User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jul-11 23:13:32
Print Post

Spontaneous IP profile drop to 2000Kbps

[link to this post]

Internet has been winding me up all night and not going above 2Mbps so thought I would try the good old BT speedtest website to see what is going on - to my surprise my IP profile has gone to 2000Kbps despite being synched at 8Mbps (and without fail for last 2 years) as well as line stats unchanged, usual good self (SnR: 13, Att: 12), no recent disconnections, and no recent problems with line.

Restarted the router but still giving the same, groan.

Anyone seen anything like this before? No doubt 2000Kbps is the default profile to shove everyone onto when their (BT) systems don't do their job properly. I guess a phonecall to Zen is needed tomorrow smile

edit - Well to tell the truth my connection was offline all morning about 3 weeks back on a Friday - but then so was the whole village tongue

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 06-Jul-11 23:35:26)

Standard User jphilip
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 00:10:49
Print Post

Re: Spontaneous IP profile drop to 2000Kbps

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

If you have a portal.zen.co.uk account the line data there should tell you roughly when your profile changed - if has been at that for more than 3 days definitely call support.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-11 19:03:35
Print Post

[re: jphilip] [link to this post]

Hmm.

Phone Zen today and told the facts as they were, the chap I spoke to said from Zen's end my IP profile was showing 7.5Mbps, then said he could hear noise on my line during the conversation and blamed that for causing a throughput issue (as opposed to IP profile) and told me to contact BT after running a quiet line test. I was not very satisfied by that explanation to be polite and phoned back a few minutes later and got through to someone else who, when I explained the BT speedtest website is showing right in front of my face an IP profile of 2Mbps and that my download speeds are 2Mbps, he asked me to send a screenshot of this so they can escalate to BT...

Since then the BT speedtest website simply refuses to progress further than Checking User Details... absolutely marvellous.

I could be wrong and will hold my hands up if this is the case, but considering my f8lure graph shows absolutely no problems, sync speed is 8Mbps with no dropouts, line stats perfect, router showing no errors, and I feel my connection is fault-free, I was not very impressed by the first explanation that I received frown

BT need a good kick up the jaxi and fix this pathetic speedtest website they run - been "Checking user details" for the past 30 minutes now... I wouldn't mind too much but other members in the house are complaining they have no internet connectivity because I actually did as BT want and made sure this PC is the only one connected.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Btcc22
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-11 23:52:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
the BT speedtest website simply refuses to progress further than Checking User Details... absolutely marvellous.

I thought that was by design! wink
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Fri 08-Jul-11 10:06:46
Print Post

Hi,

Can you PM me your username please so I can take a quick look at what's happened here? Usually the speed test results should be visible here if you've run them in the past - and we definitely have live visibility of speed profiles...

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Fri 08-Jul-11 11:55:00
Print Post

Hi,

I found your username from previous profile issues you had a while-back.

Looking in to this, I can see on one system BT have your profile as 7150, but we can see the BT speed test result - and it's stating a profile of 2000. I've asked somebody to take a look at this and see about getting the profile issue fixed. I'm guessing the BT database is reporting something that doesn't represent how the equipment is configured.

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative Pontefract
(isp) Fri 08-Jul-11 12:51:04
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

Hi Pipexer,

Sorry to hear of the speed problems you've had. Phil asked me to have a look at this fault - it's definitely an odd one, the IP profile reported to us by BTs systems for your line has consistently been 7150 but the BT speedtest was definitely showing 2Mbps throughput and a 2Mbps IP profile (thanks for the screenshots you sent in btw) while your phone line is excellent quality and stable at 8Mbps sync.

I've had BT rebuild the profile on the RAS - a glitch in BTs backend systems somewhere is the most likely cause in this case. When you get the chance could you reboot the router and run the BT speedtest again? Let us know if this seems to have fixed it - if you're still seeing the same problem let us know and we'll pursue this further with BT.

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jul-11 16:25:48
Print Post

[re: Pontefract] [link to this post]

Hi Phil, Paul,

Just run a speedtest and it's all back to it's normal good self, it's going over 2Mbps now and the BT speedtest is showing a 7150 IP profile - Thanks for the extremely swift response, especially so late in the week smile

I gather from your reactions this must have been quite an unusual thing to occur, thinking back I had the same fault when I first joined actually and it had stuck at 2Mbps then, twice in 3 years isn't bad I guess smile

Thanks very much once again!

(isp) Sat 09-Jul-11 11:25:04
Print Post

No problem - glad to hear your connection is working as it should again smile

--
Paul Simpson
Zen Technical Support
  Print Thread

Jump to