User comments on ISPs
  >> Zen Internet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dazbarber
(regular) Sat 28-Jan-12 14:31:35
Print Post

Zen 8000 Lite v Zen Lite

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm on the Zen 8000 Active service and, having looked back at my usage in the past 12 months, I see that I have only used more than 10Gb per month about 5 times. Even then I've only gone over by 2 or 3 Gb.

Therefore it appears that regrading to one of the Lite services (and paying extra for more Gb) might be a sensible move.

When looking into it, I am offered the options of moving to Zen Lite or Zen 8000 Lite and can find no explanation of the difference(s).

Can anybody shed any light? Are there any other things that I ought to bear in mind?

I was tempted to go to the BT Broadband with unlimited calls package but fear that my experience might not be too good. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Daz

Edited by dazbarber (Sat 28-Jan-12 14:35:46)

Standard User techguy
(committed) Sat 28-Jan-12 18:35:43
Print Post

Re: Zen 8000 Lite v Zen Lite

[re: dazbarber] [link to this post]

Hi Daz.

Zen 8000 refers to the fact that its an up to 8 Meg service (what used to be referred to as ADSL Max) whereas Lite is up to 20 Meg (ADSL 2+)

I did exactly as you are and just bought a bank of bandwidth, I still have around 20GB in the 'bank' as it rolls over until used.

BT traffic shape from what I've heard, Zen do not.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 28-Jan-12 18:36:42)

Standard User dazbarber
(regular) Sat 28-Jan-12 21:35:39
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help.

My current router isn't ADSL2+ capable (I bought it from Zen when I joined back in about 2003). I'm assuming it would work with Zen Lite but only at up to 8 Meg. Does that sound correct?

Are there any reasons at all to go for the Zen 8000 Lite product over the Zen Lite?

I'm still tempted by BT - the fact that a new wireless router is included for free and that it includes 'anytime' calls as well all helps but the 18month contract and reputation are making me nervous.

Then of course there's the option of Zen Talk...

Daz

Edited by dazbarber (Sat 28-Jan-12 23:36:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative SkyFire
(isp) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:41:10
Print Post

Hi,

What speeds are you getting now?

If you're below 6.5Mbit/s there's a chance ADSL2+ wouldn't be of any benefit (and would potentially be worse, the slower your current connection is).

ta,
Phil.

--
Phil Long
ZeN Performance and Process Improvement Manager
15.4" MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt- raaa!

Please note, I will not respond to unsolicited private messages.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User dazbarber
(regular) Mon 30-Jan-12 13:21:19
Print Post

[re: SkyFire] [link to this post]

I'm almost at full speed so no, not below 6.5Mbit/s.

If I go ahead and I keep my current router might I be best to go for the Zen8000lite service? Can I then swap to Zen Lite without charge if/when I get a new router?

Are the extra Gb the same cost for each service?

Thanks,

Daz
ISP Representative mickbzen
(isp) Tue 31-Jan-12 13:12:24
Print Post

Hi

Your more than welcome to change to Zen 8000 Lite and then when you have purchased a new ADSL+2 compatible router you can then re-grade for free to the Zen Lite (based on line speeds referred to in Phil's email above)

If you would like to change your service please PM your details and ill arrange for someone to contact you.

Kind Regards

Mick Bolton

ZeN Internet Customer Services
ZeN are recruiting!
Click here to view the opportunities available.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to