User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Nov-11 17:46:11
Print Post

10 day training period

[link to this post]

Last Monday BT managed to cut/damage a wire in the pair on my phone line resulting in 7 days without a telephone and a degraded broadband connection.

BT fixed the issue with the line Monday afternoon and my line stats all returned to normal etc but I have a stuck IP Profile now at 4500.

Being the patient person I am (tongue) I waited till yesterday before phoning Zen who said things should return to normal in a few hours (which in the past they have done). Profile still hasn't raised yet so phoned again but I've been told that I must wait 10 days (2nd December) before it can be raised as a fault as my line is in the 10 day training period now.

This adds insult to injury now because not only did I have a week without any phone at all I now have to put up with rubbish broadband speeds for a few more weeks after the fact.

I know I should be grateful but it's just silly when my line is pegged at maximum sync and can hold a connection for a whole month that this nonsense procedure slows it down. How on earth could BT use a system which can be so out of sync with the sync (no pun intended!) smile

I am curious what BTs excuse is on the matter? What if the IP profile was stuck at something very low or it was a business customer, surely they cannot consider that acceptable?

(staff) Thu 24-Nov-11 22:28:33
Print Post

Re: 10 day training period

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

If this was a brand new provision, then IP profile issues can be dealt with inside the first ten days, but generally providers prefer to wait.

After a repair no reason to have to wait ten days, if after 5 days and no low sync events the profile has not risen then it is stuck.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jphilip
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 22:31:53
Print Post

I have found in the past that when I get an illogical 'it cannot be raised as a fault..' response it helps to ask for the issue to be escalated within Zen to a team leader.

Edited by jphilip (Thu 24-Nov-11 22:32:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 21:21:32
Print Post

[re: jphilip] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. These were my gut feelings because it has been fixed sooner than 10 days in the past, but didn't want to point the finger just on my own assumptions.

As much as I hate whinging this doesn't look good on Zen because this is 2 bad experiences in a row with tech support now - the last time I phoned support because of a stuck IP profile I was told by the support person "I have an ear for these things and I can hear a fault on your line" and told me to raise with BT! Despite me explaining my line is synched at 8Mbps and good stats etc etc he wasn't having it and insisted I phoned BT. I was polite and hung up. Then phoned back and got through to someone more helpful, and the IP profile got sorted within hours.

I'm paying a massive premium for my connection - starting to feel a bit let down now by this particular aspect. I didn't even ask for a refund on my line rental (which is with Zen) even though it was down a full 7 days.. perhaps I should have now!

frown

Edited by Pipexer (Fri 25-Nov-11 21:25:47)

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Mon 28-Nov-11 09:16:32
Print Post

Hi,

BT now require us to take specific steps to resolve stuck BRAS profiles - and one of those is essentially a retrain - which takes up to 10 days to finalise. At the time of your last call that had been submitted to BT but hadn't yet gone through.

In reality the BRAS profile should rise to support your line speed quicker than the 10 day period - assuming there aren't underlying issues which are resulting in the BRAS dropping to the rate you saw (i.e. line problems which mean it isn't stuck, just you haven't seen when it's sync'd at a lower rate).

From what I can see, your BRAS profile has now increased to match your line. As this is a recurring issue for you it will be interesting to see if this new process we have from BT improves matters more permanently - as it seems that BT's previous attempts didn't deliver a permanent fix.

kind regards,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to