User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User silvandy02
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 17:25:29
Print Post

Connection issues with certain software

[link to this post]

Hi.

I've been using Zen since last November and generally love the service they provide, but i have frequent problems with the connection dropping when certain software is in use.

Recently I bought the Splashtop app for iPad, which lets me view my PC on iPad. It worked perfectly the first time it was used, but ever since then the second the app is selected, even if it doesn't get a chance to load up, the connection just dies until the router is reset.

Then today I installed Raptr on my PC and as soon as I try to sign into my account, the connection drops again until the router is reset.

I am completely at a loss as to how to fix this and if anybody can be of any help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
- Andy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:23:07
Print Post

Re: Connection issues with certain software

[re: silvandy02] [link to this post]

Are these apps actually using the internet connection, or just accessing other computers on the local LAN - Splashtop is what I am thinking. Since if just LAN side, then should not be crashing router.

Raptr seems to be a gaming service, so if it is offering something like games browser you may find it is running too many connections at once, swamping the NAT table in your router, or overloading its ability to resolve DNS. Configuring software to use less simultaneous connections can help

In short, these things are usually router driven, thus question is what ADSL router do you have?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User silvandy02
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:37:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Are these apps actually using the internet connection, or just accessing other computers on the local LAN - Splashtop is what I am thinking. Since if just LAN side, then should not be crashing router.

Raptr seems to be a gaming service, so if it is offering something like games browser you may find it is running too many connections at once, swamping the NAT table in your router, or overloading its ability to resolve DNS. Configuring software to use less simultaneous connections can help

In short, these things are usually router driven, thus question is what ADSL router do you have?

Hi.

Yeah, Splashtop uses my wireless connection. I'm not sure why it needs the internet, but apparently it does.

My router is a Thomson TG585 v8.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:45:21
Print Post

[re: silvandy02] [link to this post]

If it works like Teamviewer then when accessing a computer on the network, you are actually going out all the way across the internet and then back in...

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,9120...

The 585 has seen reports of crashes from various bits of software running, so maybe time to change router, or at least look for a newer version of firmware for it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User silvandy02
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:48:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay, thank you for your help! I'll look into updating my router if possible. If not, then as you say, might be time for a new router.
  Print Thread

Jump to