User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ant__
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 11:50:47
Print Post

Zen fibre install friday

[link to this post]

Getting my zen adsl upgraded to fibre on friday, got a wag320n that can can do ppoe (that i think can do the job from checking)

30m of cat5e+rj11 from master socket to place out of sight in the hall with power for the modem.

50m cat5e +rj45's from hall > router upstairs. Hopefully the install will go well!

Anyone know if the engineer will be able to snip some of the cable with the rj11 on it and recrimp it, i bought a premade length for that section as i didn't have an connections/crimper and i'm about 5m's overestimated with nowhere to put it *whoops*.

anything else i should sort out before install for people that have had theirs done?

Edited by Ant__ (Tue 14-Jun-11 11:51:33)

Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:27:21
Print Post

Re: Zen fibre install friday

[re: Ant__] [link to this post]

The nice BT person will come to the existing NTE5 and swap the face plate and expect to install & power the BT provided modem at that point and no where else within the property.

You might get a very nice BT person who will help you out and give you a bit of cable or help you move things - but it's not part of the install. So long as the BT person can test the line and get sync and internet they will leave you to your own devices - remember though the faceplate & modem belong to BT so you may not touch them in any way...
Standard User Ant__
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 21:56:40
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

well don't really need him to give me anything just snip the cable so it's a bit shorter and recrimp it if he can, would like to think he could to save me doing it at a later date, basically done all his work at the premises for him bar switching the faceplate.

Just out of interest does anyone know how it works if you've 2x fibre to the house?, another resident in the property is a boss in BT and has a separate adsl line for work thats getting an upgrade to fibre as well soon.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:34:04
Print Post

There's no reason why you can't both have it...

The fibre is to the cabinet, not to the house.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:17:55
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JonRennie:
There's no reason why you can't both have it...

The fibre is to the cabinet, not to the house.

Indeed - they will just swap the 'other' NTE5 faceplate the same as they will when your line gets done.

You can have as many lines as you like!
Standard User pwhodges
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:01:18
Print Post

[re: IamQ] [link to this post]

I'm starting to think about FTTC as well, since a cabinet appeared at the end of my road about ten days ago.

I have no NTE5; how much flexibility will BT allow me in this case to suggest where it should go (the present entry point is really unsuitable)? And should this be done first in a separate visit, or will they be happy to do it in one hit?

Paul
Standard User iand
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 20:07:59
Print Post

[re: pwhodges] [link to this post]

If you want this service and BT are selling then just order it. I am sure they have a 'proccess' to deal with your situation. (I would have a spot on the wall marked here you would like the service installed and wait for the engineer)

IanD
Standard User IamQ
(experienced) Wed 15-Jun-11 21:20:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by pwhodges:
I have no NTE5; how much flexibility will BT allow me in this case to suggest where it should go (the present entry point is really unsuitable)? And should this be done first in a separate visit, or will they be happy to do it in one hit?

Little or none based on the installs I've done - someone else may be able to advise better.

BT will install the NTE5 at the closest point the cable enters the address, they normally replace the 1st socket in any case and turn that into the master. It will all be done as part of the FTTC install visit and should only require 1 vist for the whole lot.

Best bet is to have a nice chat with the person who attends to do the install - most of them like tea and something to dunk in it! If there really is a problem with the cable entry point then logic says with a nice word they should be able to help you out.
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jun-11 21:39:53
Print Post

The two BT OR engineers who did my install in February moved the master socket from downstairs to an upstairs bedroom / computer room and also converted the old master socket to an extension port.

They did this quite happily and it was all done in the one visit - about 1 hour in total.

Standard User tri_hard
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:05:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ant__:
.....got a wag320n that can can do ppoe (that i think can do the job from checking)

I guess you would know one way or other by now but doesn't the wag320n do PPPoE over an ADSL modem port and not out via ethernet ?

I don't understand the exact configuration but I thought the BT box has to be connected to by an ethernet connection rather than a telephone line from the computers in the house.
  Print Thread

Jump to