User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 16:49:26
Print Post

Do my starts look ok?

[link to this post]

These are that stats connected at the test socket.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7536/img0003nu.jpg

When I connect the router at it's usual place on an extension the downstream attenuation increases by just 1db. Although I'm connected at the highest speed I can on a forced interleaved line I've been told that my noise margin is too high. Is it anything to be concerned about? The only reason I'm on 8meg is because my plasma tv was messing up the adsl2+ making it unusable.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-12 17:37:34
Print Post

Re: Do my starts look ok?

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

You noise margin suggests that you could squeeze a little more synch out of your line potentially, but that's up to the router and DSLAMs to negotiate. I think that a steady 6db SNR is the target (usually).

Basically the higher the SNR, the better, unless your synch speed is slow, in which case you'd wonder why it isn't utilising the available SNR margin to increase the synch.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN 8000 Pro
Draytek Vigor 2600g -> Vigor 2710n
Down Speed Synch: 8128000
Up Speed Synch: 448000

What I get:
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Jan-12 17:43:33
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

At 22dB attenuation, even with a 12dB target noise margin I'd expect full sync.
It is feasible that interleaving is on, and this can affect the maximum sync for various different modems.

If not interleaved then the plasma is holding you back slightly, and I would be looking at using better cabling and move any phone/adsl stuff as far away from the plasma as possible.Presume you did the ring wire changes and fitting an ADSL faceplate?

Presume you figured out it was the plasma by switching it off?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Sat 21-Jan-12 17:45:41)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 17:52:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In my line stats in the customer portal it says that interleaving is definitely on. This is what is probably preventing syncing at 8128. The plasma for some reason only messed up ADSL2+. With the tv on it maintained sync but there was virtually no throughput. With it off, I got a nice 16 meg connection. I never could figure out how to prevent it (couldn't get hold of another router to try) so reverted back to 8 meg for the time being. I think interleaving was forced on a few years ago when my line suddenly dropped to 6 meg. This was even at the test socket so clearly something between the house and exchange which presumably has no gone away. Suppose I could get onto support and get interleaving switched back to auto mode.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Sat 21-Jan-12 18:01:00
Print Post

I'm not sure that interleaving affects the synch speed, it should only really affect ping times, IIRC.

I have interleaving on, and synch at 8128 which I think is the max for ADSLmax (no pun intended).

My SNRM is currently 10db and my attentuation is also 22db. Though to be honest, you're unlikely to see much change by synching that little bit higher. According to Kitz the difference would only by 0.15Mbps

Cheers,
AP

ZeN 8000 Pro
Draytek Vigor 2600g -> Vigor 2710n
Down Speed Synch: 8128000
Up Speed Synch: 448000

What I get:
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Jan-12 20:27:38
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Interleave on Max should normally mean a 7616Kbps sync but depends on the modem in use.

How close was the plasma to any ADSL/phone wiring?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 21:00:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Usually the router is right next to the tv so that th Xbox can plug into it. I did try movin it to the other side of the house but it didn't help. I did make a thread about it in the technical forum at the time
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 21:52:54
Print Post

Your stats are very similar to mine. I Have same noise margin but my attenuation is 28db. My sync speed is 7800, interleaving turned off by choice.

BTopenworld --> <n>ildram --> ZeN
  Print Thread

Jump to