User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TalkTalk1969
(newbie) Sun 26-Jun-11 11:12:04
Print Post

Gaming Mode

[link to this post]

I was reading a few forum posts, not in the Zen forum though, a few people mentioned a gaming mode for those who like to do online gaming, i forget the exact details, probably something to do with latency and lowering it.

I do enjoy some online gaming and use the Playstation network for this, does Zen have a gaming profile. ?

Pardon my ignorance if i am getting everything mixed up.

Edited by TalkTalk1969 (Sun 26-Jun-11 11:12:26)

ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Sun 26-Jun-11 11:37:42
Print Post

Re: Gaming Mode

[re: TalkTalk1969] [link to this post]

Hi,

It sounds like you're describing interleaving - if you have a longer/lower quality phone line applying interleaving can help stabilise your line and overcome errors with the effect of slightly increasing latency.

There are 3 settings that can be applied: Auto (let BTs line management system decide to apply interleaving or not), On or Off. As a side note - on 21CN exchanges the amount of interleaving applied to the up and downstream can be made independently of each other.

If you call Zen tech support we can apply any of the three main options you prefer, although changes are made at your own risk (if you ask for interleaving switched off on a 'marginal' quality line against our advice and your connection goes haywire, don't blame us!) although we can revert any changes that are made if requested.

For the vast majority of lines the default 'Auto' setting works fine - if you have a good enough quality line it will set interleaving to 'off' anyway.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Btcc22
(experienced) Sun 26-Jun-11 11:41:21
Print Post

You can ask to have interleaving turned off which should lower your latency by a bit (assuming it's on at the moment). The tradeoff is that your connection might not be quite as stable and will drop a bit of speed as correction.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TalkTalk1969
(newbie) Sun 26-Jun-11 13:09:39
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Whats happening is i like to play Resistance: Fall Of Man online, i am finding i am firing away at people who are coming back into the game after being shot and they usually end up shooting me despite the fact i have already hit them a dozen times, yet when i come back in after being shot it seems i can be killed instantly, maybe its a lag issue for me, perhaps they have faster connections and when i am seeing them "phase" back in they are actually already in the game, probably not lag since the game runs smoothly.

It doesn't sound like interleaving will fix it since i have a pretty stable line.

I can adjust to this and i still do well in the game i'm just wondering whats happening there.

Edited by TalkTalk1969 (Sun 26-Jun-11 13:11:19)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 26-Jun-11 18:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by TalkTalk1969:
Whats happening is i like to play Resistance: Fall Of Man online, i am finding i am firing away at people who are coming back into the game after being shot and they usually end up shooting me despite the fact i have already hit them a dozen times, yet when i come back in after being shot it seems i can be killed instantly, maybe its a lag issue for me, perhaps they have faster connections and when i am seeing them "phase" back in they are actually already in the game, probably not lag since the game runs smoothly.

It doesn't sound like interleaving will fix it since i have a pretty stable line.

I can adjust to this and i still do well in the game i'm just wondering whats happening there.
Just try it with interleaving off to see if it improves things. Then you'll know...

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to