User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DJGIT_UK
(experienced) Thu 23-Jun-11 10:37:42
Print Post

Tell me it's not true...

[link to this post]

Hi fellow board members,

It's been some time since I posted on these forums so be gentle!

I moved to Zen from Nildram a couple of years or so ago due to the once mighty Nildram becoming a sluggish and most offensive product.

In my opinion, Nildrams commericial aspirations outweighed it's desire to provide a quality of service that could meet the demands of its relatively niche customer base and as such sold their sole to the highest bidder whilst sticking two fingers up to their, then many loyal customers, who were willing to pay a premium for a fast reliable service.

Up until December 2010, Zen stepped into Nildrams shoes with great ease, infact I would go as far to say that they could have passed them off for pair of Jimmy Choos when compared with the rubber-soled Clarks that Nildram had decided to don, but alas...it appears that trouble is brewing...

I moved out of my home at the end of December 2010 in order to embark on a lengthy extension project which has seen my house knocked down and rebuilt again.

Having spent 6 months living with the outlaws (!) and making use of their woeful BT internet connection over an equally woeful powerline set up, I was chomping at the bit to get home to my speedy and reliable Zen connection.

Now that I am home and having gone throgh the rigours of setting up all my tech, I have to say that I am mightily worried about Zens product. My connection is not what it used to be, browsing seems sluggish, download speeds are inconsistent, online gaming is tempremental and iplayer is pretty much impossible to use due to the constant buffering.

I suppose what I am looking for here is some reassurance that what happened to Nildram isn't happening to Zen. Do happy customers still far outweigh the unhappy ones? Does Zen still deliver on speed and reliablity? because that is what is important to me....you can thow all of your free braodband and unlimited evening calls at me that you like but I want and will pay for a fast reliable intenet connection that suits my needs.

I have done the comparison tests and see that Zen still "tops the charts" albeit with a relatively small sample size, but all of a sudden I see clouds on the horizon of what was once a clear blue sky of rock solid broadband performance...I was very suprised at the number of negatvie posts on the thinkbroadband forums, which BTW have always been my first port of call since I became a member back in 2001.

Tell me it's not true and that the problems I am facing are related to issues other than Zens product.

Cheers

D

p.s. I haven't called tech support as yet as am going through a method of deduction at home but at present having tried the router through the master socket with no wireless connections I am concerned that my speed is inconsistent at best. Will call once have finished trying everything I know of.

Got...got...got...got...NEED!!!...got...got...got.

Edited by DJGIT_UK (Thu 23-Jun-11 11:33:18)

ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Thu 23-Jun-11 11:04:57
Print Post

Re: Tell me it's not true...

[re: DJGIT_UK] [link to this post]

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having - needless to say there are lots of potential reasons why the throughput speeds you're getting are varying, doing the diagnostics you've done is an excellent place to start working out what's causing this.

If you drop me a PM via this forum with your Zen username I'll have a look at the information available from our end to help narrow down what the cause of this problem could be.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User DJGIT_UK
(experienced) Thu 23-Jun-11 11:41:01
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Thanks for your prompt response Paul, that's a great example of excellent customer service.

Just for the record, I haven't posted on here in order that I receive preferential treatment (as nice as it is!) I am just keen to get a general concensus of opinion regarding Zen as I have been out of the loop for so long that I may have missed somehting! I am also far too lazy to read the hundreds of threads regarding speed etc.

As far as I was concenred (and still am to a certain extenet) Zen was/is the number one choice for users requiring a fast and relaible service with excellent customer support. I am very hopeful that the problems I am having are related to something in my home...

I'll PM you my details shortly.

Thanks

D.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jun-11 00:16:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by DJGIT_UK:
I am just keen to get a general consensus of opinion regarding Zen .....
Same very reliable service here - with consistent speed.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User DJGIT_UK
(experienced) Mon 27-Jun-11 12:16:27
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. (and for correcting my shoddy spelling!! wink)

I am pretty confident that the issues lie with my router/ internal connection. Zen support (thanks Paul!) have been testing my line over the weekend and all looking ok in terms of the line etc.

Have a new router to try which I am sure will resolve the issue.

Cheers

D.

Standard User TalkTalk1969
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:17:41
Print Post

I see you do online gaming, be aware if you chose a netgear router and use the Playstation network that you will likely experience issues with frequent disconnections, i know i did and chose to go back to my old Xyzel router and i have since had no disconnections, you can Google this issue.
Standard User DJGIT_UK
(experienced) Wed 29-Jun-11 13:59:32
Print Post

[re: TalkTalk1969] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I tend to use my 360 and PC more so than my PS3, although due to the free offerings on the playstation network of late, have been using it a bit more! (who doesn't love a freebie!)

Have managed to obtain a Draytek Vigor 2710 router and am hopefull this should put pay to the issues I have had. Haven't had time to set it up yet but am planning to do so this week so fingers crossed!!

Cheers

D.

Print Thread

Jump to