User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:26:12
Print Post

Temporarily raising traffic priority to business grade

[link to this post]

Hi

Looks like I'm going to have to work a few days over Christmas this year but the management are currently considering whether to allow us to work from home as all the VPN kit is already in place on the network at work.

I have no doubt that once the traffic reaches Zen it will meet no obstacles whatsoever but am not so sure about the BT backhaul though, particularly considering the time of year.

I understand on the Office DSL packages Zen can arrange to have the traffic tagged as priority.

My question is, in exchange for a fee of course can this be done on the other packages bearing in mind I will only need it over the Christmas period?

I have plenty of banked bandwidth so am not concerned about that.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:58:38
Print Post

Re: Temporarily raising traffic priority to business grade

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

To be honest the difference is not really noticeable unless your specific exchange has a LOT of contention if you are on an exchange that does not offer 21CN products.

Not heard much on how much difference the elevation makes for 21CN WBC lines, again if little or no congestion in an area then it will have little effect.

A lot depends on what you are doing over the VPN, but have found a VPN to use remote desktop, so file copies stay within the company LAN rather than going up/down the VPN works a lot better.

The answer from Zen will probably be that you regrade to Zen Office (£45+vat for that month), at which point balance the costs/convience of this versus driving to office on those days.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User techguy
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 13:19:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello Mr S

Will be a Siebel CRM session (web based) along with a new phone control panel (calls redirected to my mobile) together with a few encrypted screens for user services so probably not that demanding.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Fri 01-Jul-11 13:19:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Acidic
(newbie) Sat 02-Jul-11 11:44:19
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Hi techguy,

Although I don't have visibility of traffic levels on the BTW network during the Christmas period, I don't think December is likely to be one of the busiest months for traffic levels; it's certainly not on the Zen network.

Carl
Standard User techguy
(member) Sat 02-Jul-11 14:53:32
Print Post

[re: Acidic] [link to this post]

Looks like I should be ok then.

As I said, I have full confidence in the Zen network because I know its well designed and managed.

I'll do a bit of testing beforehand anyway.

ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Sat 02-Jul-11 18:52:12
Print Post

[re: Acidic] [link to this post]

*cough* ISP staff tag Carl...

(Hey, if I had to sort mine out... smile )

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User techguy
(member) Sat 02-Jul-11 20:07:21
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Tut tut tut smile

Seriously, thanks all.

Least I won't have to go into the office on Boxing Day (provided my bosses agree of course)

Print Thread

Jump to