wish that there wasn't the £75+vat installation charge too!

-- <br>Neil Barker

Edited by nbarker (Mon 30-May-11 12:45:49)

Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Mon 30-May-11 23:14:43
Print Post

Re: FTTC with Zen

[re: nbarker] [link to this post]

2 words

Netgear Powerline laugh

In reply to a post by Zen:
We don't sell pork pies?
Standard User nbarker
(regular) Wed 01-Jun-11 16:34:58
Print Post

[re: Tox_Laximus] [link to this post]

No ideas?

-- <br>Neil Barker

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 21:24:11
Print Post

I had something very similar - master socket downstairs, ADSL only socket upstairs. I now have phone socket downstairs and master/VDSL upstairs

See this for fuller explanation

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/3969054-re-...

Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Thu 02-Jun-11 10:40:54
Print Post

It would cost around £45 to use your mains wiring as ethernet ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-...

Been using these for years, they are very fast and easy to install, they even work with surge protectors but slows them a little.

In reply to a post by Zen:
We don't sell pork pies?
  Print Thread

Jump to