User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User suiy
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-11 07:52:57
Print Post

adsl2+

[link to this post]

Hi guys. sorry if this is off topic and not really zen related. But my line was upgraded to 21cn today. But i dont think my old netgear dg834gt supports adsl2+. As ive since rebooted her and shes still connecting at 8meg.

I am clueless about routers so what do you folks use or recommend ? I have 8 devices routed into my router which runs a dynamic setup. Theres so many new routers out there i am clueless what to go for smile
ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Tue 21-Jun-11 09:24:41
Print Post

Re: adsl2+

[re: suiy] [link to this post]

Hi,

When your exchange is enabled for 21cn your connection is still set to use ADSL (up to 8Mbps) not ADSL2+. 21cn is the term that describes the equipment/network available at your local exchange, not the service that the equipment supplies.

To regrade to ADSL2+ (free of charge) simply follow the instructions below:

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/KnowledgebaseArticle.asp...

It's worth noting that your line may not perform as well on ADSL2+ if you are getting around 4Mbps on ADSL or less - it's a far more demanding service in terms of line length/quality, internal phone wiring etc.

If you check your phone number on the following page it will help determine what benefits you may see from regerading to ADSL2+, if any:

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/

Alternatively post your router stats on here so we can provide advice, or contact us in support so we can have a look at the stats we have available at this end and provide help.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative Azzaka
(isp) Tue 21-Jun-11 09:28:04
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Just to add to Pauls post, the DG84GT 'should' support ADSL 2+ without issue.

Leo Goile
---
ZeN Internet
Technical Support
ZeN are recruiting! Click here to view the opportunities available.

I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(isp) Tue 21-Jun-11 09:46:22
Print Post

[re: Azzaka] [link to this post]

Good point - running the latest firmware available from Netgear for that model it should be fine on 21cn; some older Netgears on older firmwares on 21cn can give quite an intermittent connection.

To be fair; an awful lot of older ADSL2+ firmwares for routers sold in the UK were developed before ADSL2+ was commercially available here - meeting the technical spec is one thing, but 'real world' testing on the UK DSL network (with all the attendent challenges of variable copper phone line conditions etc) is quite another smile

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
Standard User suiy
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-11 10:26:30
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

hi there, Thanks for the advice. Acordding to the email from you guys my service is now on 20 meg i know it takes ten days for the line to stabilise,

Ive put my router upto the latest firmware but it still only connests at 8 meg smile

any my line stats are
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.0 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 12.3 db 28.0 db
Standard User aquilla
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-11 10:32:48
Print Post

Hi Suiy,

Another thing to check is the "mode" that the Netgear is using to connect. It could be using plain old ADSL1 (G.DMT I believe) which has an upper limit of 8128kbps.

I don't know where the option to set the ADSL mode is on the Netgear as I don't have one (until later this week), but if you can find it, change it to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) or Auto / Multimode.

Regards,

Stuart

Current ISP: Xilo LLU (via Cable & Wireless)
Previous ISP: Zen (for 9 years).
(isp) Tue 21-Jun-11 10:39:52
Print Post

Hi,

Drop me a private message on this forum with your Zen username and I'll have a look at this for you from this end - the line stats indicate the line is still on ADSL, not ADSL2+. If you have regraded to ADSL2+ via the customer portal but this hasn't gone through for some reason I'll get this fixed for you.

The good news is that with a downstream line attenuation of 20db you should get a significant increase in speed on ADSL2+ smile

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
Standard User suiy
(regular) Tue 21-Jun-11 10:48:15
Print Post

[re: aquilla] [link to this post]

hey smile pm' sent and to add, my router is running in multimode, I will give it a nudge in a moment and see if i can get it to do adsl2+

Want to say thank you both for excellent support so far smile
(isp) Tue 21-Jun-11 11:31:01
Print Post

Hi suiy,

Just to let you know - I've not received a PM from you through this forum yet. Wil try PM'ing you to see if it gets through.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
Standard User No_One
(committed) Tue 21-Jun-11 23:18:05
Print Post

If I remember right, we're both on the same exchange. My line was also moved on Monday morning. Were still on 8 meg for the moment. The move to 21cn means we can now order the faster services through the customer portal.

I think the move for me has disabled interleaving since I'm now syncing slightly faster (from 7616 to 8096 from memory). I'm not sure how well my 6 yr old netgear dg834g v2 will cope with adsl2+ though. Once I'm back from my holiday I'll look into it properly
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to